Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-03-2011, 06:08 PM   #1
portablejim
Enthusiast
portablejim has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo Touch Black
Overdrive Library allowing online signup?

Is there any Overdrive library that allows people to sign-up online without requiring the person to be living in the area or at least able to visit the brick and mortar library?
portablejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 08:18 PM   #2
ATimson
Evangelist
ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
The Free Library of Pennsylvania lets out-of-area people sign up via mail for $35/year. (Their link to their Overdrive catalog requires you to log in, for some reason; it's freely accessible even without a login.)
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 08:37 PM   #3
rdfry
loving the books
rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted Nook, Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, Galaxy Note 5, 2 Fire 7s Note 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATimson View Post
The Free Library of Pennsylvania lets out-of-area people sign up via mail for $35/year. (Their link to their Overdrive catalog requires you to log in, for some reason; it's freely accessible even without a login.)
I have cards at 15 different libraries and can search their Overdrive catalogs without signing in.
rdfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 08:57 PM   #4
portablejim
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATimson View Post
And for that I would need to get my hands on some physical American Dollars . and pay for international postage , but thanks for the info.
Old 07-03-2011, 09:11 PM   #5
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by portablejim View Post
And for that I would need to get my hands on some physical American Dollars . and pay for international postage , but thanks for the info.
There's a thread around here somewhere about folks from outside the US being able to pay via credit card, a search should turn it up.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 09:28 PM   #6
thaigreg
Connoisseur
thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.

Device: BeBook/JBL/Kindle 3
Quote:
HI portablejim,

Try this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93451.
It speaks specifically to AUS & NZ residents.

Greg
thaigreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 10:18 PM   #7
portablejim
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaigreg View Post
HI portablejim,

Try this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93451.
It speaks specifically to AUS & NZ residents.

Greg
Thanks
Old 07-03-2011, 10:54 PM   #8
redbees
Enthusiast
redbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfolded

Device: Paperwhite 2, Nexus 7
portablejim,

The Singapore library, referred to on their website as the National Library Board Singapore or NPL, is free and accessible to those outside the country. Non-residents who join must supply a 'passport number'. If you are not likely to travel to Singapore, you can just make one up (as few as six digits may work, but I used nine). Here is a link to their sign-in page.

http://singapore.lib.overdrive.com/E...en/Default.htm

I suggest bookmarking it, because if you reach their main page through googling Singapore Library, you'll likely get lost and reach a page that won't let you actually access the digital catalogue.

When you register, you'll be told to await a confirmation email. I don't think they actually send them out, so don't wait for one. You ought to be able to sign in immediately using the ID number and password you have selected.

Good luck.

ETA:

Sorry for not being clearer and not including more detail initially.

If you follow the link you will reach the 'Getting Started With Digital Media' page. It contains two links to the the sign-in page. You may access the page where you actually sign in, plus a prompt to register by clicking on either 'Log In' located in a red box labelled 'Digital Catalogue', or clicking 'My Account' located in a dark blue bar across the top of the page. This page also contains a 'Quick Search' box which allow you to search the digital catalogue.

Here is a link to take you directly to the 'Digital Catalogue - Login' page: https://secure3.libraryreserve.com/s...=MyAccount.htm

At the 'Digital Catalogue - Login' page, you will be prompted to either sign in or to sign up.

Last edited by redbees; 07-04-2011 at 12:55 PM. Reason: additional details, clarification
redbees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 12:08 AM   #9
amward
Wizard
amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Eco Eclipse, Sony PRS 350 (pink), Ipod Touch, Kindle Touch
Quote:
No you don't, if you go to their website there is a downloadable application form which you can fill in and either scan and email or post to them. On receipt they will send you a library number and details for paying by credit card. You then have a couple of days to pay up before they pull the number.

I plan on joining soon.
amward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 01:53 AM   #10
denysm
denysm doesn't litterdenysm doesn't litterdenysm doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbees View Post
portablejim,

The Singapore library, referred on their website as the National Library Board Singapore or NPL, is free and accessible to those outside the country. Non-residents who join must supply a 'passport number'. If you are not likely to travel to Singapore, you can just make one up (as few as six digits may work, but I used nine). Here is a link to their sign-in page.

http://singapore.lib.overdrive.com/E...en/Default.htm

I suggest bookmarking it, because if you reach their main page through googling Singapore Library, you'll likely get lost.

When you register, you'll be told to await a confirmation email. I don't think they actually send them out, so don't wait for one. You ought to be able to sign in immediately using the ID number and password you have selected.

Good luck.
I got registered OK and am able to sign in. However, when I sign in I get this message:

You have limited access to the eResource collection

and when I click on any item in their collection, I get this message:

You are not authorized to view this eResource.

I've waited a couple of hours since I logged in, and no email arrived.
denysm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 11:49 AM   #11
Uluhara
Connoisseur
Uluhara has learned how to read e-booksUluhara has learned how to read e-booksUluhara has learned how to read e-booksUluhara has learned how to read e-booksUluhara has learned how to read e-booksUluhara has learned how to read e-booksUluhara has learned how to read e-books

Device: sony prs-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by denysm View Post
I got registered OK and am able to sign in. However, when I sign in I get this message:

You have limited access to the eResource collection

and when I click on any item in their collection, I get this message:

You are not authorized to view this eResource.

I've waited a couple of hours since I logged in, and no email arrived.
you are at the wrong place ... have been there, too

try this link

link

and use the Log In on the left side (inside the red box)

The number they are asking for is the passport number you provided ....
Uluhara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 12:17 PM   #12
redbees
Enthusiast
redbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfolded

Device: Paperwhite 2, Nexus 7
densym,

Sorry you're having trouble. There are two ways you can sign in using the first link I posted above.

1. After following the link, click on 'Log In', located in a red box labelled 'Digital Catalogue' in the upper left hand side of the page.

or,

2. After following the link, at the top of the page, in a dark blue bar you'll find 'My Account'. Click on this, and you'll be taken to a sign-in page which has prompts for 'NRIC/Membership no. /FIN', which is the 'passport' number you chose at registration; and your username.

I checked the link again, as I did before I posted it. It is the one I use to access the Singapore Library. From there you may either search the digital catalogue using the 'Quick Search' box located in the upper left, or click a link to the sign-in page.

Here is a link to take you directly to the sign-in page referenced in points #1 and 2: https://secure3.libraryreserve.com/s...=MyAccount.htm

Also, it is not necessary to wait for a confirmation email, as they don't actually send one out. You can sign in as soon you have completed the registration process.

I see that I should have included more/better details in my initial post and will edit to add them now.

(Here is the first link I included in my post above, the NLP 'Getting Started With Digital Media' page. This page includes a search box for finding digital media, and two links to the sign-in page. http://singapore.lib.overdrive.com/6...en/Default.htm).

Last edited by redbees; 07-04-2011 at 01:11 PM.
redbees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 04:17 PM   #13
denysm
denysm doesn't litterdenysm doesn't litterdenysm doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Touch
Uluhara and Redbees:

Thank you very much - the expanded instructions worked perfectly.

denysm
denysm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 11:26 PM   #14
Uluhara
Connoisseur
Uluhara has learned how to read e-booksUluhara has learned how to read e-booksUluhara has learned how to read e-booksUluhara has learned how to read e-booksUluhara has learned how to read e-booksUluhara has learned how to read e-booksUluhara has learned how to read e-books

Device: sony prs-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by denysm View Post
Uluhara and Redbees:

Thank you very much - the expanded instructions worked perfectly.

denysm
great you got it to work
Uluhara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:25 AM   #15
John Peterson
John Peterson began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbees View Post
You ought to be able to sign in immediately using the ID number and password you have selected.
What's the "ID number"?

Read access information
• The registration page at pl.sg state "Singaporean / Permanent Resident / NLB Member / Foreigner with FIN", "[Able to access NLB Digital account and enjoy usage of selected online databases from home.]" and "Foreigner without FIN", "[Able to access eResources in the libraries only.]".

Registration
• Submitting rand(9 digits) as "NRIC / FIN /Birth Certificate/Library Membership No" at pl.sg return "Invalid Identification No.".
• Submitting rand(9 digits) as "Passport No" (actionForm.librarymembershipno) at pl.sg return a valid session id. In addition a "Username" (actionForm.username) is submitted.

pl.sg login
• Login at pl.sg with "Username" returns a valid session id.
• Login at pl.sg with "Passport No" returns "The user name / password is incorrect.".

Overdrive login
• Login at secure3.libraryreserve.com with "Username" as "DLUsername" returns "Login Error.", "We're sorry, but the specified library patron account information is not valid.".
• Login at secure3.libraryreserve.com with "Passport No" as "DLUsername" returns "Login Error. We're sorry, but the specified library patron account information is not valid.".

Account information
• Account details at pl.sg return "NLB Membership Type None", "NLB Membership Expiry Date NA".

Please verify or correct the above.

Thanks!

Last edited by John Peterson; 10-01-2012 at 09:45 AM.
John Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote