Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-30-2007, 12:18 PM   #16
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by carchase View Post
Does the Reader slow down significantly if you load a ton of books on it (other than the initial write to media.xml and cache.xml)? I've order an 8 gig card and I'd like to keep all of my books on it if possible.
The PRS500 did have a problem with large, filled-up cards. But the latest firmware update fixed that. It'll only be a tad slow on the initial opening of a book. But parsing a new inserted SD-card is fast.
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 11:30 PM   #17
l0h
l0h began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhill View Post
I use the 4gb SD card that I used in my 500 without any problems. It is not HD. The 505 shows it as 4gb.
Dhill, could you please provide more details on that 4gb SD, with manufacturer product number if possible?

(I'm on the market for 4gb sd card that would work correctly in PRS-500 and want to be sure that I'm getting the "correct" one).

I assume you are talking about non-SDHC 4gb SD (something like that: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820208086).

Am I correct? If so, then what exactly firmware version do you have in your PRS-500? Is it the latest one: 1.0.03.07170 where sony fixed a couple bugs (memory size available for user).

And the last question... I see several messages say that even if 4GB SD card installed in PRS-500, then the only availalbe memory would be still 2GB. Is it true in your case OR can you see/access all 4GB and use them for book storage?

Thank you in advance!
l0h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 11:34 PM   #18
l0h

Quote:
Originally Posted by athlonkmf View Post
That's incorrect. Transcend has a 4GB non-SDHC card. THe 500 can read and write that up till 2GB.
Athlonkmf,

Is that the Transcend card you were talking about: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820208086

I'm trying to find any proof that somebody was successful using that particular card in PRS-500 and was able to see/access all 4GB.
Do you personally have this card and tested it?

Thank you in advance.
Old 01-06-2008, 11:37 PM   #19
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I can settle that question for you, l0h: the PRS line only handles up to 2GB in an SD card (if you put in a larger one than that, you'll only see the first 2GB). They can handle larger MemorySticks though.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 11:49 PM   #20
l0h

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
I can settle that question for you, l0h: the PRS line only handles up to 2GB in an SD card (if you put in a larger one than that, you'll only see the first 2GB). They can handle larger MemorySticks though.
Thanks, NatCh! Looks like, the only way to get a higher memory capacity (> 2GB) is to buy a Memory Stick card. Correct?

BTW... In case anyone is on market to buy more memory for his eReader... I just found that deal on Frys.com: http://shop3.outpost.com/product/5211767
Old 01-07-2008, 11:12 AM   #21
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by l0h View Post
Looks like, the only way to get a higher memory capacity (> 2GB) is to buy a Memory Stick card. Correct?
That's correct, l0h.

You should also be aware that using a memory card will reduce your battery life somewhat -- they draw power too. I know that's obvious, but most folks don't seem to think about it until it's pointed out.

However, I would suggest that you give some thought to whether you really want that much memory before you go out and buy it.

What I mean is, most folks seem find sorting through more than about a dozen files (ten titles to a screen) to be too cumbersome to want to mess with in practice. They also seem to find that with ten or twelve books on it at a time, they have more than enough time to add new titles and remove old ones without ever running out of stuff to read. I think of it as using the Reader as a sort of digital reading shelf: you know, the place you stack the books you plan to read next? My wife is just as happy to get that pile off the bedroom floor, which is where it lived for several years before I got my Reader (not eReader, by the way -- that's a reading software application for the Palm platform ).

I'd recommend that you get your Reader and see how you actually use it. There's more than enough memory to see how you feel about wading through a hundred files or so on it, and if you already have an SD card handy, you can add it to the mix as well and see what you think of that.

Anyway, if you find that sorting through the files is something you're willing to deal with in order to accomplish whatever it is that you're trying to do that you want more than 2 GB of space, you can always pick up a MemoryStick after a couple of weeks -- they'll be cheaper by then anyway.

Also, you should be aware that the 505 will handle a 2 GB SD card and an 8 GB MemoryStick at the same time (it has 2 separate slots), so you can actually add 10 GB to its on-board memory, if you really want to go there.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 11:09 PM   #22
dhill
Connoisseur
dhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to behold

Device: iPad 2, Kindle Fire, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Dhill, could you please provide more details on that 4gb SD, with manufacturer product number if possible?

(I'm on the market for 4gb sd card that would work correctly in PRS-500 and want to be sure that I'm getting the "correct" one).

I assume you are talking about non-SDHC 4gb SD (something like that: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820208086).

Am I correct? If so, then what exactly firmware version do you have in your PRS-500? Is it the latest one: 1.0.03.07170 where sony fixed a couple bugs (memory size available for user).

And the last question... I see several messages say that even if 4GB SD card installed in PRS-500, then the only availalbe memory would be still 2GB. Is it true in your case OR can you see/access all 4GB and use them for book storage?

Thank you in advance!
I had the latest FW installed. I never got close to adding 25mb to the SD card so I replaced it with a 2gb card. I also have a 4gb MS card for storage. I put the 4gb card in my PDA to store maps for gps.
dhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 10:47 AM   #23
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
how much is too little?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhill View Post
I never got close to adding 25mb to the SD card so I replaced it with a 2gb card.
I suspect that for books 2GB is more than enough, but if you start converting opera CDs to MP3s to listen to on your Reader, think big . I'm reluctantly looking at buying a bunch of SD cards to handle my classical/opera collection.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 11:27 AM   #24
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
I suspect that for books 2GB is more than enough, but if you start converting opera CDs to MP3s to listen to on your Reader, think big . I'm reluctantly looking at buying a bunch of SD cards to handle my classical/opera collection.
It might be easier to spend the money on an inexpensive mp3 player. Many are quite small and not much more expensive than the memory cards. Plus you wouldn't be tied to your Reader for listening to music. Just a thought. Personally, I have never considered listening to music on my Reader. (I actually have 2 Sony music players because I prefer their Atrac3+ format which, ironically, they are now backing away from.)
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 08:21 AM   #25
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Athlonkmf,

Is that the Transcend card you were talking about: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820208086

I'm trying to find any proof that somebody was successful using that particular card in PRS-500 and was able to see/access all 4GB.
Do you personally have this card and tested it?

Thank you in advance.
It's a bit late, but just to clearify it, yes I personally have the 4GB transcend card. When trying to put more than 2GB of data in it to the pRS500 through the ebookprogram, it will simply say that it can't allocate more memory. If you throw the books in through other means, the reader will crash.
The same happened to a mstick >2GB by the way!

I now have a PRS505, but my 4GB card got loaned out. When I get it back, i'll try to see if it works on the PRS505 (as that one can read >2GB-memorysticks
Old 02-28-2008, 05:05 PM   #26
moz
Addict
moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
II'm reluctantly looking at buying a bunch of SD cards to handle my classical/opera collection.
Seriously, go for a dedicated mp3 player. Battery life is really good and you get navigation that's optimised for music collections. You will probably find that you have to reconvert much of your library or at least retag it in order to get best value from any player, as most of them are optimised for artist/album/track directory layout and tagging.

Since I use FLAC as my PC storage format it was easy enough for me to make a playlist of all my classical tracks, set up a script that converts to MP3 and says "artist=composer, album=work, track=track number + opus number + performer + work + track" and most mp3 players cope reasonably well with that. It just takes a day or so to run and I needed a fair bit of spare disk space But the resulting 2-3GB of 128kbit/s mp3 work really well on most of the players that I've tried (there's only 5000 tracks, a bigger collection should also be fine).
moz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 07:09 PM   #27
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
As far as managing such a huge list of books -- I had 350+ books at last count. And people here are saying this isn't even "large" collection! They're mostly from here at Mobileread. I decided I needed to keep a TXT file which listed all the titles. Yes, I have to manage that file manually. But I can open that file, scan for a title to read next, and THEN go out to the menu [on my Kindle] and find the book. If the text file starts with 00 or zz then I know where to quickly find it.

Just an idea -- borrow it if you want; ignore it otherwise!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 07:23 PM   #28
shousa
Groupie
shousa doesn't littershousa doesn't littershousa doesn't litter

Quote:
Originally Posted by moz View Post
Since I use FLAC as my PC storage format it was easy enough for me to make a playlist of all my classical tracks, set up a script that converts to MP3 and says "artist=composer, album=work, track=track number + opus number + performer + work + track" and most mp3 players cope reasonably well with that. It just takes a day or so to run and I needed a fair bit of spare disk space But the resulting 2-3GB of 128kbit/s mp3 work really well on most of the players that I've tried (there's only 5000 tracks, a bigger collection should also be fine).
Please please give me that script!!!

Scratch that - can use foobar (has GUI) - but what an idea to mass convert, thanks a bunch!

Last edited by shousa; 02-28-2008 at 07:28 PM.
shousa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 09:11 PM   #29
moz
Addict
moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by shousa View Post
Scratch that - can use foobar (has GUI) - but what an idea to mass convert, thanks a bunch!
Happy to help. FWIW I also use foobar for most things musical, it's an excellent program. You know about the columns UI and "get tags from freedb" I trust?

(anyway, back to ebooks.... )
moz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 06:35 PM   #30
athlonkmf
Guru

To bump this topic up.

I've got my 4GB SD (non SDHC) card back (I've lend it out to use in a camera on a holiday trip) and I can confirm that a non-SDHC 4GB card can be used FULLY with the PRS505. I've thrown in 3.7GB worth of manga in it and can read them.

(and if formatted to fat, it's really fast too )