Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-05-2010, 02:32 PM   #1
Maz
Maz began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Smile Amazon UK Kindle Book Store Open !!!!

You can shop for Kindle books on the UK site. My K3 is now showing and I can deliver books to it. At the moment I can still shop on the US Site, but I guess if
I make a purchase on the UK store I will be asked to migrate my account.

Just checked some prices of books in my wish list, some are cheaper on US site so will be making some purchases this evening before changing to UK site.

One book I wanted to buy, '**** my dad says', I wasn't able to buy in US Store a while back due to geographical restrictions, I can now buy. I actually went to a real book store and read a 'sample' and decided against buying!

Happy Shopping
Maz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 03:23 PM   #2
babyd
Addict
babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony:505, 600, 350, 650, Kindle 3 & PW, Kobo Mini & Aura HD
wow, Im pretty impressed with the pricing.....

however, it clearly states on the page that prices inclue VAT (expected) and Amazon Whispernet charges !! I thought Whispernet was free delivery???? Looks to me like they are charging in the book price for the wireless delivery of the books, surely that isn't right!?

Even free out of copyright books have this charge 74p, sounds odd to me and not what they advertise on the Kindle page, free ebook downloads, yet they are charging now for it.
babyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 03:28 PM   #3
Erinath
Shy Philosopher
Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Nook Simple Touch, Nook HD+ & Kindle Keyboard (wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by babyd View Post
Even free out of copyright books have this charge 74p, sounds odd to me and not what they advertise on the Kindle page, free ebook downloads, yet they are charging now for it.
Not all books have this fee, it's worth checking out the free books.
Erinath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 03:34 PM   #4
Varley
Varley began at the beginning.

Device: Gen3
Some books which are available to UK buyers on the .com site are substantially cheaper there than on the .co.uk site.

After America by John Birmingham is $16.80 on .com and $24.44 on .co.uk

Needless to say I bought it on .com
Varley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 03:49 PM   #5
babyd
Addict
babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

yeah I have a US account as present as I was using the Kindle app on my phone.....I wont transfer though till I get my kindle in my hands. Untill then I'll get what freebies and bargains I can then switch
Old 08-05-2010, 04:11 PM   #6
zooby
zooby will become famous soon enoughzooby will become famous soon enoughzooby will become famous soon enoughzooby will become famous soon enoughzooby will become famous soon enoughzooby will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle keyboard, kindle voyage, kindle oasis
It also shows delivery estimate as 29september!!! i ordered within 4 hours of it coming online

EDIT: its now dissapeared. :s

Last edited by zooby; 08-05-2010 at 04:13 PM.
zooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 04:16 PM   #7
sunnysmiles
Addict
sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: I pad air, kindle pw2 and kindle touch , kindle had fire Nook pad nook
I thought the prices were very reasonable and am happy to pay the prices . I migrated my account over to Uk and managed to download onto I Pad without a problem. I must not buy another reading device .
sunnysmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 04:47 PM   #8
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I just bought Twilight for £3.34, I thought it was a reasonable price. I don't plan on buying many books as I have 100's already to read but want to see how it all works. I am going on holiday at the end of September so starting my book browsing early.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 04:56 PM   #9
babyd
Addict

yep, Im hoping they stay this good, very nice to see ebooks same as or cheaper than PB, great stuff
Old 08-05-2010, 05:35 PM   #10
zooby
zooby will become famous soon enoughzooby will become famous soon enoughzooby will become famous soon enoughzooby will become famous soon enoughzooby will become famous soon enoughzooby will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle keyboard, kindle voyage, kindle oasis
its back again, says it ships 29th september, i ordered this at about 12 oclock in the afternoon on the 29th
zooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 02:12 AM   #11
babyd
Addict

if it helps, these are my dates....

I order the wi-fi on 31st and it now shows delivery 30th Sept
the 3G I ordered 3rd Aug it shows delivery 5th Oct.....

yet the UK Kindle page shows order today for Sept 8th delivery !!!!

How can they show early delivery on order page then allocate you a later date !?? I ordered the wifi before they sold out, now its shows delivery of 30th Sept ! Yet if I order today I am told Sept 8th?????????????????
Old 08-06-2010, 02:53 AM   #12
Maz
Maz began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Hi

Ordered 29th July 7 am - Wireless/3G version now showing 30/09 as delivery date!

Not happy, with a lot of other people.
Maz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 03:42 AM   #13
deadite66
Groupie
deadite66 began at the beginning.

Device: irex iliad, uk Kindle gen3
same here, ordered on the 29th but delivery date 28th sep.
deadite66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 03:48 AM   #14
babyd
Addict

I just called them and they have no idea why the order summary pages show these late dates. They assured me that the dates shown when I ordered are the accurate ones. They are putting this information to the web teams to find out what is going on.

They had an update dated 6th Aug that states orders placed by noon on 1st Aug will be shipped by 27th Aug and from then till last night they ship 1st some first served, but by Sept 4th.........from today they will ship by Sept 8th. Their own update to CS reps today..........
Old 08-06-2010, 05:17 AM   #15
bluemoonjules
Connoisseur
bluemoonjules is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 3G
Thanks for the Amazon shipping update - I enquired and got a standard response - before 4th Sept was my original estimate as I came late to the party.

Back to the UK store opening - I see there are 2 free games - but they are on the US site and don't seem to be available on the UK site - anybody help with this?
bluemoonjules is offline   Reply With Quote