Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-04-2011, 05:09 PM   #1
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Jobs at Kobo

For anyone interested:
http://kobobooks.com/jobs

I'd imagine you would have to be located in Toronto, or willing to move, but that's up to the hiring manager.

Some roles specifically related to the eReader and eReader software:

eReader Product Manager

Intermediate QA Analyst – eReading Devices Team

Scrum Master / Program Manager

C++ Developer

Let me know if you have any questions
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 11:05 PM   #2
kiwipippa
Fanatic
kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, kobo touch (dead), kindle touch, android phone
Oh, the QA Analyst - my dream job. Is Toronto anywhere near Auckland, New Zealand? I'm a good swimmer.
kiwipippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2011, 10:39 AM   #3
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Closer than here in Perth
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 08:11 PM   #4
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
That's a very comprehensive list of jobs within the company at the link. It's tempting to think about ... sounds like an exciting team environment.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 05:24 AM   #5
ringerc
Enthusiast
ringerc is on a distinguished road

Device: Kobo
Shame they're all in Canada. Much better than the USA, but still very far away from us in Perth.

A company like Kobo would seem to be an ideal candidate for tele-work, but there's no indication of interest in that on the site. I tend to associate on-site development work with "lots of meetings" but I can see it being different in a company involved in building embedded systems where there's real hardware to play with.

I'd be almost tempted to try for work, if only to get the chance to play with new hardware ... and get my hands on the Nickel sources. Unfortunately, they all read like full time jobs, which wouldn't be compatible with my existing work for a newspaper here in Perth.

(Hi sabredog, btw. I'm in Queens Park)

Last edited by ringerc; 02-06-2011 at 05:26 AM.
ringerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2011, 01:56 AM   #6
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
hi ringerc, not too far from me. I am in Mt Pleasant
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 06:51 PM   #7
HamsterRage
Evangelist
HamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notes

Are you guys having trouble finding a ScrumMaster? I saw a posting for one on your site months ago.
HamsterRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 12:05 AM   #8
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamsterRage View Post
Are you guys having trouble finding a ScrumMaster? I saw a posting for one on your site months ago.
We hired a couple, and now we need more. I expect that posting (and others) to be up for a while. The hiring will have a tough time catching up to the growth.

Last edited by SameerH; 02-10-2011 at 10:47 AM.
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 11:05 AM   #9
JCKobo
Kobo Product Guy
JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Vox
And just think - if you apply and get that eReader Product Manager job, you can still talk to people on Mobile Read, but get paid to do it!

OMG!
JCKobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:58 PM   #10
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
LOL - I had to go google Scrum Master - and scrum - I don't think I can help you guys... But having suffered through most other forms of software engineering, I'd sure like to watch this process from the sidelines --- definitely 'chicken' here
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 10:27 AM   #11
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameerH View Post
For anyone interested:
http://kobobooks.com/jobs

I'd imagine you would have to be located in Toronto, or willing to move, but that's up to the hiring manager.

Some roles specifically related to the eReader and eReader software:

eReader Product Manager

Intermediate QA Analyst – eReading Devices Team

Scrum Master / Program Manager

C++ Developer

Let me know if you have any questions

What no system administration positions .

Actually, all of this looks cool enough I might be tempted to brush off my rusty C++ coding skills if it weren't for the fact that I like my current job.. and Sys admins have better job security .

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 12:38 AM   #12
kiwipippa
Fanatic
kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, kobo touch (dead), kindle touch, android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by pholy View Post
LOL - I had to go google Scrum Master - and scrum - I don't think I can help you guys... But having suffered through most other forms of software engineering, I'd sure like to watch this process from the sidelines --- definitely 'chicken' here
I still imagine a scrum master with his head between the legs of a bunch of blokes with cauliflower ears and no necks. Goodness knows why the software world picked that term.

My workplace has recently gone "Agile" and being in NZ scrum means rugby scrum so we always have a quiet laugh about it.

It is not much fun being in a real scrum, just ask the guys with no ears left. Mind, you sometimes it's not much fun being in an agile one either.
kiwipippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 10:27 AM   #13
3d0g
I make fjords.
3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: kobo 1 (retired), kobo 2, iPad, G2, Galaxy Tab 7+
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwipippa View Post
Goodness knows why the software world picked that term.
Because Project Manager (which is all a scrum really is) is no longer "cool".

I am a fan of Agile though. Daily stand-ups in front of peers really puts the coals to the feet of slacker developers.
3d0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 08:31 PM   #14
HamsterRage
Evangelist
HamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3d0g View Post
Because Project Manager (which is all a scrum really is) is no longer "cool".
Good God, no.

Scrum Masters are absolutely NOT project managers. There really is no project manager role in Scrum at all. The Scrum Manager is simply responsible for making sure that the rules of Scrum are followed. His only other official role is to make sure that impediments that are raised during the daily stand-ups are cleared as quickly as possible. For that purpose alone, it often helps if the Scrum Master has some kind of managerial authority, but that's really it.

Scrum sounds like a simple idea, and it's easy to dismiss it as just the latest term for the same old project management, but there's something about it that is profoundly different from way things have always been done.
HamsterRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 09:51 AM   #15
3d0g
I make fjords.
3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: kobo 1 (retired), kobo 2, iPad, G2, Galaxy Tab 7+
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamsterRage View Post
Good God, no.

Scrum Masters are absolutely NOT project managers. There really is no project manager role in Scrum at all. The Scrum Manager is simply responsible for making sure that the rules of Scrum are followed. His only other official role is to make sure that impediments that are raised during the daily stand-ups are cleared as quickly as possible. For that purpose alone, it often helps if the Scrum Master has some kind of managerial authority, but that's really it.

Scrum sounds like a simple idea, and it's easy to dismiss it as just the latest term for the same old project management, but there's something about it that is profoundly different from way things have always been done.
We'll have to agree to disagree then HamsterRage.

When we went Agile, the PMs were sent to scrum training and presto - they became the scrums. Their job is 90% the same it always was: keeping meetings (now standups) on track, removing impediments, revising schedule changes, etc.
3d0g is offline   Reply With Quote