Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 06-22-2010, 05:27 AM   #1
randomname
randomname began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Audio in ePub?

Hello. Has anyone had success embedding an audio file into an ePub? I can't seem to get any clear instructions on this and it seems that it's not really a supported feature.

I'm new to creating ePub files, so any clear guidance would be welcome.

Thanks!
randomname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 11:51 PM   #2
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
I'm not aware of any ePub software that would support an embedded audio file, except possibly those that are plugins for a browser, e.g., EPUBReader for Firefox might support HTML5 <audio> tags, and in that case, you'd probably embed the audio file exactly like you'd embed an image. But this is not going to work on any portable devices. (I'd be glad if I were wrong though.) The ePub 2.0 spec looks like it might support the HTML <object> tag which might make such a thing possible, but the spec isn't even finalized, as far as I know, and certainly there is no ePub software that supports the new spec yet.
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2010, 05:10 AM   #3
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Liza Daly gave a brief presentation of embedding video here, and I'd imagine audio would work just the same. This would probably work on an iPad, but not on any other current device.

If you're targeting ADE, then you can embed flash in the epub, and there's an example of that here. Needless to say, this certainly won't work on an iPad.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 07:05 AM   #4
randomname
randomname began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
@frabjous: Thanks, I wasn't sure it would work either. I tried but failed. I'll check out another suggestion from charleski and see if I have any luck.

@charleski: Thanks for the link. I'll have a look and see if I can't get it to work with audio. This would be aimed for an iPad, but ideally I'd like this to work in other book readers.
randomname is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audio, epub