Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-02-2010, 06:15 AM   #1
ganymede
Connoisseur
ganymede began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
DIE ZEIT Printedition?

Does anybody has an idea how to transform the print-edition of the german magazine DIE ZEIT (e.g. http://www.zeit.de/2010/01/index) into an ebook with calibre?

Gany
ganymede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 08:37 AM   #2
evanmaastrigt
Connoisseur
evanmaastrigt doesn't litterevanmaastrigt doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganymede View Post
Does anybody has an idea how to transform the print-edition of the german magazine DIE ZEIT (e.g. http://www.zeit.de/2010/01/index) into an ebook with calibre?
It looks sort of doable. I'll give it a try later this week.
evanmaastrigt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2010, 02:46 AM   #3
ganymede
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanmaastrigt View Post
It looks sort of doable. I'll give it a try later this week.
Old 01-07-2010, 02:20 PM   #4
evanmaastrigt
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganymede View Post
Here it is:

diezeitmagazine.zip
Old 01-07-2010, 02:38 PM   #5
Laurentiu
Connoisseur
Laurentiu has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: iPad 2, Sony PRS-600 (no longer used)
Quote:
Here it is:

Attachment 42767
Probably a stupid question, but, how does this work? I tried to add it as a plugin to calibre, but it says 'invalid plugin'. If I open it, I get a *.py file - what do I do with it?

Thanks,
Laurentiu
Laurentiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2010, 03:17 PM   #6
evanmaastrigt
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurentiu View Post
Probably a stupid question, but, how does this work? I tried to add it as a plugin to calibre, but it says 'invalid plugin'. If I open it, I get a *.py file - what do I do with it?
Unzip the package. In calibre click on the little triangle next to 'Fetch news' and choose 'Add a custom news source'. In the dialog click on the last button on the left 'Load recipe from file'. Locate the *.py file and your done. In the "Fetch news' dialog it appears in the 'Custom' section.
Old 01-07-2010, 04:03 PM   #7
ganymede
Connoisseur

Quote:
Here it is:

Attachment 42767
Many thanks!!!!

Last edited by ganymede; 01-07-2010 at 04:05 PM.
Old 01-07-2010, 05:32 PM   #8
Laurentiu
Connoisseur
Laurentiu has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: iPad 2, Sony PRS-600 (no longer used)
Quote:
Unzip the package...
Thanks a lot!
Laurentiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 09:51 AM   #9
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Thanks, this is great!
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 01:59 PM   #10
Baumi
Connoisseur
Baumi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Baumi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Baumi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle DXG, Cybook G3
I f I read the code correctly, this recipe is going to fail in a few weeks:

It only checks the /<YEAR>/index page for the current issue, but that page only holds the first 15 issues of the year. For the next 15, you need to go to /<YEAR>/index?page=2 and so on. (See the year 2009 for an example.)

Solution: Start out with checking /<YEAR>/index?page=4 for issues. If there aren't any, try page=3 and page=2 before trying index without any page parameter.

If that doesn't give a result, /<YEAR-1>/index?page=4 should give one (last year's final issue, for the first few days of the year).

Unfortunately I don't know python, so I can't code that, but this should be enough for a coder to change the recipe.

Last edited by Baumi; 02-02-2010 at 02:00 PM. Reason: Typos
Baumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 06:47 AM   #11
ischeriad
Connoisseur
ischeriad began at the beginning.

Device: PB Pro 903, Kobo Touch [Past: Story, Clié N770C, SL-10, Palm IIIxe, V]
Hi, I made some changes for my own needs to the recipe but want to share them here. Reason was to shorten the title, it got truncated on my reader so I could not distinguish the issues.

(pseudo-patch format )

Code:
< title = u'Die Zeit Magazine'
> title = u'Die Zeit'

< self.title = self.title + ' ' + self.tag_to_string(h4)
> self.title = self.title + ' ' + re.sub('Ausgabe ', '', self.tag_to_string(h4))
And for a higher resolution cover:
Code:
< self.cover_url = a.img['src']
> self.cover_url = re.sub('icon_', '', a.img['src'])
ischeriad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 05:04 AM   #12
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ischeriad View Post
Code:
< self.title = self.title + ' ' + self.tag_to_string(h4)
> self.title = self.title + ' ' + re.sub('Ausgabe ', '', self.tag_to_string(h4))
Code:
< self.cover_url = a.img['src']
> self.cover_url = re.sub('icon_', '', a.img['src'])
These two fixes don't work for me. Calibre complains that it doesn't know 'a' and 're'. I didn't take a look at the rest of the recipe code, but it doesn't seem these objects are created anywhere within it's scope.

(Edited for fixing embarrasingly broken quote tags.)

Last edited by Manichean; 02-19-2010 at 04:08 AM.
Old 02-18-2010, 08:15 PM   #13
ischeriad
Connoisseur

I'm sorry, I forgot to mention that the regular expression module has to be loaded:

Code:
from calibre.web.feeds.news import BasicNewsRecipe
from datetime import date
import re
Old 02-19-2010, 04:10 AM   #14
Manichean
Wizard

What about the a.img that calibre complains about not knowing? I'm assuming that doesn't get fixed? I'm asking because the bigger cover is the thing I'm most interested in.
Old 02-19-2010, 04:41 AM   #15
ischeriad
Connoisseur

I don't know why calibre is complaining, "a" appears in the original recipe already. Does it work for you without the modifications? (I am not the original author)