Notices

Old 12-28-2009, 09:36 PM   #1
civil
This Tornado Loves You.
civil began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-300
Is the Sony software necessary?

Good People,

After much research regarding the nook, Kindle and Sony PRS-600 I bit the bullet and bought the Sony which should be arriving here tomorrow. Trouble is, nearly everything I've read regarding the Sony software for the thing reads like a Who's Who of software nightmares. I've read quite a bit about Calibre and have a question I haven't been able to find the answer to: Is it necessary to even install the Sony software or can I go directly to Calibre?

I ask because - using iTunes and iPods as parallels - I've thankfully avoided the mess that is iTunes with all my iPods by using Media Monkey and never dealing with iTunes. I would love to go the same route with my PRS-600. Please say it's possible!

TIA
civil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 09:40 PM   #2
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
You can skip the Sony software and only install Calibre. The only negative will be you cannot purchase books from Sony. May not be a big deal as there are other online stores to purchase ebooks.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2009, 09:47 PM   #3
civil
This Tornado Loves You.
civil began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-300
Good to know, thanks. I think I'll hold off on the Sony software until the last minute as I'm checking out the Sony site right now and there's nothing there that screams "Buy me" as of yet. I intend to do most of my reading through Google Books and the library, anyway. At least until I need that trashy vacation fix.
civil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 09:52 PM   #4
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Give it a shot now and see if you have any problems downloading it. That's where the problems lie. You don't need to have the Reader to download it. But if you hate iTunes, you'll probably hate the Sony Library I like it just fine, by the way.

But yeah, you can survive without it. The tricky part will be buying new releases if you want to.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 10:29 PM   #5
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
If you want to read library books, you will need to install either the reader library or ADE in order to authenticate the reader and download the books. Personally, I hated ADE. It kept trying to make itself my default reader for things even after I told it not to, and would pop up at the strangest times and demand attention. I never use the reader software except to download library books but it behaves much better than ADE did.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2009, 11:58 PM   #6
wifish
SONY FAN
wifish began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
don't mind softwares ,you can read any text formats supported by your readbook
wifish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 01:15 AM   #7
incogneato
incogneato began at the beginning.

Device: none
I might be buying a Sony reader soon and I was wondering if it was possible just to drag and drop PDFs and other files into it? (Not for buying, just for transferring from my PC)
incogneato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 01:34 AM   #8
chainring
Addict
chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650 (black), Kindle 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by incogneato View Post
I might be buying a Sony reader soon and I was wondering if it was possible just to drag and drop PDFs and other files into it? (Not for buying, just for transferring from my PC)
Yes, and as a matter of fact, that's how I tested some of my technical manuals before purchasing the 600. I took an SD card with a few of the pdf's to a local Best Buy, stuck the card in, waited for it to index the files, then read them. Same premise as copying over via USB, just without a cable.
chainring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 03:09 AM   #9
benlau
Enthusiast
benlau has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.benlau has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.benlau has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by grooks View Post
You can skip the Sony software and only install Calibre. The only negative will be you cannot purchase books from Sony. May not be a big deal as there are other online stores to purchase ebooks.
Two more weakness of only use Calibre
1. Can not change the Tag/Collection of a book after sent to EBook
2. Can not view the text memo and handwriting on PC.

For (2), my PRS Note Reader can solve the problem , it also can export the note to svg/txt format. I am going to port to Windows and Mac.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67113
benlau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 04:01 AM   #10
incogneato
incogneato began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by chainring View Post
Yes, and as a matter of fact, that's how I tested some of my technical manuals before purchasing the 600. I took an SD card with a few of the pdf's to a local Best Buy, stuck the card in, waited for it to index the files, then read them. Same premise as copying over via USB, just without a cable.
whoa thats a great idea, ive been dying to look at some of the PDFs i want to read on an eBook Reader. cant believe i didnt think of that! BestBuy here i come!
incogneato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 04:26 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The vast majority of users have no problems whatsoever with the Sony software. It's basic, but it gets the job done. As always, it's the minority who do have problems who are "vocal" about them - that's just human nature.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 06:14 AM   #12
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
I just drag and drop books to my 300, no need for all the complicated software if you use your reader just to read books. I do have Calibre installed and enjoy its converting format abilities, and keeping track of my ebooks on my computer.

I do not buy books from the Sony Store.....
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 07:26 AM   #13
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The vast majority of users have no problems whatsoever with the Sony software. It's basic, but it gets the job done. As always, it's the minority who do have problems who are "vocal" about them - that's just human nature.

kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 08:57 AM   #14
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Very true.

I use eBook Library only. It is the best way to upload books to any Sony Reader.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote