Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-11-2011, 10:47 AM   #1
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Avoiding Romance offerings at ebook sites?

Anyone know of a way to prevent the flood of chick books when you visit
these sites?

It's bad enough trying to find something worth reading while in the checkout
line at the grocery store. How come us guys have to wade through all that
romance, to find a new Fantasy or SciFi novel? The "new offerings" pages are
full of those mushy stories with their "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter" Guy
covers.

Couldn't they offer a way to exclude some categories from the displayed
books? There are way too many of those frustrated female offerings these
days anyway.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 10:58 AM   #2
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
Anyone know of a way to prevent the flood of chick books when you visit
these sites?

It's bad enough trying to find something worth reading while in the checkout
line at the grocery store. How come us guys have to wade through all that
romance, to find a new Fantasy or SciFi novel? The "new offerings" pages are
full of those mushy stories with their "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter" Guy
covers.

Couldn't they offer a way to exclude some categories from the displayed
books? There are way too many of those frustrated female offerings these
days anyway.

Luck;
Ken
I noticed that too. It should tell you who the target market is for ebooks.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2011, 11:09 AM   #3
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Hey, I want to avoid both the romance AND the SF/fantasy!
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 11:12 AM   #4
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
You should try browsing by genre?

Or are you complaining about the plethora of paranormal romance or romantic urban fantasy when you try to browse fantasy/sci fi? I know I don't like it-- I do read a lot of romance but when it comes to fantasy/sci fi I usually want something quite different, not fangbangers. It's annoying to wade through that when I'm looking for milSF.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 11:13 AM   #5
jessicalynn
Zealot
jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Nook First Gen (broken), iPad, Kindle Touch SO
Wow. Not all women like romance novels. I'm female and I heartily prefer sci-fi over some cheesy romance novel. Stop stereotyping.
jessicalynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2011, 11:33 AM   #6
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
Well, that lets you know that romance is the ebook top seller. There's nothing wrong with that. For years people who wanted to read romance had to wade through the "frustrated guy" offerings. Suck it up.

However, if you are interested I am part of a Fantasy (NOT sci-fi) group at Goodreads. Fantasy Aficionados Great recs.
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 11:44 AM   #7
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Generally stores (real world or cyberspace) tend to go where the readership is I think. Romance has had a large following for many years. Publishers want to make $$ so they tend to stock what they think the readers want and of course authors tend to follow the trends as well in hopes of making a sale. If someone writes a paranormal romance between a vampire and a werewolf for example and makes a good amount of $ on it others see it and figure if he/she can do it so can I and then you have a flood of paranormal romances between a vampire and a werewolf hitting the shelves. And some sellers tend to go more towards just a few genre's that they know they can sell a lot of books in as well I think. Partly that's because the editor and readers tend to buy what they themselves like. You can write a great SF book, but if the readers and editors of a publisher don't like the genre you won't make a sale. And so there are online stores that cater to certain genre's and sub genres.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 11:49 AM   #8
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
I like some romance. BUT my preference is Science Fiction/Fantasy & Mystery/Thrillers. I would like to see more of other genres offered in free books & discounted books.

I mostly shop by genre but I do notice a lot of times romance is chosen as possible reads I'd be interested in. I do buy one now & then, but not that often to suggest that is my preferred read.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 11:49 AM   #9
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
How come us guys have to wade through all that
romance, to find a new Fantasy or SciFi novel? There are way too many of those frustrated female offerings these days anyway.
(snipped)

How come us girls have to put up with stereotypes like "frustrated female" (because that must be the only reason people like romance?)????

I'm female, and I prefer to read SF/F. I've never yet had a problem restricting my ebook browsing by selecting the proper genre filters (though the paranormal romance genre is starting to creep into some searches). Are you saying you can't work a website?
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 11:53 AM   #10
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Romance is really the top-selling genre, and romance readers have been quick to adopt e-reading. The market is just following that. Genre filters work somewhat but I do see a lot of the Charlaine Harris and the like when pulling up "Science Fiction" as a genre, and I don't think that is even SF, it is urban fantasy or something. I like it when a site has subgenre filters like "post-apocalyptic science fiction," "epic fantasy," "historical romance," and the like. That way you can look at offerings closer to what YOU want.
Old 04-11-2011, 12:21 PM   #11
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Having firmly reestablished my "chauvinistic pig" statis, I should admit to there being a
time when, at least the covers situation was reversed. I was of an age that found the
spaceship on the cover more interesting than the scantily clad lady being accosted by
the slimy alien, but looking back that might have annoyed the female book browser.

I do of course use the genre sorts, but it would be nice to be able to do a quick check
of "What's New" and find something besides Romance ebooks. There are a number of
books in different genre, other than romance, that I would be interested in and having
to check into each one separately to see what's new, takes more time.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 12:45 PM   #12
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
When I first got my reader, I downloaded every free book I could, even romance. I then stopped, because I knew I was never going to read them. Growing up my mom always had them around, and from seeing them then I knew they were really not good or interesting to me.

I also noticed then that Harlequin was one of the few publishers that fully embraced ebooks. That is why you see such a flood of romance books. They publish an immense number of books, since romance novels are quick reads and a volume tactic seems to be followed by the publishers (not to mention, most authors in the genre are unknowns, so cheaper for them to produce books). Now, that in mind, it means they have a large backlist they're converting, as well as a good number of new books as well.

As far as filtering, not all sites are designed well enough to allow filtering. For instance, I often hit up free or cheap lists on the various ebook stores, and some of them flat out refuse to let you filter in those categories.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 01:13 PM   #13
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
I noticed that too. It should tell you who the target market is for ebooks.
But how do you decide what the target market is? Sex? Age? Income? Education? Nationality? And what if you're in the things-that-blow-up target but you really like cozy mysteries, or you're in the "chick lit" target and prefer military SF?
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 01:18 PM   #14
Joykins
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
But how do you decide what the target market is? Sex? Age? Income? Education? Nationality? And what if you're in the things-that-blow-up target but you really like cozy mysteries, or you're in the "chick lit" target and prefer military SF?
I like to read:

* contemporary category romances
* heaving bosom type historical romance
AND
* military and postapocalyptic SF
AND
* really dense works of interesting nonfiction on diverse topics like Dawkins' _The Ancestor's Tale_ and Crossan's _The Birth of Christianity_.

Why oh why is the opening browse page not tailored for ME???

Even my automatically generated recommendation lists look weird.
Old 04-11-2011, 02:27 PM   #15
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
I like to read:
*contemporary category romances
*heaving bosom type historical romance
*Sword & Sorcery fantasy (I heart S&S)
*hack & slash action fantasy (Gemmell, anyone?)
*Horribly long character based fantasy (The Name of the Wind)
*Kick-ass female protagonist Urban Fantasy
*Kick-ass male protagonist Urban Fantasy
*Classics
*Adventure Fantasy
*Military Sci-fi
*space opera

You know what Amazon recs for me? Urban survival gear.

Hey, if I can do it, so can you.
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote