Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-06-2010, 08:35 AM   #1
Fif23
Connoisseur
Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
How is the PDF reflow on the 650 ?

How is the PDF reflow on the 650 ?
Smooth, fast, no random "#$%#@#$" rows ?
Fif23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 01:15 PM   #2
jswinden
Nameless Being

A lot depends on the type of PDF. If you are talking about scanned images that were turned into a PDF then reflow will be non-existent. Some PDFs with actual text reflow terribly and some reflow fairly well. But I still have never seen a PDF on any eInk reader that reflowed really well.
Advert
Old 11-06-2010, 05:55 PM   #3
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
Aside of scanned PDFs the 650 does very well although there are some problems with pictures and tables.
I'm currently reading a database guide from Oracle (PDF). While the reflow is very good the sequence of text and tables got disrupted sometimes.

While the sequence in size S (original PDF size) is
text1
table1
text2

it got changed when switching to size M :
text1
table1 (part1)
text2
table1 (part2)
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 06:14 PM   #4
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
A lot depends on the type of PDF. If you are talking about scanned images that were turned into a PDF then reflow will be non-existent. Some PDFs with actual text reflow terribly and some reflow fairly well. But I still have never seen a PDF on any eInk reader that reflowed really well.
I've actually had scanned PDFs that have reflowed really well. I guess it depends on the program you use to scan them. I've seen quite a few PDFs that have flowed really well.

Edited to add: I'm referring to PDFs that I've read on my PRS-505.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 02:46 AM   #5
ebooker
Banned
ebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: sony prs-650!
i've had great experiences with prs650 pdf reflow so long as its text; images though mess up the reading experience sooner or later.
ebooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2010, 03:03 AM   #6
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Wanting to read a PDF on an ereader is like wanting to ride a zebra who is peddling a unicycle.

You might be able to do it, but why bother?
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 03:35 AM   #7
Fif23
Connoisseur
Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Heh So you recommend Netbooks for the job ?
Fif23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 04:09 AM   #8
mrtibbs
E-book Genius
mrtibbs began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 950
I've had no problems. I've found it alot faster from the PRS-900 to the PRS-950
mrtibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 06:47 AM   #9
ebooker
Banned
ebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: sony prs-650!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silencer23 View Post
Heh So you recommend Netbooks for the job ?
Text-only and otherwise simple pdfs should work just fine. I do read journal articles from jstor pretty regularly on it, and it reads very well.

Images can be a challenge depending on their size and layout. Multi-layered pdfs (such as 'text under image') have issues too, again mainly with the 'image' part.

The kinds of issues i've seen with images mainly involve their not getting out of the way of the text on such a relatively small screen. With layered pdfs, the layers which should have been juxtaposed upon each other instead got separated and presented sequentially.

But if your pdf is mainly narrative text, you shouldnt have any real issues.

If you're making your own pdfs (from scans or word docs or pics) I've done that easily and successfully too, again mainly text-based ones. Some pdf creation programs (adobe, abbyy, etc) will allow you to add TOC and page numbering and etc in the resulting pdf too.
Just dont get too fancy.

If you need to read fancy pdf's, a 9" netbook-tablet (like the asus T91 series) should do the trick. Just 2.1 lbs, tablet mode, $280 at amazon, and runs full win7 I use both, a T91 and the sony reader. I prefer the sony for obvious reasons (6 oz and e-ink) but the T91 makes a nice reader (its not much good for anything else anyway) for anything that doesnt fit on the sony.

Last edited by ebooker; 11-07-2010 at 06:52 AM.
ebooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 08:19 AM   #10
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
650 PDF reflow is just great; just a few minor issues.

Although PocketBook 902/903, Asus DR900/950 and MReader would be better because of the bigger display. Unfortunately they are not yet available for purchase just pre-order.
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 11:38 AM   #11
lack
Zealot
lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.

Device: PRS-650
I had good results with PDF reflowing too.
One issue though, change the font size to other than "S" and a complicatedly layout-ed pdf will gone awry.
lack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 03:02 PM   #12
jswinden
Nameless Being

Interesting...almost everyone of you who said reflow is great on the 650 immediately follows that up with a list of caveats that prove reflow sucks. Get an iPad, tablet, or Netbook for the best experience, and forget about eInk with PDFs because MUCH sooner than later the eInk reader will terribly disappoint you. It is easier to launch the Space Shuttle than to modify/create PDFs that look GREAT on an eInk reader!