Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 01-27-2010, 12:04 PM   #391
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeReader View Post
I gave it try and displayed page 4 on the DR800. It is readable, though the font-size is small.
When changing font size, screen goes blank for me.
For you as well?
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:13 PM   #392
DeReader
Connoisseur
DeReader doesn't litterDeReader doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-T1, iRex DR1000S, Kindle DXG, Jetbook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by badbob001 View Post
From that post (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...78&postcount=4), it looks like one has to look for something like a /system/dr800.ini file and modify the contents.

I wanted to check the software download from irex to see if that file exists and surprise, the software downloads for both the dr800s and the dr800sg have been removed. If the file exists, someone please post the contents.
I tried this and it did work! I got a new menu item in the main menu "SD Card". From there, I can see all books organized in the folders (like on the Iliad).

In the "System" dir on the SD-Card is a file "dr.ini", I added the line:

Code:
/apps/er/sys/ctb/showdir=sdcard
with a text editor and rebooted the DR800.

Wow, so folder support ist there, next thing I'll try /enablepdfzoom=true

Last edited by DeReader; 01-27-2010 at 12:35 PM.
DeReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:18 PM   #393
Jumpn Jack Flash
Lazy Git
Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.

Device: iRex DR800S
Quote:
From that post (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...78&postcount=4), it looks like one has to look for something like a /system/dr800.ini file and modify the contents.

I wanted to check the software download from irex to see if that file exists and surprise, the software downloads for both the dr800s and the dr800sg have been removed. If the file exists, someone please post the contents.
As a side note, how would one go about mounting the bin files in particular the rootfs.bin on a linux system for viewing.

If I buy a system, I want to be able to maintain/upgrade the device should the vendor disappear, so iRex is in the lead, not sure if Onyx have their kernel sources out there.
What ever device I get I would like to stick brtfs on the sd and maybe look at an upstart implementation instead of sysv init.
Jumpn Jack Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:18 PM   #394
DeReader
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
When changing font size, screen goes blank for me.
For you as well?
I did not try to change the font size on the document for the photo (rendered in original layout) - one moment...

Now I tried, and the screen goes blank!

I think this is because of the layout inside the PDF which does not support reflowing correct?

Also, the first opening of this PDF file was very slow, despite the small size, something seems to be odd with the file.
Old 01-27-2010, 12:23 PM   #395
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Is that leaving it on all the time (IE in standby), or are you turning it on/off between using it?
Over night I turn it off. The rest of the time I use standby. Usually I don't wait for the auto-standby, but go into standby as soon as I put it away.

EDIT: It can't be turned off yet. Only standby available yet. I've mistaken accidental resets from standby as restarting from turn-off.

Last edited by mgmueller; 01-28-2010 at 10:13 AM.
Old 01-27-2010, 12:28 PM   #396
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:

[deviceinfo]
product_type=DR800S-XW
serial_number....................
software_version=1000
kernel_version=1000
micro_bootloader=1.2
micro_application=1.2

[registry]
/apps/er/sys/global/list_languages=Deutsch;English (UK);Español;Français;Italiano;Nederlands;Ελληνικά ;
/apps/er/sys/global/is_first_boot=false
/apps/er/sys/global/list_locales=de_DE;en_GB;es_ES;fr_FR;it_IT;nl_NL;e l_GR;
/apps/er/sys/flipbar/pageturn_inverted=true
/apps/er/uds/page_margins=0;0;0;0;

Last edited by mgmueller; 01-27-2010 at 12:31 PM.
Old 01-27-2010, 12:30 PM   #397
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
I did not try to change the font size on the document for the photo (rendered in original layout) - one moment...

Now I tried, and the screen goes blank!

I think this is because of the layout inside the PDF which does not support reflowing correct?

Also, the first opening of this PDF file was very slow, despite the small size, something seems to be odd with the file.
Initial opening was extremely slow for me as well. I'd estimate about 20 seconds.
Old 01-27-2010, 12:40 PM   #398
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
Quote:
[deviceinfo]
product_type=DR800S-XW
serial_number....................
software_version=1000
kernel_version=1000
micro_bootloader=1.2
micro_application=1.2

[registry]
/apps/er/sys/global/list_languages=Deutsch;English (UK);Español;Français;Italiano;Nederlands;Ελληνικά ;
/apps/er/sys/global/is_first_boot=false
/apps/er/sys/global/list_locales=de_DE;en_GB;es_ES;fr_FR;it_IT;nl_NL;e l_GR;
/apps/er/sys/flipbar/pageturn_inverted=true
/apps/er/uds/page_margins=0;0;0;0;
Interesting, looks like you can just add a line under the registry section and enable folders. Worth trying, I'd say. :P
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:57 PM   #399
DeReader
Connoisseur

Here two photos after the "folder patch". In the first one you can see the new main menu entry "SD Card", after selecting you can browse the device content with folder structure (second photo).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DR800Fold1.jpg
Views:	384
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	44428   Click image for larger version

Name:	DR800Fold2.jpg
Views:	407
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	44429  
Old 01-27-2010, 12:57 PM   #400
mgmueller
Member Retired

Folder support on iRex 800

As described above: iRex 800 DOES HAVE folder support.
Just a single entry in the .ini file.
Really great. Personally, I don't need it. But the majority seems to consider it essential.
The original "library view" (flat structure) remains intact, so you can have both in parallel.
Important to me: I may have the very same book in various formats = folders. In library view I can decide which one to choose. But it's very nice to have folder view additionally!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07639.jpg
Views:	469
Size:	378.6 KB
ID:	44430   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07641.jpg
Views:	441
Size:	353.5 KB
ID:	44431   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07642.jpg
Views:	429
Size:	347.7 KB
ID:	44432  

Last edited by mgmueller; 01-27-2010 at 01:04 PM.
Old 01-27-2010, 01:01 PM   #401
DeReader
Connoisseur

Quote:
Over night I turn it off. The rest of the time I use standby. Usually I don't wait for the auto-standby, but go into standby as soon as I put it away.
I do not manage to turn my device completely off? If I hold the switch for a few seconds to the left, the DR800 reboots. A short operation of the switch to the left puts my device only in standby mode (blank screen, awakes in a few seconds if I operate the switch again).
Old 01-27-2010, 01:08 PM   #402
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
I do not manage to turn my device completely off? If I hold the switch for a few seconds to the left, the DR800 reboots. A short operation of the switch to the left puts my device only in standby mode (blank screen, awakes in a few seconds if I operate the switch again).
It's tricky and has room for improvement. 2 or 3 times, instead of switching it off, I accidentally did a reboot. This did reset my viewing setting ("by Date Added" instead of "by Title"). After some days I've got the feel for it now. But it's not really intuitive, you actually have to "train" it.
- Briefly sliding off (maybe 0.5 seconds) = standby.
- Switching off for maybe 5 seconds = reset.
- Switching off for maybe 3 seconds = turn off.

EDIT: It can't be turned off yet. Only standby available yet. I've mistaken accidental resets from standby as restarting from turn-off.

Old 01-27-2010, 01:23 PM   #403
badbob001
Fanatic
badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (rip), Kindle Voyage, Fire Tablet 10 '17, iPad '19
Quote:
- Briefly sliding off (maybe 0.5 seconds) = standby.
- Switching off for maybe 5 seconds = reset.
- Switching off for maybe 3 seconds = turn off.
I suppose the switch's reset function explains the lack of a reset hole.
badbob001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 01:26 PM   #404
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
I suppose the switch's reset function explains the lack of a reset hole.
Exactly. Not perfect, having 3 functions on a single switch. So far, I didn't need reset, so it's okay (and I don't have to find a pin when in need to reset).

Old 01-27-2010, 01:35 PM   #405
Jumpn Jack Flash
Lazy Git
Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.

Device: iRex DR800S
The good news is that iRex is monitoring the issues/moaning that are being raised here though more proactive (by that I mean direct official from the horses mouth) responses would be nice.

Still do not know if I will pony up the cash for this.
Jumpn Jack Flash is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
irex 800