Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-05-2011, 06:53 PM   #1
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
HP touchpad price reduced

It looks like HP touchpad is even more affordable now ...

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...ySector&rpc=43

But hurry up if interested, will be for this weekend only.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 08:22 PM   #2
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
I got one, on Amazon with the original case at 19.99. (Apparently the cases were sold out after a few minutes). For my wife, of course!
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 08:27 PM   #3
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
I got one, on Amazon with the original case at 19.99. (Apparently the cases were sold out after a few minutes). For my wife, of course!
Can you share with us your experience so far?
Old 08-05-2011, 08:43 PM   #4
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
Can you share with us your experience so far?
It will take about 2 weeks before I will get it here in Taiwan. I will comment then. There basically is only one reason I bought it -- WebOS seems to be by far the most capable of the mobile OS's.

According to Amazon's sales rankings the price cut really helped, Touchpad sales have really jumped, as discussions on Precentral show (I didn't check it myself).
Old 08-05-2011, 08:50 PM   #5
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
But hurry up if interested, will be for this weekend only.
These tablets are all overpriced to begin with. Even $400 is too much in my opinion.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 09:14 PM   #6
HansTWN
Wizard

Well, Tubemonkey, actually I would have preferred a 128GB option for $600. But at least they still offer that 80GB free online storage.
Old 08-06-2011, 12:34 PM   #7
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Touchpad for $299.99 at Staples

...this weekend only.

Quote:
Tempted by that Woot $380 HP TouchPad deal we mentioned earlier today? There could be a way to get an even cheaper TouchPad, if you’re near a Staples this weekend. The retailer has already dropped the TouchPad by $100 from August 5 to 7, but webOSroundup spotted a Fatwallet coupon that promises another $100 off again. That could bring the 16GB TouchPad down to just $299.99.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 01:51 PM   #8
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
These tablets are all overpriced to begin with. Even $400 is too much in my opinion.
I think that the word is expensive, not overpriced.

Would you pay 200.00 for an HP or Apple tablet? Don't answer, it's obvious you will. But do you really think that will give a good profit margin to companies like HP or Apple? I mean, even a used iPad, you won't find one in excellent condition for less than 300.00 If you do, there is something fishy there or the person is really desperate to sell.

I think that 400 is not cheap but a competitive price. Remember, we are talking about a 10 inches device here.

There are always products and prices for most users. And I don't think tablets are affordable devices, not at this moment, maybe in 1 or 2 years.
Old 08-06-2011, 08:20 PM   #9
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
I think most tablets are priced rather appropriately, considering the hardware and support that goes into them. Well, most of them.

Doesn't change the fact that not many people actually want them, unless it's an iPad. HP is price dropping (er, "sale") because their tablet is failing like every other full powered, non-iPad tablet. Somehow another company just doesn't see what's happening, and insists on chasing a market that does not exist.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 09:18 PM   #10
HansTWN
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtterBooks View Post
I think most tablets are priced rather appropriately, considering the hardware and support that goes into them. Well, most of them.

Doesn't change the fact that not many people actually want them, unless it's an iPad. HP is price dropping (er, "sale") because their tablet is failing like every other full powered, non-iPad tablet. Somehow another company just doesn't see what's happening, and insists on chasing a market that does not exist.
As Android tablets have already taken a 35% market share, that assessment is not quite correct. More aggressive marketing will put them over 50% soon enough. Tablets are cheap (relative to real computers), convenient, and offer a long battery life. And helpful for technophobes, like my wife. Of course, they cannot replace a computer now, and they fill a want, not a need.
Old 08-06-2011, 09:38 PM   #11
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
they cannot replace a computer now, and they fill a want, not a need.
Agree!
Old 08-07-2011, 03:10 AM   #12
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
I've done a lot of reading on that Touchpad, and it seems like the recent update just put the cherry on top of a very compelling mobile experience. I'm intrigued.
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 10:33 AM   #13
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockdaMan View Post
I've done a lot of reading on that Touchpad, and it seems like the recent update just put the cherry on top of a very compelling mobile experience. I'm intrigued.

When you say "reading", you mean you actually own one? If that's the case, can you please confirm how the Kindle app. on landscape mode looks like? Can you turn the page splitting stuff off?
Old 08-07-2011, 03:03 PM   #14
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Webos is supposedly the best of the mobile OS. Unfortunately the hardware is ho hum according to engadget

http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/29/hp-touchpad-review/

But now they've dropped the price, so....

Last edited by Barty; 08-07-2011 at 03:08 PM.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 03:30 PM   #15
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
Quote:
As Android tablets have already taken a 35% market share, that assessment is not quite correct. More aggressive marketing will put them over 50% soon enough. Tablets are cheap (relative to real computers), convenient, and offer a long battery life. And helpful for technophobes, like my wife. Of course, they cannot replace a computer now, and they fill a want, not a need.
My nay-saying could very well be off base. I just haven't seen any full powered non-iPad tablet experience sales beyond "tepid." Sales, not shipments.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote