Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 02-01-2011, 11:58 AM   #16
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockdaMan View Post
show me the evidence that it has ceased to be a difference maker...and I'll accept it. Many want to simply wish it away (as you tried to do), but, of course, reality does not work that way.
Surely the evidence that Apple's app store is not a huge differentiator is the article linked in the original post, the fact that Android phones are outselling iPhones by 2:1 globally?

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 12:27 PM   #17
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
I just read this at the Phandroid site and thought it was too funny.

Quote:
Ray wrote
Quote:
First let me say that I am not a fan of Apple. With that being said, maybe Apple has it right, one phone, one tablet and incremental software upgrades so everyone is pretty much equal. Android has too many phones, too many tabs coming, too may versions of its software. I think they need to streamline and consolidate a little better.

comrade wrote

Ray just described normal market conditions of my youth in USSR 20 years ago companies making reliable, but simple and boring products and deciding what the ‘consumer’ needs and the “party” approving everything they’re allowed to have )))))
There you have it Apple is communistic.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 01:26 PM   #18
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
That have access to the best in class IOS app store? Because that is a huge differentiator no one manufacturer can match.
Ohh plueeez that's an old and tired argument. All major apps are available on both iOs and Android. Each OS app store has some the other does not.

So ok iPhone has 15,000 fart apps and the android has only 1,000. Whatever, Android's Marketplace is just as good.

This argument rang true a year or two ago but today, it's a non issue.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 01:28 PM   #19
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
You cannot sell Android, is open source ...

I am not surprise by Android taking the lead in smartphone Os. It is based on Linux, one of the most stable operating systems in the world. Its low memory footprint and kernel make it suitable for small devices like cellphones or tablets. Besides Google has made a nice work, in my opinion, providing a nice but powerful UI.
every now and then Joe you and I are on the same page

I'm a convert, I was an iPhone guy until the Droids became high end. IMHO there is no comparison.
Old 02-01-2011, 01:48 PM   #20
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
every now and then Joe you and I are on the same page
Another tear-jerking moment brought to you by Joe and Boswd.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 02:07 PM   #21
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Personally I'm very happy that we have the choice of two such excellent platforms as iOS and Android; each is driving the other forward. I'm extremely satisfied with my iPhone; I know that many people are equally happy with their Android devices.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 02:13 PM   #22
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Personally I'm very happy that we have the choice of two such excellent platforms as iOS and Android; each is driving the other forward. I'm extremely satisfied with my iPhone; I know that many people are equally happy with their Android devices.
Exactly. I'm looking forward to see what Apple does with the iPhone 5, and what response that triggers from Google later in the year.

Graham
Old 02-01-2011, 02:20 PM   #23
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Actually I don't think Google cares what apple does. I think they are on their own path.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 02:30 PM   #24
boswd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post

yup, I'm no longer an iPhone guy but as long as the OS's keep one uping each other, we the consumer can only benefit
Old 02-01-2011, 09:53 PM   #25
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
Android phones are outselling iPhones by 2:1 globally?

Graham
To people who would otherwise have bought a Blackberry or a Nokia. Have you noticed that Apple's iPhone sales growth has not been stunted one bit...but Rim and Nokia's growth has?

Lets have this conversation when iPhone sales take a sudden drop while Android phone sales continue to grow.
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 01:11 PM   #26
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
To people who would otherwise have bought a Blackberry or a Nokia. Have you noticed that Apple's iPhone sales growth has not been stunted one bit...but Rim and Nokia's growth has?

Lets have this conversation when iPhone sales take a sudden drop while Android phone sales continue to grow.
A study was released today that sort of confirms this.

Quote:
Yesterday Apple and Verizon opened up the pre-order online store for existing Verizon customers to reserve an iPhone 4. Verizon Wireless issued a press release stating that they stopped taking pre-orders last night at 8:10 pm EST in their most successful first day of sales in their history.
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/cell-phone...n-history/5411

and

Quote:
Online sample company uSamp, which conducted a "highly profiled online panel" of more than 700 smartphone users in late January, published the results Thursday. The survey found that 54 percent of respondents who have an Android or BlackBerry smartphone on Verizon are either very likely (25 percent) or somewhat likely (29 percent) to purchase the Verizon iPhone when it arrives next week.

The report could signal particularly grim news for Research in Motion, as BlackBerry users demonstrated higher interest in switching to the iPhone, with 66 percent indicating a probable switch, compared to 44 percent of Android users. RIM's BlackBerry has lost significant share on Verizon as the carrier has heavily promoted its Android offerings. With the arrival of the iPhone, the BlackBerry on Verizon has been relegated to third place.
http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...rvey_says.html
Old 02-04-2011, 01:45 PM   #27
Graham
Wizard

Quote:
The point being made was that since Android is outselling iPhone by 2:1 globally it is impossible to argue that the iOS app market is a "huge differentiator" in the favour of iPhone over Android.

In fact if one were to follow the logic it would go like this:

Hypothesis: the platform's app market is a huge differentiator for consumers when it comes to selecting between iPhone and Android.

Fact: in the last quarter, globally, Android outsold iPhone by 2:1.

Conclusion: the Android app market is better than the iPhone's.

Your strawman is of course correct, as all good strawmen should be. Both Android and iPhone are eating into the market share of Blackberry and Nokia.

Graham
Old 02-04-2011, 02:09 PM   #28
RockdaMan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
Both Android and iPhone are eating into the market share of Blackberry and Nokia.
True.