Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-15-2010, 02:24 AM   #1
SlowRain
Addict
SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: HTC 10, Asus Phonepad
New Computer--Best way to transfer e-books over

We're going to pick up our new computer tomorrow. I have my e-books on the old one, but I'd like to know the best way to transfer them over to the new one. The burner is toast on the old one, so I can't use CDs. I can zip and upload to the internet, then download, but I don't know which service is best/quickest for this. I don't envision a lot of internet file sharing after I'm done with this little task. Any suggestions?
SlowRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 02:31 AM   #2
Richard Herley
Author
Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
If you don't want to use email, and if your old machine has a USB socket, have you considered a memory stick? Ebook files tend to be quite small and modern sticks can have a capacity of 8 Gb or even more. They're getting much cheaper, too, and are generally useful things to have.

If you are a Mac user you may be able to Firewire the files over; otherwise you can set up a network using an ethernet cable, but that's all rather nerdy and beyond the likes of me.
Richard Herley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 04:23 AM   #3
SlowRain
Addict
SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Ah, yes, a USB memory stick. I'll see if I can borrow one from someone. Thanks.
Old 08-15-2010, 04:25 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If both your machines are connected to the same router, you have a network. Why don't you simply share the drives and copy the files across the network?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 08:01 AM   #5
Dark123
Zealot
Dark123 doesn't litterDark123 doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi
If you zip all of your ebooks, what is the size? If it is not too big, you can upload it to Megaupload.com and then download it.
Or, if you connect the new machine to the network, you will be able to browse the old machines hard drive from it.
On the old machine do this:
Go to start, run and enter cmd.
Type in ipconfig
You will see the IP address, go to the new machine
Go to start, run and enter this \\IPOfTheOldMachine\C$\
It will ask you to enter the account info of the old PC.
The C$ will go to the C:\ of the old machine
Dark123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 08:46 AM   #6
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Old computer >>> reader >>> new computer ..... use the reader as cheap usb memory stick !
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 10:52 AM   #7
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
use the reader as cheap usb memory stick !
Cheap???
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 10:53 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Cheap if you already own it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 11:28 AM   #9
GeoffC
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Cheap???

I am making the logical assumption that the reader is already owned and available
Old 08-15-2010, 11:33 AM   #10
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
If you don't already have one, invest in an external USB hard drive. You should have one anyway (or a combination of several) that has a little bit more capacity as the hard drive in your new computer to keep back ups on. If you feel that is too expensive a solution, how much do you value what you have on your computer? Do you really want to risk losing it all to a crash, etc.?

Last edited by Lady Fitzgerald; 08-15-2010 at 11:36 AM.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 03:47 PM   #11
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
If you don't already have one, invest in an external USB hard drive. You should have one anyway (or a combination of several) that has a little bit more capacity as the hard drive in your new computer to keep back ups on. If you feel that is too expensive a solution, how much do you value what you have on your computer? Do you really want to risk losing it all to a crash, etc.?
Even better, buy a drive enclosure from New Egg or someone (mine's a $69 Rosewill USB/eSATA) and stick the HD from your old computer (mine was a nearly new .5 Tb--Curse you Michael Dell, and your cheap processors) into the enclosure.

Viola, instant backup. I've seen them as cheap as $20, but dude, it's a backup! I can move it from one computer to another backing up as I go. If it ever gets filled, by that time, one of the other machines may be dying and I'll buy another enclosure or a bigger drive for the enclosure.

As an aside, my work computer suffered a hard drive failure a while ago. The disk recovery company just stripped all of the readable data onto a 140 GB ext. USB drive and mailed it to us. I guess it was cheaper than making all those DVD+Rs. My question is, where did they find a USB drive that small?

Regards,
Jack Tingle
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 11:37 AM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Pick Jack's solution.

Hard drives are way faster than Flash.
And you can use it for backup's later.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 05:59 AM   #13
SlowRain
Addict

I used a USB memory stick. I only had about 7GB to transfer over, so it took just a few minutes.
Old 08-19-2010, 06:20 AM   #14
GeoffC

Old 08-19-2010, 02:41 PM   #15
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
If your ebooks are in Calibre, and Calibre points to dropbox, just install dropbox on the new computer, install Calibre on the new computer, and all your books will be there (takes awhile). This is how I did it on my new desktop.

Last edited by Sydney's Mom; 08-19-2010 at 04:44 PM.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote