Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-17-2010, 06:19 PM   #1
Mr.Toad
Mr.Toad can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mr.Toad can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mr.Toad can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mr.Toad can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mr.Toad can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mr.Toad can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mr.Toad can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mr.Toad can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mr.Toad can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mr.Toad can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mr.Toad can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Lots
Travelling with a Kindle DXG

Before setting off on a whirlwind tour of Europe, I bought a Kindle DXG, partly for the new clearer screen (I have a Sony 505) and partly for the free Internet access, which I hoped would work in most of the countries I visited - my home is Canada.

I was pleasantly surprised to find I had access in:
Germany
Denmark
Sweden
Finland
Russia
Poland.

The only country where I couldn't even get a cell connection was Belarus.

So not only did I take a hundreds of books with me (my last trip with paper books cost me more than the Kindle in excess baggage weight), but I could check my email and do some basic web browsing - very nice.

I was somewhat concerned that the reader would be damaged by being tossed around so much: I had it in a leather folder case and then in a Zeroshock 3 case which protected it well.
Mr.Toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 06:29 PM   #2
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Welcome to MR Mr. Toad! Stick around and join our forum!
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2010, 06:32 PM   #3
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
That's interesting, thanks for the info. I'll probably never get there myself, but it's still good to know. And welcome to MR.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 07:20 PM   #4
Baumi
Connoisseur
Baumi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Baumi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Baumi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle DXG, Cybook G3
Wow - that's weird. My DXG's browser doesn't work in Germany. (Which is a bit unfortunate, with me living there and everything... :-/ )

Up to now I thought the 2.5.5 firmware just wouldn't allow for browsing over here, but it seems to be more complex than that. Could it have anything to do with the country your Amazon account is registered to?
Baumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 08:08 PM   #5
dcptcons4evr
Avid Reader
dcptcons4evr began at the beginning.

Device: kindle3
I wonder if there is access in France, as I am going there in a few months and would like to bring my device.
dcptcons4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-18-2010, 08:25 PM   #6
Mr.Toad
Mr.Toad can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mr.Toad can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mr.Toad can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mr.Toad can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mr.Toad can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mr.Toad can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mr.Toad can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mr.Toad can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mr.Toad can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mr.Toad can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mr.Toad can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Lots
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baumi View Post
Wow - that's weird. My DXG's browser doesn't work in Germany. (Which is a bit unfortunate, with me living there and everything... :-/ )

Up to now I thought the 2.5.5 firmware just wouldn't allow for browsing over here, but it seems to be more complex than that. Could it have anything to do with the country your Amazon account is registered to?
Not sure - I'm registered to Canada. If anything, I didn't expect it to work in all the places that it actually did.
Mr.Toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 04:45 AM   #7
FranciscoB
FranciscoB began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite, Hanlin v3
I also have a DXG. In the first 2 or 3 weeks after its release I could browse the internet in France and The Netherlands. Nowadays the only site I can access is the English Wikipedia.

So I *guess* that browsing was restricted to Wikipedia EN in (Western) Europe.
FranciscoB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 06:50 AM   #8
Marc Mertens
Mathematician
Marc Mertens began at the beginning.

Device: IRex Digital Reader
I have the KindleDXG international, I'm currently in Borneo and just bought 2 books with no problems. Reading is great and although I was worried a little bit about taking the kindle in my daypack , it actually works very well.

Marc
Marc Mertens is offline   Reply With Quote