Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Recipes

Notices

Old 04-14-2013, 12:35 PM   #1
belano
belano began at the beginning.

Device: kindle dx
Pocket recipe

Hi,

I've tried to use this recipe for getting articles from my pocket (formerly readitlater) account with no success

https://github.com/tbunnyman/ReadItL...in/tree/api-v3

This recipe manages to fetch the articles okay but they all contain the following text

Quote:
Looks like you're kicking it old school.
The browser version you are using is outdated and does not work with the latest version of Pocket's web app.
Is there any way to trick pocket to believe that am using a newer browser version?

I've tried manually setting the user-agent but it didn't work
Code:
kwargs['user_agent'] = 'Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10_6_4; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.19.4 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.3 Safari/533.19.4'
br = BasicNewsRecipe.get_browser(self)
Thanks
belano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 12:49 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
br = BasicNewsRecipe.get_browser(self, user_agent='whatever')
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2013, 05:07 AM   #3
belano

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
br = BasicNewsRecipe.get_browser(self, user_agent='whatever')
Thanks, that did the trick.

Unfortunately, articles show up empty as the actual content seems to be obscurely fetched using ajax - it seems they don't want us to access them
Old 04-21-2013, 06:03 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You can use a javascript enabled browser to download artiles if you like, see for example the marketing_sensoriale.recipe.

Or you can just simulate AJAX requests with the normal mechanize browser, which is a little harder to implement, but for an example see the builtin metadata download plugin for bigbooksearch.com
Old 04-21-2013, 07:10 AM   #5
belano

Thanks for the tip, will give it a try
Advert
Old 04-21-2013, 09:14 AM   #6
belano

Hi,

I've been digging into the marketing_sensoriale.recipe, inside my custom module

Code:
js_fetcher = '''

import calibre.web.jsbrowser.browser as jsbrowser

def grab(url):
    browser = jsbrowser.Browser()
    #10 second timeout
    browser.visit(url, 10)
    browser.run_for_a_time(10)
    html = browser.html
    browser.close()
    return html

'''
Do you think is possible to perform a login using my credentials, set the auth cookie to the browser and keep grabbing the html?

Thanks
Old 04-21-2013, 10:16 AM   #7
belano

One last question, I haven't done much python so please bear with me.

In order to pass an addicional parameter to my custom module, what's the correct syntax for the fork_job call? I've tried the following but it keeps complaining

Code:
def get_obfuscated_article(self, url):
        br = self.browser
        result = fork_job(js_fetcher, 'grab', args=(url, br), module_is_source_code=True)
        html = result['result']
        if isinstance(html, type(u'')):
            html = html.encode('utf-8')
        pt = PersistentTemporaryFile('.html')
        pt.write(html)
        pt.close()
        return pt.name
Error trace

Code:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/calibre/calibre/utils/threadpool.py", line 95, in run
    (request, request.callable(*request.args, **request.kwds))
  File "/usr/lib/calibre/calibre/web/feeds/news.py", line 1063, in fetch_obfuscated_article
    path = os.path.abspath(self.get_obfuscated_article(url))
  File "<string>", line 197, in get_obfuscated_article
  File "/usr/lib/calibre/calibre/utils/ipc/simple_worker.py", line 160, in fork_job
    abort=abort)
  File "/usr/lib/calibre/calibre/utils/ipc/simple_worker.py", line 79, in communicate
    raise WorkerError('Failed to communicate with worker process')
WorkerError: Failed to communicate with worker process
Thanks
Old 04-21-2013, 02:31 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

You cannot pass the browser via fork_job, only simple data structures like lists/tuples/dictionaries/strings.

Tags
pocket