Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 01-05-2012, 12:43 PM   #1
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
WiFi Analyzer App

Have this app installed on my Fire. It tells me channel 14 is a stronger/better channel. Only problem is my Router only lists up to channel 11. Anyone have any insight?

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 02:49 PM   #2
deannah
Connoisseur
deannah began at the beginning.

Device: KK, KT, KFire, KFire HD, KPaperwhite
I have the same on mine and understand that channels above 11 are illegal in the US and that only certain routers support those channels. Someone more knowledgeable will chime in I'm sure.
deannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2012, 03:46 PM   #3
hn333
Addict
hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadievan View Post
Have this app installed on my Fire. It tells me channel 14 is a stronger/better channel. Only problem is my Router only lists up to channel 11. Anyone have any insight?

Carol
The only way to get access to channel 14 is to use a third party firmware on your router. That is if your router can run on third party firmware. Channel 14 is use only by Japan, channel 13 is use by Europe. If you use it and someone reports you to the FCC, you will be fined.

Anyway even if you use it you may have problems with your devices connecting to that channel. I have access to channel 14 on my router but I've never used it. You should be find using on the main three channel 1,6, and 11. Use the channel thats the strongest.
hn333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 04:08 PM   #4
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deannah View Post
I have the same on mine and understand that channels above 11 are illegal in the US and that only certain routers support those channels. Someone more knowledgeable will chime in I'm sure.
Thanks. I wasn't aware of that about channels above 11.

Carol
Old 01-05-2012, 04:10 PM   #5
sadievan
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by hn333 View Post
The only way to get access to channel 14 is to use a third party firmware on your router. That is if your router can run on third party firmware. Channel 14 is use only by Japan, channel 13 is use by Europe. If you use it and someone reports you to the FCC, you will be fined.

Anyway even if you use it you may have problems with your devices connecting to that channel. I have access to channel 14 on my router but I've never used it. You should be find using on the main three channel 1,6, and 11. Use the channel thats the strongest.
Thanks hn333. I'm fine with channel 11. I just thought that since WiFi Analyzer said 14 was better I would try it. I wasn't aware the higher channels were illegal. Channel 11 is the strongest of 1, 6 and 11. So I'll just keep that.

Carol
Advert
Old 01-05-2012, 04:11 PM   #6
deannah
Connoisseur
deannah began at the beginning.

Device: KK, KT, KFire, KFire HD, KPaperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadievan View Post
Thanks. I wasn't aware of that about channels above 11.

Carol
You're welcome, Carol. I would also mention that I also have the Wi-Fi Analyzer Tool installed and like it as well. It gives you a bit more info than the regular Analyzer. Think I got it at the Amazon store. It was free.
deannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 04:20 PM   #7
sadievan
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by deannah View Post
You're welcome, Carol. I would also mention that I also have the Wi-Fi Analyzer Tool installed and like it as well. It gives you a bit more info than the regular Analyzer. Think I got it at the Amazon store. It was free.
Same here. I like that it tells you what your neighbors channels are so you can avoid them. I got mine from Amazon as well.

Carol
Old 01-06-2012, 07:46 PM   #8
salsaguy
Addict
salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Fire (1st Gen), Kindle Touch, KFHD 8.9 No Ads
You can go into the settings and ignore channels 12-14 since they don't work in the USA
salsaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 08:43 PM   #9
sadievan
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by salsaguy View Post
You can go into the settings and ignore channels 12-14 since they don't work in the USA
Thanks for that tip.

Carol