Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-12-2014, 10:35 PM   #1
bethany7
Enthusiast
bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
A few questions before moving to Kobo

Hi,

I'm considering jumping to Kobo after a happy few years with my original Kindle PW, mainly due to price considerations and availability here in the UK. As much as I like the Kindle ecosystem (send-to-kindle is ridiculously useful, and the easy access to current deals and prime benefits are useful), spending an extra £30, as well as waiting until mid-December is making me lean towards the Kobo H2O. That, and I want a new toy

I've been watching a few videos on the H2O, and one thing I've noticed is that when the reviewer is reading a kepub, there are huge gaps between the paragraphs. Is this modifiable on the device, or would it require calibre tinkering, therefore destroying the advantage of being able to buy directly from the Kobo store? I know it seems a weird thing to be bugged by, but there we are!

Also, if I convert a standard ePub to kepub in calibre, will I then get access to ALL kepub features, specifically the reading stats thing, with the time left in chapter etc? I find this a surprisingly useful feature on the Kindle, so would hate to lose it for all side loaded books, as I have built up quite a collection over the years!

Finally, is the software generally more stable than the last time I had a Kobo, which was when the Glo was first released? I had so many bugs with that device that I returned it in the end, and I don't want to go through that again. Kindle may not be as customisable as the Kobo, but they definitely have stability going for them. I don't require it to be AS stable as the Kindle firmware, but being able to connect to wifi is kind of vital for me (the straw that broke the camel's back last time)!

Thanks so much.
bethany7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 10:53 PM   #2
xtine
Addict
xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
I just got my H2O yesterday (also coming from a PW1) so I can't really answer all of your questions except about reading stats, because I posted a question about that too yesterday Unfortunately reading stats are only available on purchased books. There's a separate "app" called Reading Stats under Extras though, which gives you time to read options but you have to exit your book first to be able to access that.

Right now I'm reading a kepub converted ebook and while there are spaces between paragraphs, they're not really so huge as to bother me. Attaching pictures of the screen in book mode as well as the separate Reading Stats screen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo 11-13-14, 11 54 38 AM.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	437.6 KB
ID:	131015   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo 11-13-14, 11 54 51 AM.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	283.2 KB
ID:	131016  

Last edited by xtine; 11-12-2014 at 11:07 PM.
xtine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 11:22 PM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
I believe it was theoretically possible to enable the time left to read, but @davidfor ended up not offering it because it was just too unpredictable or prone to breakage.

From what I remember hearing (I have never owned one), it is only available for store-loaded KEPUBs, and tricking the database into thinking that may just have been too much of a pain in the neck.

Last edited by eschwartz; 11-12-2014 at 11:34 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 11:27 PM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
The issue with enabling stats for side loaded kEpubs was that they HAD to be stored in the .Kobo directory structure, and that on either a WiFi or Desktop sync, books that were not from Kobo would be deleted.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 11:28 PM   #5
bethany7
Enthusiast
bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Thanks for your replies. You're right xtine, in your picture the paragraph spacing is a lot less offensive to my eyes! Eschwartz that's a shame it's not available anymore, but I guess there are always limits to what can be done. Rather lose stats than lose books each sync! Thanks.
Old 11-12-2014, 11:34 PM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
@PeterT, thanks for the explanation, I learn something every day! (Whether I want to or not. )

Sure is a shame... but my Kindle is happy.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 01:29 AM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
I believe it was theoretically possible to enable the time left to read, but @davidfor ended up not offering it because it was just too unpredictable or prone to breakage.
it wasn't me. That's not my driver. But, I did experiment and my advice was to run away from it as quickly as possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethany7 View Post
Thanks for your replies. You're right xtine, in your picture the paragraph spacing is a lot less offensive to my eyes!
That spacing is dependent on the book. The CSS specifies the margins between the paragraphs. For some reason, all the reviews are done with badly laid out books that leave this as the default. The book xtine is reading has it set to a small value. Personally, I set the top and bottom margin for "normal" paragraphs to zero.
Quote:
Eschwartz that's a shame it's not available anymore, but I guess there are always limits to what can be done. Rather lose stats than lose books each sync! Thanks.
As of FW3.11.0, the firmware has two sets of options for the page number display. One is whether the display is for the full book, or the current chapter. The latter only works for kepubs. What is displayed can be the page number (Page x of y), the percent left or the time remaining. The latter is also only for kepubs.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 06:48 AM   #8
bethany7
Enthusiast

Thanks for the info davidfor. So is it just pot luck, if you buy from the kobo store, how the margin spacing is defined? Without running it through calibre, I mean. Or is there a standard spacing they tend to lean towards? Like you, I'd much rather have the spacing zero or as good as, than some of the gaping holes I've seen on YouTube!

So if am reading a side loaded ePub, I can display neither chapter or book time, percentage or page? But if I convert to a kepub with calibre, do I gain at least page numbers back?

Cheers.
Old 11-13-2014, 07:06 AM   #9
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethany7 View Post
Thanks for the info davidfor. So is it just pot luck, if you buy from the kobo store, how the margin spacing is defined? Without running it through calibre, I mean. Or is there a standard spacing they tend to lean towards? Like you, I'd much rather have the spacing zero or as good as, than some of the gaping holes I've seen on YouTube!
If you sync the book directly from Kobo then you have to take the book content as it is, warts and all. Some have gaps between paragraphs, some don't, it is up to the publisher.

You can change the metadata (including cover image) for synced books though.

If you sideload the book (either as kepub or epub) then you can edit it and set the paragraph spacing and other things however you want.

Quote:
So if am reading a side loaded ePub, I can display neither chapter or book time, percentage or page? But if I convert to a kepub with calibre, do I gain at least page numbers back?
For sideloaded epubs you can choose book page number or percentage. For sideloaded kepubs you can also choose chapter page number or chapter percentage. (Edit: For synced kepubs you can also choose book time remaining or chapter time remaining, but I don't know if these options are available for sideloaded kepubs.)

Last edited by GeoffR; 11-13-2014 at 07:30 AM. Reason: Not sure if time remaining works on sideloaded kepubs
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 09:36 AM   #10
tempest@de
Fanatic
tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, kindle
When I started buying books at kobo I tried to download the book to the device, but after several disappointments with the book formatting, namely the huge space between paragraphs, that drives me crazy, I opted to create a kepub in caliber.
In the last contest I bought a dozen books and since I was going to travel and was in a hurry to put the books in the glo I opted to download them directly to the glo expecting that I would end up having to convert them later on with caliber, but to my surprise they were all well formatted, so I kept them and was able to use the stats.
You could always try the original kepub and if you don’t like it convert it with caliber, is not ideal but maybe you get lucky and the books you buy are to your liking in the format department.
tempest@de is offline   Reply With Quote