Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-28-2013, 12:56 AM   #1
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
New database backend - testers needed

Hi all,

After a year and a half of development, the new calibre database backend is finally ready for testing.

The major goals of this new backend are:
  1. Improve performance
  2. Be thread safe (thereby eventually enabling multi-user calibre)
  3. Maintain compatibility of database format with the previous backend. This means that you can freely switch between the old and new backends.
  4. Also, there is a new cover grid based on the new backend, see attached screenshot. You can turn it on by clicking the button in the bottom right corner of the calibre main window that has an icon of a grid on it.

In order to test the new backend, do the following steps:

WARNING: Only do the following if you have backed up your calibre libraries and are willing to encounter and help debug bugs.
  • Update to calibre 0.9.44
  • Go to Preferences->Tweaks and click the button "Plugin Tweaks" in the bottom left corner
  • In the text box, type the following
    Code:
    use_new_db = True
  • Click Apply
  • Restart calibre

You should now see [newdb] in the status bar at the bottom of the main calibre window. This indicates you are successfully running with the new db backend.

You can switch back to the old backend at any time by simply changing that tweak to False and restarting calibre.

The database backend in calibre is an extremely complex bit of code, so while there is an extensive test suite for the new backend and I have been running it myself for a couple of weeks, there will be bugs. So please backup your calibre libraries before embarking on this adventure

Some details on the performance improvements:
  • The startup time for calibre with my 22,000 book test library has gone down from 11.5 to 6.4 seconds which is almost twice as fast.
  • The time taken to refresh the Tag Browser after an edit is also greatly reduced.
  • Searches are cached, so if you do a search (or use a virtual library) you should notice a speedup when re-doing the same search or re-applying the same virtual library
  • The code path for evaluating composite columns (based on templates) has been greatly optimized

A note for plugin developers: I have tried hard to maintain API compatibility between the old and new backends, so hopefully most plugins should continue to work, without modification. However, given the complexity of the code involved there may well be regressions, if so I will be happy to help with fixing them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	snapshot3.jpg
Views:	693
Size:	269.0 KB
ID:	108938  

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 08-17-2013 at 07:29 AM.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 01:24 AM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Just trying. Connected my Kobo with the new database and received this error:
Spoiler:

calibre, version 0.9.41
ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>AttributeError</b>:'View' object has no attribute 'has_id'

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre_plugins.reading_list.action", line 943, in _on_device_metadata_available
File "calibre_plugins.reading_list.action", line 1058, in sync_now
File "calibre_plugins.reading_list.action", line 1238, in _rebuild_auto_device_list
File "calibre_plugins.reading_list.config", line 219, in get_book_list
AttributeError: 'View' object has no attribute 'has_id'
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2013, 01:28 AM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Some functions seem a lot slower; for instance DavidFor's Kobo Utilities / store location is crawling as it updates the database. I will do more benchmarking tomorrow but it is glacially slow compared to what it was.

* Updating 170 books with readling locations, the storing of data took close to 5 minutes.

* Reverting to old DB engine; storing of data was less than 30 seconds

Last edited by PeterT; 07-28-2013 at 01:36 AM.
Old 07-28-2013, 01:48 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The plugin should be changed to use db.has_id() rather than db.data.has_id() (the API of the db object is almost fully ported, db.data, not so much) I have added has_id() to the new backend db.data API, so that issue should go away with the next build.

As for the speed issues, it's hard for me to comment as I dont have akobo to test with. If you stick some print statements intot he driver to measure execution speed to find out what is slower i can help with suggesting ways to make it faster.

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 07-28-2013 at 02:28 AM.
Old 07-28-2013, 02:21 AM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
will do what I can

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2013, 02:37 AM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Some functions seem a lot slower; for instance DavidFor's Kobo Utilities / store location is crawling as it updates the database. I will do more benchmarking tomorrow but it is glacially slow compared to what it was.

* Updating 170 books with readling locations, the storing of data took close to 5 minutes.

* Reverting to old DB engine; storing of data was less than 30 seconds
Were you running it in the foreground or background version? The two ways use different ways to update the library.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 06:55 AM   #7
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Were you running it in the foreground or background version? The two ways use different ways to update the library.
Background methid
Old 07-28-2013, 07:53 AM   #8
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
If you are using the new DB then you also have access to a new template function that returns a list of virtual libraries that a book is in. The function is virtual_libraries(). A (template program mode) template that uses it is
Code:
{0:'virtual_libraries()'}
The performance of this function should be adequate if you don't have "lots" of virtual libraries. One question: is this true? Second question: how many is "lots"? I think that "lots" is more than 10 or so, and is certainly more than 50.

Note that if you sort on this column then calibre must compute the values for every book in the db, which might be slow for large libraries, although with the composite column evaluation optimizations in the new DB this effect might be not as noticeable. If you don't sort on it then the values are computed when displayed.

This function is not available in the old DB.

Last edited by chaley; 07-28-2013 at 08:23 AM. Reason: typo
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 08:05 AM   #9
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Startup time old DB: 1:30
Startup time new DB: 36 seconds(!)

For me it's almost 3 times faster...
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 08:36 AM   #10
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Bad news: the Kobo Touch Extended driver doesn't seem to like the new DB.When I connect my Aura, Calibre detects it, but never completes the scanning job and I have to kill it using Task Manager. Switching back to the old DB and all is well.

Same with the Kindle driver; connecting my DX gets it recognized, but the device job never ends and killing it with Task Manager is all that I can do.

This is on WinXP Pro 32-bit.

Last edited by mbovenka; 07-28-2013 at 10:27 AM.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:23 AM   #11
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person
jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Oasis
Can you open calibre in debug mode, try this again, and open a bug report at https://bugs.launchpad.net/calibre-kobo-driver with all the details?

I will also try the new backend myself

EDIT: I tried the new backend with my Glo and calibre went from detecting to scanning to done in 3 seconds flat. Now, I'm running 64-bit calibre from a RPM package I built myself from source, but that shouldn't make this much of a difference. Perhaps this is yet another Aura-specific bug... looking forward to getting that debug log from you

Last edited by jgoguen; 07-28-2013 at 10:40 AM.
jgoguen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 10:33 AM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

My Kindle PW works with the new db, can you post the debug log (start calibre in debug mode by right clicking the preferences button).
Old 07-28-2013, 11:08 AM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Also, how many books do you have on your device, it may be that some code path used by the device drivers is slower in the new backend and I never noticed as I dont tend to put a lot of books on my devices.
Old 07-28-2013, 11:34 AM   #14
mbovenka
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Also, how many books do you have on your device, it may be that some code path used by the device drivers is slower in the new backend and I never noticed as I dont tend to put a lot of books on my devices.
This is the debug log from startup -> connect Aura (with 67 books on it):

Spoiler:
calibre Debug log
calibre 0.9.41 Portable isfrozen: True is64bit: False
Windows-XP-5.1.2600-SP3 Windows ('32bit', 'WindowsPE')
('Windows', 'XP', '5.1.2600')
Python 2.7.4
Windows: ('XP', '5.1.2600', 'SP3', 'Multiprocessor Free')
Starting up...
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\user_defined\driver.py", line 105, in do_delayed_plugin_initialization
ValueError: invalid literal for int() with base 16: ''
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\ui.py", line 377, in initialize
File "calibre_plugins.find_duplicates.action", line 50, in initialization_complete
File "calibre_plugins.find_duplicates.duplicates", line 66, in __init__
File "calibre_plugins.find_duplicates.config", line 110, in get_exemption_lists
AttributeError: 'View' object has no attribute 'has_id'
DEBUG: 0.0 No Kobo Touch, Glo or Mini appears to be connected
Started up in 47.39 seconds with 73246 books
Job: 1 Get device information started
DeviceJob: 1 Get device information done, calling callback
DeviceJob: 1 Get device information callback returned
Job: 2 Get list of books on device started
DEBUG: 0.0 KoboTouch:books - oncard='None'
DEBUG: 0.0 KoboTouch:books - oncard='None', prefix='G:\'
DEBUG: 0.0 Kobo device: Kobo Aura HD
DEBUG: 0.0 Version of driver: (1, 5, 0) Has kepubs: True
DEBUG: 0.0 Version of firmware: (2, 8, 1) Has kepubs: True
DEBUG: 0.0 KoboTouch:books - opts.extra_customization= [u'', False, False, True, False, False, True, False, False, True, True, u'', True, False, False, True, False, False, False, True, u'', False, False]
DEBUG: 0.0 KoboTouch:books - prefs['manage_device_metadata']= on_connect
DEBUG: 0.0 KoboTouch:books - set_debugging_title to ''
DEBUG: 0.0 KoboTouch:books - length bl=0
Job: 1 Get device information finished
No details available.
DEBUG: 0.4 KoboTouch:books - length bl after sync=75
DEBUG: 0.4 KoboTouch:books - reading device database
DEBUG: 0.5 Database Version=79
DEBUG: 0.5 KoboTouch:books - shelf list: [u'READ']
DEBUG: 0.5 KoboTouch:books - query= SELECT Title, Attribution, DateCreated, ContentID, MimeType, ContentType, ImageID, ReadStatus, ___ExpirationStatus, FavouritesIndex, Accessibility, IsDownloaded, Series, SeriesNumber, ___UserID, ExternalId FROM content where BookID is Null and ((Accessibility = -1 and IsDownloaded in ('true', 1 )) or (Accessibility in (1,2) ) ) and not ((___ExpirationStatus=3 or ___ExpirationStatus is Null) and ContentType = 6) AND (externalId IS NULL OR externalId = '') AND contentId NOT LIKE 'file:///mnt/sd/%'
DEBUG: 0.5 KoboTouch:books - looping on database - row=9
DEBUG: 0.5 KoboTouch:books - title='' authors= Kobo Inc.
DEBUG: 0.5 KoboTouch:books - row= (u'', u'Kobo Inc.', None, u'file:///usr/local/Kobo/help/10UserGuide-Legal.kepub.epub', u'application/x-kobo-epub+zip', u'6', None, 0, 0, -1, 1, 1, None, None, u'', None)
DEBUG: 0.6 KoboTouch:books - looping on database - row=10
DEBUG: 0.6 KoboTouch:books - title='' authors= Kobo Inc.
DEBUG: 0.6 KoboTouch:books - row= (u'', u'Kobo Inc.', None, u'file:///usr/local/Kobo/help/09UserGuide-Contacting_FNAC.kepub.epub', u'application/x-kobo-epub+zip', u'6', None, 0, 0, -1, 1, 1, None, None, u'', None)
DEBUG: 3.4 KoboTouch:books - automatically managing metadata
DEBUG: 3.4 KoboTouch:books - about to sync_booklists
DEBUG: 3.4 USBMS: starting sync_booklists
DEBUG: 3.9 USBMS: finished sync_booklists
DEBUG: 3.9 KoboTouch:books - have done sync_booklists
DEBUG: 3.9 KoboTouch:books - end - oncard='None'
DEBUG: 3.9 KoboTouchExtended - Dropping DismissNewBookTiles database trigger
DEBUG: 3.9 KoboTouchExtended - Dropping BlockAnalyticsEvents database trigger
DEBUG: 3.9 KoboTouch:books - oncard='carda'
DEBUG: 3.9 KoboTouch:books - Asked to process 'carda', but do not have one!
DEBUG: 3.9 KoboTouch:books - oncard='cardb'
DEBUG: 3.9 KoboTouch:books - Asked to process 'cardb', but do not have one!
DeviceJob: 2 Get list of books on device done, calling callback

I left it for 15 minutes or so on an earlier try, so it's not just slow. Calibre eats one full core of CPU at that point (50% CPU on my Core2Duo.
Old 07-28-2013, 12:31 PM   #15
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person
jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Oasis
Can you unplug your device, disable the KoboTouchExtended driver, enable the main KoboTouch driver, restart calibre, and see if this still happens?
jgoguen is offline   Reply With Quote