Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-02-2013, 07:35 PM   #1
pdxreads
Enthusiast
pdxreads doesn't litterpdxreads doesn't litterpdxreads doesn't litter

Device: Nook ST, Color Nook, iPad 2 & 4, Kobo Mini
Question ADE epub problem: missing text size icon

Greetings, esteemed developers!
I've recently purchased a Kobo Mini-- already have a couple of Nooks & an iPad. I'm not much of a coder, but thought I'd bring my problem here. Haven't seen this issue addressed elsewhere.

I just downloaded a couple of library epub titles via Adobe Digital Editions. They don't display the icon for changing text size. Kobo support recommended a reset-- didn't help.

Checked and upgraded to latest ADE, but the problem remains for 2 of 3 library epubs. The books are unreadable as is, and the zoom function is too clunky to be a workable alternative.

Thanks for any insights. [This forum really helped me out when I first tried rooting a color Nook a while back-- hope someone can help!]
pdxreads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:56 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Are you sure these are epubs and not PDF? Epubs don't have a zoom option, but PDFs do.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 02:11 PM   #3
pdxreads
Enthusiast

Yes, they're epubs. On the Mini toolbar at the bottom of the page, for these impaired public library downloads, where the font icon ordinarily appears, there's a directional arrow icon that seems to offer options for zooming or otherwise altering the page dimensions.

Thanks for your reply.
Old 03-03-2013, 03:12 PM   #4
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxreads View Post
Yes, they're epubs. On the Mini toolbar at the bottom of the page, for these impaired public library downloads, where the font icon ordinarily appears, there's a directional arrow icon that seems to offer options for zooming or otherwise altering the page dimensions.
you mean the horizontal bidirectional arrows (I mean the icon that you see at the top of page 22 in the instruction manual)? If so, those are not for zooming, but for moving around in the book.
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 03:34 PM   #5
pdxreads
Enthusiast

Thanks, paola. this is a diamond shaped icon (arrows pointing 4 directions) that appears where the double-A text sizing icon normally appears.
Old 03-03-2013, 04:29 PM   #6
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxreads View Post
Thanks, paola. this is a diamond shaped icon (arrows pointing 4 directions) that appears where the double-A text sizing icon normally appears.
ah, so none of the icons shown here, then?
So could it be that the system is wrongly recognising your book as pdf? Could it be that there is something wrong in the database?
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 05:41 PM   #7
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
If you look at the library view what format does it show next to the book?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:59 PM   #8
pdxreads
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
ah, so none of the icons shown here, then?
So could it be that the system is wrongly recognising your book as pdf? Could it be that there is something wrong in the database?
Right, none of those icons.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:02 PM   #9
pdxreads
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
If you look at the library view what format does it show next to the book?
Ah, thanks for that diagnostic tip, PeterT.

==> The two titles that aren't displaying the font-change icon are indeed being read as PDFs-- even though downloaded ostensibly as epubs.

I suppose I'll check w my library consortium about this. This has never occurred w my Nook ST, so seems to be some kind of Kobo incompatibility, eh?

Thanks much for the help, everyone.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:55 PM   #10
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
As the books were downloaded via ADE on the PC, there should be a file for each book in the directory stores the books Check what extension the files have. On Windows, the directory is "My Digital Editions" in your documents directory. I assume a Mac has the same, but I don't know where it is.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:58 PM   #11
pdxreads
Enthusiast

Follow up: I deleted the pesky titles, and re-did the epub uploads from the library site.
Eureka-- they're working normally on the Kobo Mini.

So how did I end up with PDFs instead of epubs? I'm not ruling out earlier user error... :-p
Anyway, I appreciate the patient help. Thanks again!
Old 03-05-2013, 12:03 AM   #12
pdxreads
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
As the books were downloaded via ADE on the PC, there should be a file for each book in the directory stores the books Check what extension the files have. On Windows, the directory is "My Digital Editions" in your documents directory. I assume a Mac has the same, but I don't know where it is.
Thanks, davidfor. I just checked that out in my windows directory. Helpful for future reference. The display info in the Kobo Mini's library directory that PeterT mentioned also let me check the title formats.

I'm finishing the evening smarter than I was this morning Much appreciated.