Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: How many hours do you spend reading on an average day?
Less than an hour 11 5.82%
1 hour 38 20.11%
2 hours 63 33.33%
3 hours 41 21.69%
4 hours 15 7.94%
5 or more hours 21 11.11%
Voters: 189. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-12-2012, 11:21 PM   #31
Tattncat
Bookworm
Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet, Samsung Galaxy Tab3, Sony PRS700, Sony PRS505
I answered 5+ hours. That is joy of being retired, I can read off and on all day as well as the middle of the night insomniac hour or two.
Tattncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:31 PM   #32
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
+/- 2 Hrs a day, slightly more on weekdays, very little on weekends. About an hour each way on the train to/from work, plus some time at lunch. Weekends are busy with kids, so I don't have time (or as much inclination).
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:05 AM   #33
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
I answered 2 hours on average, but the amount of time I read for pleasure varies greatly. There are days I don't read any books; other times I read for many hours. It depends on how busy I am with other things.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:40 AM   #34
Quake1028
Guru
Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: See signature
On an average day, between 1 and 2 hours. With work, video games, TV, movies, spending time with my wife, playing with the cats, chores, etc....there just aren't enough hours in a day. On a great, lazy, nothing to do day? 5+ hours, easily.
Quake1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:39 AM   #35
stop__dreaming
Addict
stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
A couple of hours for me. Some time on the commute to work, my lunch hour and before I go to sleep.

At weekends, probably a little bit more, if not the same.
stop__dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:27 AM   #36
pagansoul
Fanatic
pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone5, iPad Gen3, Kobo, Kindle Fire, Kobo Vox. Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
I do about 4 hours at work (I sit at a PC all day. I have my iPad next to monitor and read while my programs are running. Mornings, I get in early and lunch are spent on my iPad) and another hour at home. So about 5 hours a day. On the week ends only about 2 hours, less if the day and night are nice but more on bad/cold days I do more reading.

Last edited by pagansoul; 11-14-2012 at 07:32 AM.
pagansoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:01 AM   #37
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
For me it varies; leisure reading can go from zero to 14 hours depending on the day of the week, the season, and whether there is a Bethesda RPG recently out.
(Or if I get dragged out to go--shudder--shopping.)

If I include web-surfing and reading emails then the range runs from 2 to 18 hours. It helps that I rarely need more than 6 hours sleep and I'm not a foodie.

Last edited by fjtorres; 11-13-2012 at 09:03 AM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:12 AM   #38
usuallee
Media Junkie
usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
I think you will see a lot a variation depending on whether someone is a student, a parent with young kids, working, retired. It also varies by the time of year. I read very little in the summer, preferring audiobooks and even movies.
This brings up some interesting points. I have a young daughter, a wife, and a fulltime job, so my poll response of 2 hrs a day might be a bit of wishful thinking on most days. But I wouldn't have it any other way :-)

I read about the same throughout the year. TV is the biggest summertime casualty for me in terms of outdoor activites.
usuallee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:59 AM   #39
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
It actually depends on my job respectively my projects.
When traveling within Germany, I usually take the train.
On the train, I'm only doing 3 things: Eating, sleeping and reading.
More or less the same in hotels: Eating, sleeping and reading.
So, when at home, I'll read 2 to 3 hours per days.
When traveling, it can be 5 hours and sometimes even more.
That's why I love my tablets: With a tablet as your travel companion, you cover it all: Reading, watching moves, surfing the web, writing emails.
If I include reading and writing emails in the equations, this easily adds another 3 or more hours per day.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:49 AM   #40
CarolineNH
Expert napper
CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad Pro, Kindle Fire 10
This is tough to answer; it might be 2 hours. Might be more if I go to the gym and read while I'm on exercise equipment, rather than walking or biking outside (much harder to read then!). Sometimes I read more than one book in a day, and rarely read in large continuous blocks of time, so the 2 hours is only a guess. It's probably more like 1 to 3 hours, and 2 would be my average.
CarolineNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:44 PM   #41
Laridae
Addict
Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Blackberry PlayBook, Nexus 4, ChromeBook
I read for about 2 hours on average per day; more if you count blogging or looking up stuff on the web.
I read the paper after breakfast every day and then books for about an hour after lunch and supper.
Could be several hours more in the evening if I'm into a good book.
Once a week I read a news magazine (Time) for a couple of hours.
If I happen to be taking a course then those readings would cut into my time for other reading.
Laridae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:10 PM   #42
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
I'm another one who mostly reads in bed before I go to sleep... so that's less than an hour a day. At the weekends and when I'm off work it probably goes up to 1-2 hours. I'll only read more than that if I'm in the middle of a really great book.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:09 PM   #43
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeckoFriend View Post
I'm retired and read 10-12 hours per day, sometimes more.
You are my idol! If I go to bed the same time as my husband (9:45), I read until about 1 am. If it is a weekend, I get a little more reading in, because if it is a really good book, I might read it during the day as well. I used to get more reading done while waiting for my daughter, but with the advent of Angry Birds and Frontline Commando, I do other things while I am sitting in the car waiting for LaX practice to end.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:50 PM   #44
dandelioncottage
Abibliophobe
dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 2 64 gb, Nook Glowlight, iPad 4 (128 gb)
I used to read in the morning while having my coffee, but now I check the MR Freebies/Deals section instead!

Other than that I read at lunchtime and in the evening, unless there's something really great on my DVR. So I would say about 3 hours on an average day, more if I really get caught up in a book or find myself with more free time on a given day.
dandelioncottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:26 PM   #45
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
I said 4, though it is more on weekends and can be less on work days. Being an outdoorsy dog person, it also depends on the weather. I hate that I love rainy weekends. Don't tell my dog!!
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote