Chrono is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony
New Sony Readers

Last edited by Chrono; 06-18-2012 at 09:18 PM. Reason: deleted for now
Chrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 02:03 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The new Sony won't have backlight as eink doesn't allow for backlighting. So no, the Kindle won't have backlighting as well. But as for the glow light, given what I've read on how easily it can scratch, would you really want it scratched? I like the light cover that Sony sells. Works very well (IMHO). One other issue you get with the glowlight is that it uses power from the nook. Thus, the more you read in low light or no light, the less time you have to read before you need to charge. Sony has a light on the 700 and when in use, the battery life wasn't wonderful.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 02:17 PM   #3
Chrono

Some form of lighting, like the front lighting in the nook would be nice. As far as the battery issue....don't use the light. I'd rather have it and be able to use it when needed. When I used the nook glow I thought the light was very nice and useful. Regular lights result in glare off the screen. It does appear that the new kindles will have lighting:

http://techcrunch.com/2012/04/06/nex...nt-lit-screen/

I have no interest in Kindles as they don't support epub and am not interested in converting files.

I did read about that scratching issue on the nook..so that put me off from buying one plus the sonys are just packed with far more features...and look cooler

If I could find a prs-t1 for $39 clearance price I'd just get it and not bother with whatever is coming out.

Last edited by Chrono; 06-15-2012 at 02:27 PM.
Old 06-15-2012, 03:07 PM   #4
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Forgive my bluntness but you actually expect us to believe that you sweet talked someone at Sony and got details that aren't really details anyways? Sorry but I don't.

Historically they've had sneek peeks or leaked details of the new product August/September with the device out end of September/October. You've shared nothing new.

It's not this, it's not that and no major difference. That could be said about pretty much anything. Meh.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 03:41 PM   #5
ersott
Evangelist
ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite2, Ipad Air, Kobo Aura H2o
If there's no differences with t1.

Why they call new model?
ersott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 05:56 PM   #6
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ersott View Post
If there's no differences with t1.

Why they call new model?
Excuse to sell at a higher price for a bit ?

I would be very surprised if a significantly different reader will ever appear from Sony now.

I'm afraid I think they lost their chance, mainly due to failure to capture the wifi & 3g sector quickly enough, poor software, insufficient pre-release testing, failure to react quickly enough to problems, woeful main Sony support, and .... too expensive.

And I speak as a Sony fan, and I get no pleasure from expressing this opinion, but if any "new" model is just a re-hash, and - to astonishment from the "suits", I'm sure - bombs, I reckon that'll be that.

Great hardware, silly "junkware".
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 06:01 PM   #7
Chrono

@shopaholic - Take a chill pill. Yes, I spoke to someone who is privy to this info and what I wrote is what she told me. If you don't think obtaining information in this manner is possible, then you haven't been on the internet very long or aren't very persuasive, so If you don't believe me I could care less. Good looks help achieve many things

Last edited by Chrono; 06-15-2012 at 06:53 PM.
Old 06-15-2012, 06:02 PM   #8
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
It's not this, it's not that and no major difference. That could be said about pretty much anything. Meh.
The OP said there will be no light. That's interesting, so you're wrong
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 07:07 PM   #9
ersott
Evangelist
ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite2, Ipad Air, Kobo Aura H2o
I´m interesting in the next features:

- Better contrast.
- Better battery
- Better resolution screen

If the new model don´t incorpore it, they don´t take my money ;-)
ersott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 08:44 PM   #10
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
It doesn't seem likely we'll see enough innovation in the new models to feel the need to replace a T1 or even a x50. Amazon have added on backlight. It's not a big deal. Wait the model after next to see color, and even then I don't know if I'd bite. Maybe.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:05 PM   #11
AndrewH
Fanatic
AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, & Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
...eink doesn't allow for backlighting.
Huh, that's good to know.

I really love my T1, a new model would have to be significantly better for me to upgrade (and I'd probably still not be convinced unless they had another trade-in program).
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:35 PM   #12
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrono View Post
@shopaholic - Take a chill pill. Yes, I spoke to someone who is privy to this info and what I wrote is what she told me. If you don't think obtaining information in this manner is possible, then you haven't been on the internet very long or aren't very persuasive, so If you don't believe me I could care less. Good looks help achieve many things
Of course, having 'been on the internet very long' will teach you that all info in the internet is, indeed, truthful and accurate. He must be an interwebsnoob
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 11:03 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Today I did see the nook with Glowlight and to be honest, I was not impressed. I still prefer the light I get from the light cover for my 650. Plus, the light from my 650 does not eat into the devices battery. That is a big plus especially if you don't have all that much power left and no place to charge the reader.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 11:07 PM   #14
Chrono

Quote:
Originally Posted by vxf View Post
Of course, having 'been on the internet very long' will teach you that all info in the internet is, indeed, truthful and accurate. He must be an interwebsnoob

Not quite. I was referring to stories you hear online in which certain employees don't care about giving certain info and will tell if asked. Not all employees follow the rules, shocking I know...

Last edited by Chrono; 06-15-2012 at 11:52 PM.
Old 06-16-2012, 08:06 AM   #15
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrono View Post
@shopaholic - ................Good looks help achieve many things
Yes, I must say I've always found that myself ....................
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote