Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-02-2014, 01:06 AM   #301
Darth_Bane
Dark Lord of the Sith
Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.

Device: Sony PRS-505 and PRS-300, Kobo Wifi, Touch and Mini, Kindle 4NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergeyvl12 View Post
Now you can launch any app and exit from the launcher.

script example:
Code:
#!/bin/sh

echo "exit" > $VLASOVSOFT_FIFO # exit from launcher

# launch your app here

Quote:
Originally Posted by michald View Post
It is working well for me, nice!
I tried launching cr3 with the recipe above and it doesn't seem to work on my Touch. I tried both
Code:
#!/bin/sh
echo "exit" > $VLASOVSOFT_FIFO
cr3/cr3 -stylesheet $STYLESHEET
and
Code:
#!/bin/sh
exec cr3/cr3 -stylesheet $STYLESHEET
in cr3.sh and Coolreader never launches; after clicking the launcher icon, it just goes back to the Kobo home screen. Am I missing something? Thanks in advance.
Darth_Bane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 04:09 PM   #302
sergeyvl12
ebook fan
sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 301+, Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Onyx Boox A62, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Bane View Post
I tried launching cr3 with the recipe above and it doesn't seem to work on my Touch. I tried both
Code:
#!/bin/sh
and
Code:
#!/bin/sh
exec cr3/cr3 -stylesheet $STYLESHEET
in cr3.sh and Coolreader never launches; after clicking the launcher icon, it just goes back to the Kobo home screen. Am I missing something? Thanks in advance.
try this:

#!/bin/sh

cr needs launcher. launcher chould exit at cr finish.
sergeyvl12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2014, 01:09 PM   #303
Darth_Bane
Dark Lord of the Sith
Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.

Device: Sony PRS-505 and PRS-300, Kobo Wifi, Touch and Mini, Kindle 4NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergeyvl12 View Post
try this:

Code:
#!/bin/sh 
cr needs launcher. launcher chould exit at cr finish.
Thanks, that almost worked perfectly. When I exit CR for the first time however, I just get a completely blank screen, but when hit the HOME button on my Touch the home page reappears. After that, CR exits immediately to the home screen every single time, which is perfect. Whenever I reboot, I get the blank screen on first exit again.

Also, the launcher seems to always blank out the wifi and settings icons (top row or home page). Even if I run the launcher and exit immediately (i.e. I don't run any apps, only the launcher) the wifi and settings icons disappear and only a reboot will bring them back.

These two issues are minor for me, and I still use your Coolreader app daily.

Cheers!
Darth_Bane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 07:15 PM   #304
kobo.feb
kobo.feb began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
USB network install for XP solved

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsdclsd View Post
Here are the instructions for windows (Windows 7, but XP and 8 should be similar):

1. start the launcher
2. connect usb
3. tap usbnet
4. If nothing happens on Windows, you'll need the ntx driver instead of the freescale one. You can get it from the original firmware (KoboRoot.tar\drivers\ntx508\usb\gadget\), replace the arcotg_udc.ko and g_ether.ko files in .kobo\usbnet. Repeat steps 1-3.
5. Windows recognizes the new usb device but can not find the right driver for it.
6. Go to Device Manager (start -> search for programs and files, type "device manager") and find the device with yellow exclamation mark under "other devices".
Right click -> update driver software -> Browse computer for driver -> let me pick from a list -> network adapters -> Microsoft -> Remote NDIS Compatible Device ->install it regardless it's "not recommended".
7. Go to Network Connections (start -> search for programs and files, type "Network Connections") and right click on RNDIS/Ethernet gadget, choose Properties.
8. Choose Internet Protocol V4 -> properties -> use the following IP address: 192.168.2.100, subnet mask: 255.255.255.0 .

To test the connection, start a command prompt (start -> search -> cmd.exe) and type "ping 192.168.2.101"

For remote login, I tested Putty (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PuTTY), works like a charm.
I have managed to make it work on my Kobo Glo under XP, but I had to make my own .inf driver file as XP/SP3 did not contain any generic driver.
So step 6. a bit different:

6. Go to Device Manager (start -> search for programs and files, type "device manager") and find the device with yellow exclamation mark under "other devices".
Right click -> update driver software -> Browse computer for driver -> let me pick from a list -> network adapters -> have disk -> download this zipped .inf file and unzip it to a directory and select it ->install it regardless it's "not recommended".

step 7. is the same
step 8. is the same, however Internet Protocol V4 is listed on my XP as TCP/IP protocol"

I also have tested with Putty and works OK.

This .inf file works on my Glo, but I am almost sure will not work on Aura/Touch, etc.

To make your appropriate .inf file for XP you can do the following (as I did):
1. Go this microsoft webaddress to get a generic RNDIS inf file: RNDIS template for XP

2. Copy the full content of the data in the bracket to notepad or any text editor and save it for example kobo.inf

3. In the device manager click on the RNDIS/Ethernet gadget item, choose Properties, choose "details" option and select "hardware IDs" from the pull down menu.

4. you will see something similar: USB\Vid_0525&Pid_a4a2&Rev_0326

5. copy this text (only this first line!) into your .inf file in your text editor and replace USB\VID_xxxx&PID_yyyy texts with it. (included 3 times in the file)

6. save your .inf file and now ready to install your Kobo device usb network with the steps above (including my modified step 6).

Last edited by kobo.feb; 02-06-2014 at 07:17 PM.
kobo.feb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 05:03 PM   #305
sergeyvl12
ebook fan
sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

kobo.feb, thanks for detailed instruction. I'll link it in the first post.
Advert
Old 02-13-2014, 05:20 AM   #306
Leonatus
Wizard
Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino Shine 3
Sergey,
I love your "Power-off"-button. Everytime when I close the reader, there appears your picture with some lightnings in the background. Great effect, even on my Touch that is only black-and white. Reading a book is nice, but thus, there is even a lot of joy finishing it.

My simpleton question: Can I simply substitute the default image by a png of my own (for example: old castle surrounded with fog; the lighting around must be awsome, I think)?
Leonatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 03:18 PM   #307
sergeyvl12
ebook fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonatus View Post
Sergey,
I love your "Power-off"-button. Everytime when I close the reader, there appears your picture with some lightnings in the background. Great effect, even on my Touch that is only black-and white. Reading a book is nice, but thus, there is even a lot of joy finishing it.

My simpleton question: Can I simply substitute the default image by a png of my own (for example: old castle surrounded with fog; the lighting around must be awsome, I think)?
I don't see any reason why not
Old 02-15-2014, 10:29 AM   #308
Leonatus
Wizard
Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino Shine 3
O. k. Thanks! I just wanted to make sure I'm not committing a mistake.
Leonatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 06:00 PM   #309
Alastair_S
Zealot
Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Thank you for this extremely useful tool, however USBnet will not work on my N905C Touch unless I first delete the following lines in usbnet.sh
Code:
if [ $DEVICE == TOUCH ]; then
    PLATFORM=freescale
fi
(Incidentally, for Windows users do not use Windows WordPad to edit any .sh file because it will save the file in a form that the Launcher cannot read. Instead use the Launcher's own Notepad to edit the file if you have no suitable alternative text editor.)

If I want to make an image of the SD when connected to a Linux computer will the following commands work and should I use the first line or the other three lines?
Code:
ssh root@192.168.2.101 "dd if=/dev/mmcblk0" | dd of=image.img

ssh root@192.168.2.101 "dd if=/dev/mmcblk0p1" | dd of=image1.img
ssh root@192.168.2.101 "dd if=/dev/mmcblk0p2" | dd of=image2.img
ssh root@192.168.2.101 "dd if=/dev/mmcblk0p3" | dd of=image3.img
Alastair_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 06:21 PM   #310
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastair_S View Post
Thank you for this extremely useful tool, however USBnet will not work on my N905C Touch unless I first delete the following lines in usbnet.sh
Code:
if [ $DEVICE == TOUCH ]; then
    PLATFORM=freescale
fi
(Incidentally, for Windows users do not use Windows WordPad to edit any .sh file because it will save the file in a form that the Launcher cannot read. Instead use the Launcher's own Notepad to edit the file if you have no suitable alternative text editor.)

If I want to make an image of the SD when connected to a Linux computer will the following commands work and should I use the first line or the other three lines?
Code:
ssh root@192.168.2.101 "dd if=/dev/mmcblk0" | dd of=image.img

ssh root@192.168.2.101 "dd if=/dev/mmcblk0p1" | dd of=image1.img
ssh root@192.168.2.101 "dd if=/dev/mmcblk0p2" | dd of=image2.img
ssh root@192.168.2.101 "dd if=/dev/mmcblk0p3" | dd of=image3.img
Not all "Touches" are the same, Your N905C is a Mark4 device as I understand it. The earlier Touches are Mark3 devices and I guess it is those that need to use the "Freescale" driver.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 04:41 PM   #311
sirzur
sirzur began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo mini
I have read through the whole thread, and there are hints, but is it possible to boot (or power on) directly to the launcher without firing up nickel. If so, how do I achieve this?

Thanks
sirzur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 05:17 AM   #312
sergeyvl12
ebook fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirzur View Post
I have read through the whole thread, and there are hints, but is it possible to boot (or power on) directly to the launcher without firing up nickel. If so, how do I achieve this?

Thanks
It's possible. But you need to change your rcS file manually (start launcher before nickel). I can't provide such file because thay (kobo) change their's rcS in each firmware
Old 02-25-2014, 06:48 AM   #313
sirzur
sirzur began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo mini
Thanks. I would guess that I need to put this line into the rcS file

/mnt/onboard/run.sh &

I am guessing that I can comment out the following line as it call nickel

/usr/local/Kobo/nickel -qws -skipFontLoad & (for Kobo mini & Glo) in the rcS

Should I then duplicate the launcher.sh file (from your vlasovsoft directory) that you have and rename it run.sh and locate in the same level directory as .kobo (maybe at the same time removing lines "killall -STOP nickel" and "killall -CONT nickel" ?). - As you can see, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing - for me anyway

Thanks
sirzur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 09:38 AM   #314
jaredj
jaredj began at the beginning.

Wrong orientation and touch screen working wrong

Hi

Thanks Sergey for your work, this gives much more possibilities to people than just standard reader.

I have installed your KoboLauncher with no problems. Although now, when I start it, I have horizontal oriented screen, then when touching anything - it's not working. I can choose CoolReader or Exit, can't settings etc.
In CoolReader - can get menu - but then can't activate any option in the menu. I even couldn't exit CR, had to hard reboot.
Had read something about Koreader and inverted coordinates but the file to change is specific for Koreader. What to do with this in KoboLauncher?

My Kobo is Touch, N905C, serial number begin with N and software version is 3.2.0 dated 2/11/14.

Thanks for your help in advance.
jaredj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 12:42 PM   #315
maryaie
maryaie began at the beginning.

I had the KoboLauncher on my Kobo Touch and it was working well. Yesterday, I upgraded my device from 3.0.1 to 3.2.0 ... I re-installed KoboLauncher, but now it is horizontally and the touch doesn't work properly :-(
maryaie is offline   Reply With Quote