Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 04-09-2012, 09:51 AM   #76
entodoays
Zealot
entodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1
Hi rupor, was away for a few days.

Linux does have putty. I'm completely new to telnet so I'm a bit at a loss. I even looked for a telnet tutorial but did not find much.

I think I'll skip the backup procedure, especially since eventually restoring the backup seems quite risky to me since you're restoring up everything, even the boot partition and if something goes wrong there, there's no way out.

I have a further question: The procedure says that the system partition needs to be 500 kb of free space. I went to terminal emulator on the PRS-T1 and typed:
df

The system partition has only 98k free. How do I free space from the system partition? Do I delete things in the /system folder through root explorer? What is safe to remove? In the system/app folder there is EbookDemo.apk (6Mb) so in theory, if this is safe to remove, that could do the trick, but before installing your package I'll need to flash the restore set. After I do this, I cannot go to terminal emulator to check for free space and I don't know if restore set restores also the EbookDemo.apk.

What happens if there's isn't enough space? Is there the risk of bricking the PRS-T1 or does the package check if there's enough free space before starting?
entodoays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:08 AM   #77
rupor
meat popsicle
rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindles, Pixels, iPads
Install АМR before installing Apps2SD - you will have more than 6MB of free space on system partition.
rupor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2012, 10:56 AM   #78
entodoays
Zealot
entodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enough

Currently I do not have 500Kb free on the system partition. From your site I understood that this is required for the AMR and not for the Apps2SD.
Are you telling me that the restore-set (Boroda's) frees space on the system partition?

The procedure would then be:

1. Flash the restore set (frees space on system partition)
2. Flash AMR (rupor-minimal)
3. Put empty SD card in PRS-T1
4. Flash App2SD
5. Install apps

Thanks for your patience.
Old 04-09-2012, 01:11 PM   #79
rupor
meat popsicle
rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!

The procedure would then be:

1. Flash the restore set (and remove SD card with OS firmware after that)
2. Flash AMR (rupor-minimal) - you'll get free space after that
3. Flash App2SD
4. Install apps
Old 04-09-2012, 03:49 PM   #80
entodoays
Zealot

Hi rupor,

I followed your instructions and at step 2, the reader has been for 20 minutes showing opening book with the progress bar completely full and the orange light flashing. It doesn't look normal to me.
Some posts suggest resetting if it hangs but only when the progress bar returns to zero. This has not happened yet.
Advert
Old 04-09-2012, 03:54 PM   #81
rupor
meat popsicle

Wait 20 minutes, disconnect, push reset, push power - see if it boots and AMR installed. If not - restore again and start over.

This may mean many things: you did not wait long enough, you forget to take out SD card after restoration, e.t.c.

Just remember - after each install you need to validate the success...
Old 04-09-2012, 04:04 PM   #82
entodoays
Zealot

After step 1, the reader was no longer rooted. I removed the SD card and copied the tmp and updates folders together with the PRS-T1 Updater.package to the root of the READER partition. Then I flashed.
Old 04-09-2012, 04:08 PM   #83
rupor
meat popsicle

I am lost - normally you do not have to copy anything, it is done by batch file form your PC. You put your device in data transfer mode and execute batch file and at the end of batch file program being executed which puts device into recovery mode upon reboot.
Old 04-09-2012, 04:11 PM   #84
entodoays
Zealot

I followed the procedure on linux as in the wiki https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/PRST...eaks#Procedure.
Old 04-09-2012, 04:14 PM   #85
rupor
meat popsicle

I cannot comment on this - never used it.

Did you try rebooting?
Old 04-09-2012, 04:15 PM   #86
entodoays
Zealot

Now I used SD card rescue and am back with a functional unrooted reader. I'll try to use Windows to flash using the .bat file.
Old 04-09-2012, 04:30 PM   #87
entodoays
Zealot

I flashed the reader again using windows by running the batch file and again it gets stuck at "opening book...". Tried to reset + power + power but I'm still blocked there.
Old 04-09-2012, 04:40 PM   #88
multiprose
Connoisseur
multiprose can extract oil from cheesemultiprose can extract oil from cheesemultiprose can extract oil from cheesemultiprose can extract oil from cheesemultiprose can extract oil from cheesemultiprose can extract oil from cheesemultiprose can extract oil from cheesemultiprose can extract oil from cheese

Device: kindle
1] sdcard rescue
2] flash set restore 1.0.4
3] minimal root package
multiprose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 04:55 PM   #89
multiprose
Connoisseur
multiprose can extract oil from cheesemultiprose can extract oil from cheesemultiprose can extract oil from cheesemultiprose can extract oil from cheesemultiprose can extract oil from cheesemultiprose can extract oil from cheesemultiprose can extract oil from cheesemultiprose can extract oil from cheese

Device: kindle
nice work rupor! i like your package but i found that the app2sd method doesn't save that much space as the link2sd when installing applications since it doesn't auto-link during the process. with that said, i'm using both methods and it is working together fine without any bugs so far--using link2sd auto-link feature and then moving w/ your app2sd enabled.

the global listview enhancement makes it noticeably more usable. before i'd have to toggle the refresh enabler each time, which always made me want to pull my hair out. do you think it would be possible to get that feature to work on any dragging or scrolling? have you seen this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cucG03rg3tg

i got it from this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...1570924&page=3
multiprose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 05:12 PM   #90
entodoays
Zealot

Bingo!

That did the trick.

1. SD card rescue
2. Restore set 1.0.0.4
3. rupor's AMR
4. App2SD flash package

Thanks rupor and multiprose.

Last edited by entodoays; 04-09-2012 at 05:16 PM.