Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-21-2011, 03:19 PM   #106
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
Will anything short of the announcment of a new book be a flop of an announcement?

I heard speculation that the announcement could be the release of HP as ebooks, some kind of online game, a HP dictionary, some kind of social networking thing, etc. However, I can't say that any of these would really interest me. Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see HP as ebooks, but I've already read the books so its not a huge deal for me personally if she sticks to not releasing them as ebooks. On the other hand, if she announces a new series with new characters in the HP world then THAT would be huge news. I'm afraid anything short of that is going to be "meh".
i have to agree, Daithi. I'd love to see her come out with a new series. Even if it's not in the HP world.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 03:27 PM   #107
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I think some kind of MMO is most likely what it is.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2011, 03:35 PM   #108
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
I doubt it is a game, because they've made plenty of Harry Potter games before, and she's not been a part of any of them. Why would she suddenly want to be involved in games, when she's been able to before but hasn't done so?
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 03:38 PM   #109
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
At the risk of showing my ignorance, what's an MMO AnemicOak?

Phenomshel, I too would be happy with a new book even if it wasn't in the HP world. Although, I think whatever she is going to announce will be HP related because her pre-announcement mentions something called "pottermore".
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 03:40 PM   #110
Ditchleyportrait
Fanatic
Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
i was happy to have inhabited her harry potter world for a time. i read the first four as they came out.
Ditchleyportrait is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2011, 03:40 PM   #111
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
At the risk of showing my ignorance, what's an MMO AnemicOak?
I'm not AnemicOak, but as it pertains to gaming, it probably refers to a Massively Multiplayer Online game.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 03:41 PM   #112
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
I doubt it is a game, because they've made plenty of Harry Potter games before, and she's not been a part of any of them. Why would she suddenly want to be involved in games, when she's been able to before but hasn't done so?
The reason some people believe it is a game or some kind of social networking thing is because Warner Bros registered the Pottermore trademark two years ago, and they described it as "providing multiple-user access to a global computer information network".
Old 06-21-2011, 03:50 PM   #113
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
The slow refresh rate of the eInk screen won't support magic pictures.
well...

Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 03:55 PM   #114
Daithi
Publishers are evil!

Oh, no!

According to MTV ---
Quote:
Scholastic says that the announcement does not involve a new book.
So you can probably just count me underwhelmed. Somebody poke me when she writes something new. (Same with Stephanie Meyers. Apparently once you have earned massive amounts of cash your desire to write isn't as strong as it once was.)
Old 06-21-2011, 03:57 PM   #115
Nahgem
Groupie
Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
All the current games are based on the movies, which makes them pretty much the WB's jurisdiction (though through her involvement with the films she is indirectly involved in those games as well). If this is an rpg of some sort, and if it contains elements from a timeline not covered by the books/films or extraneous information from any of her notes or her in-progress encyclopedia, or her editors' "bibles", Jo probably has to be on board somehow if they want to use that info. Also, because the Potter world is Jo's baby, I'm skeptical that she would allow any expansion to it without her direct involvement, and WB have been amazing about keeping her involved in things, even when they probably don't have to. The amount of involvement she had in the film script approval and in the development of the Park (down to taste-testing the Butterbeer recipes) is nearly unprecedented.

Not saying I think for sure it IS an RPG, but if it is, it makes a ton of sense to me that she'd be at the forefront of development.
Nahgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 04:06 PM   #116
Nahgem
Groupie
Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks
Quote:
Somebody poke me when she writes something new. (Same with Stephanie Meyers. Apparently once you have earned massive amounts of cash your desire to write isn't as strong as it once was.)
She has said she's working on non-Potter stuff as well. It took her more than five years to plot HP and write the first book. I'm more than happy to give her those five years again, and then some, if the next thing is as intricately plotted and developed as HP.

</JKR apologist mode>
Nahgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 04:20 PM   #117
Daithi
Publishers are evil!

Then poke me in five years.
Old 06-21-2011, 04:30 PM   #118
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahgem View Post
She has said she's working on non-Potter stuff as well. It took her more than five years to plot HP and write the first book. I'm more than happy to give her those five years again, and then some, if the next thing is as intricately plotted and developed as HP.

</JKR apologist mode>
Whenever I think of JKR's writing and publishing timeline, I'm reminded of what Don McLean said when asked what 'American Pie' meant.

He said "It means I only work when I want to."

Last edited by ApK; 06-21-2011 at 04:34 PM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 04:37 PM   #119
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
So you can probably just count me underwhelmed. Somebody poke me when she writes something new. (Same with Stephanie Meyers. Apparently once you have earned massive amounts of cash your desire to write isn't as strong as it once was.)
I dunno. I think once you've created something as successful as Harry Potter, the daunting thing is coming up with something that's even better.

Stephanie Meyers, well, don't really understand the appeal (and I tend to love vampire fiction). I think I just read the first two pages of Twilight and promptly abandoned it.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 04:47 PM   #120
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I think some kind of MMO is most likely what it is.
I'd actually be interested in that. I'm an MMO geek dating back to Meridian 59 and text MUDS even before that.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote