Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 12-19-2010, 06:30 AM   #1
leday
Groupie
leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-700, Nook Color
Touchscreen trouble?

Last night, I "woke up" my NC from its sleep mode and unlocked it (so far so good), and it turned on to the last page of the book I was reading OK. THEN, my touchscreen "froze" all of a sudden and would not register any of my touches. I couldn't turn the page, get any menus, nothing, except very randomly the screen would do "something" (like highlight a word) in a "delayed" response to a touch. I tried to do a soft reset (power down and then power back on) but I couldn't turn it off at all as the screen would not register my touch on the "do you want to power off completely" button. I tried to power down multiple times (same result). I was trying to find out how to do a hard reset when the NC suddenly DID power off (again, like a "delayed reaction" to my touch of the power off button??), and when I powered back on again it was working fine.

Has anybody else experienced something like this? Where can I find how to do a hard reset if this should happen again and I can't get it to power off?
leday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 09:44 AM   #2
French
Groupie
French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
This is definitely not something I have experienced and I've put my poor Nook through hell and back.

I hope someone else will come along to give you hard reset instructions.
French is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2010, 03:04 PM   #3
mdarnton
mdarnton began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
I managed to choke my wife's this morning by trying to do too many things quickly in succession until it froze (my android phone has the same issue). Pressing the on/off button and holding it until it went black, then restarting, solved the problem.
mdarnton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 06:50 PM   #4
leday
Groupie
leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

When you press it and hold it, though, doesn't a popup come on the screen asking you if you want to power off completely or not (and you are supposed to touch "yes" to continue to power down)? My screen would not accept my "yes" touch so it couldn't power down (it stays on if the "yes" button isn't pressed within 2 seconds or so). Do you mean to continue holding the power on/off button THROUGH that message and it will go black? (if so, I think this is finally what might have happened in my case as the screen suddenly went black and I could restart it again after that).
Old 12-19-2010, 07:57 PM   #5
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Yes, keep holding it longer. To power off you hold the button for 3 seconds and then the message pops up. The manual says that if your NC becomes unresponsive to hold the power button for 5 seconds (called a soft reset).
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2010, 10:43 PM   #6
leday
Groupie

Ah...that's probably what I did without realizing it when I thought it had turned itself off. Thanks.
Old 12-23-2010, 10:49 AM   #7
Rayven01
Nevermore
Rayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Nook, Nook Color, Stanza(iphone)
I've had this happen before, specifically when the screen gets wet (usually when I'm cleaning the fingerprints off). I've always found that just tapping the power button to put it to sleep and then waking it up fixes the issue, no full power-off required. I now make sure to put it to sleep before cleaning.
Rayven01 is offline   Reply With Quote