Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-22-2010, 05:19 PM   #1
Diegan
Diegan began at the beginning.

Device: Jinke V3
Buying free books from Europe

I just ordered my kindle. If I start 'buying' free ebooks from kindle store, will they charge me anything when I get my kindle DXG, to deliver them to it? I have read of a 2-dollar fee or something like that...
Diegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 09:01 PM   #2
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
That can happen if you buy it with the Kindle. Try it with the Kindle PC program and convert it for your Kindle.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2010, 08:38 AM   #3
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
The price of books in the Kindle store have nothing to do with the hardware used. At one time, US residents were charged $1.99 per book to download books while outside the country, but that fee has been dropped. Non-US customers are generally charged a higher amount per book, to help cover expenses (presumably) of operating in areas where Amazon incurs roaming charges; however, this amount is disclosed up front, when purchasing the book (it's included in the price you see when logged into your account).

Once purchased, there is no fee to download your Kindle books, regardless of where you read them. Downloading personal docs via Whispernet does incur a charge, which is based upon where it is downloaded (US fees are less than most international fees, which directly reflects their cost of delivery).
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 08:41 AM   #4
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
The price of books in the Kindle store have nothing to do with the hardware used. At one time, US residents were charged $1.99 per book to download books while outside the country, but that fee has been dropped. Non-US customers are generally charged a higher amount per book, to help cover expenses (presumably) of operating in areas where Amazon incurs roaming charges; however, this amount is disclosed up front, when purchasing the book (it's included in the price you see when logged into your account).

Once purchased, there is no fee to download your Kindle books, regardless of where you read them. Downloading personal docs via Whispernet does incur a charge, which is based upon where it is downloaded (US fees are less than most international fees, which directly reflects their cost of delivery).
In that case you might create a second Amazon US account, use Kindle DX to buy the (US-) books and transfer them to your Kindle.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 09:54 PM   #5
krazy4katz
Addict
krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: [Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (KK)], Kindle Voyage, iPad Pro
I know this is a slightly different subject, but recently, I have had to pay tax on a couple of kindle books, which was NOT disclosed in the price. I am in the U.S. I emailed Amazon and received the following reply:

Hello,

Recently, several publishers modified their relationship with Amazon to a business model whereby the publisher, not Amazon, sells the Kindle book. Kindle books sold by the publisher are subject to sales tax based on the publisher’s state tax reporting obligations and the taxability of digital books in those states.

As a result, sales tax for Kindle books sold by the publisher may differ from the sales tax to which you’ve been accustomed for Kindle books. Kindle books sold by Amazon Digital Services, Inc. are subject to sales tax in Kentucky and Washington State.

You can find additional information about sellers and states that collect sales tax in our Help pages here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...512&#merchants

I hope this helps. Thanks for your interest in the Kindle Store.

Best regards,

Carla A.
http://www.amazon.com
=============================

So you may also see this charge for some of your books.

krazy4katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2010, 09:34 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
Over the last few months, this extra fee has been dropped in many countries, including the UK. Kindle books now cost the same in the UK as in the US - with the addition of VAT, obviously.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote