Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-22-2010, 02:30 PM   #1
Evolut1on
Evolut1on began at the beginning.

Device: none
Ebook reader screen freezed (no reset/turn off)

Hi guys
I have a big problem. The screen on my ebook freezed. I tried to turn it off with the power switch, but that didn't work. Then pressed the reset button, didn't work either. So my ebook reader is on and i cant shut down it and i cant read!

I can connect the device to my Computer!

Normally i would remove the battery of the device, but therefore i have to screw it open. I dont know if i have still the guaranty when i open this device.

What should i do? I dont want to wait until the battery life is dead!

kind regards
Evolution
Evolut1on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 02:38 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Sounds like it needs a good full charge, preferably via a charger you plug into the wall.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2010, 03:08 PM   #3
Evolut1on

Thank you for your quick reply!
First I dont have charger for the wall socket!

Secondly I dont understand why i should charge it. The device is three-quarters (75%) full.
Old 06-22-2010, 03:12 PM   #4
Elton Noway
Elton Noway will become famous soon enoughElton Noway will become famous soon enoughElton Noway will become famous soon enoughElton Noway will become famous soon enoughElton Noway will become famous soon enoughElton Noway will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony Reader PRS-300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evolut1on View Post
Hi guys
I have a big problem. The screen on my ebook freezed. I tried to turn it off with the power switch, but that didn't work. Then pressed the reset button, didn't work either. So my ebook reader is on and i cant shut down it and i cant read!

I can connect the device to my Computer!
Yep... As recommended by AnemicOak... it sounds like you need a GOOD charge. There have been MANY reports on Sony readers (various models) having to do with reports of freezing or locking up when the battery gets too low. The battery icon (number of bars) is not the fool proof indicator many of us think it to be. Some units lock up with what appears to be indicating a full charge.

The preferred method to charge is via the AC adapter. Ref: Per the Sony website...

"It is recommended to charge the Reader using the supplied AC Adapter."

If you don't have a AC adapter / charger they are readily available on eBay
A generic Sony PSP charger will also work well . I fyou don;t have one they are alos on eBay for less than $5.00 "delivered" (HINT - buy from a US seller otherwise you will have to wait forever for it if it ships from China.

Just FYI... per the Sony website the correct adapter has the following specifications:

Sony Charger: ACS5220E
Input Voltage : 100-240V 50/60Hz
Output Power : 5.2V 2000mA

Ironically, these are the same specs as the PSP AC adapter.

Here are a few links to the eBay deals.

This first AC charger link is not for the Sony AC-S5220E. It is for the PSP AC Charger. However, upon examination you should notice that the input/output specifications are exactly the same (i.e. 5V 2A). Be aware these are not genuine Sony OEM chargers if that is a concern to you. The good news is they ship from New Jersey... and are only $3.95 delivered!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

If you would feel better about using a genuine Sony AC adapter, and don't mind paying a little more, these are genuine Sony adapters for the PSP, again not the AC-S5220E, but they have the correct voltage and amperage specs, ship from Los Angeles and are only $9.98 delivered.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sony-Original-PS...item414952ea40

If you absolutely must have the Sony ACS5220E model number charger, you can get them on eBay (as well as other on line stores) shipped from many US locations. Just search eBay using ACS5220E.

The only difference between the PSP charger and AC-S5220E is the physical design of the charging plug tip itself. On the genuine AC-S5220E charger the yellow tipped plug end is straight (in-line with the cord). On "some "PSP chargers the yellow tip is at a 90 degree angle to the cord..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evolut1on View Post
Normally i would remove the battery of the device, but therefore i have to screw it open. I dont know if i have still the guaranty when i open this device.

What should i do? I dont want to wait until the battery life is dead!
If the screen is on, no buttons work and pressing the reset button does nothing! And if you mean waiting till the battery dies so the screen will go blank... you could be in for a LOOOOOONG wait.

Heres why… Because the E-Ink screen does not need electricity to keep the picture, the opposite is also true: it only needs electricity to "change" the picture .. reflash the image ( like turning a page)... including clearing the screen. Because of this anomoly you can press reset and the screen can stay as is!

Instead, look for the LED to light up (yellow) after a reset. This indicates it is starting up - if not... use the power switch & check it again

Last edited by Elton Noway; 06-22-2010 at 03:26 PM.
Elton Noway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 07:28 AM   #5
Evolut1on

Thank you very much for your detailed report!
Im from germany so i cant use any of these chargers, but thats no problem ill find an appropriate one.
Is it also possbile to load it again via usb? Or should/must be via a charger for the wall socket?

kind regards
Advert
Old 06-23-2010, 08:46 AM   #6
JLYates
Connoisseur
JLYates began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 900BC
I'm no expert, but from what I have gathered here is that the problem with using the computer if that if it goes into its sleep mode (after being left alone) it can hurt the reader.

So, unless you are at your computer and able to keep it "awake" I wouldn't use the computer to charge it. I think it is supposed to take at least five hours on the computer. Less time with the AC charger.

I am beginning to wonder if the problem I am having with my 900 is the battery being low. It shows one bar, but it seems that doesn't matter. Also, my battery seems to be holding a charge for only a couple of days, will have to do some searching here to find info about that problem.

Good luck on your reader.

Janette
JLYates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 11:28 AM   #7
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Yates, OP

I had the same problem. I am not sure I figured it out, but I did gain some insights:

1) it is battery related;

2) USB charging should work - just let it sit there for a long time;

3) I was able to do a hard reset for the 900 in those situations by pressing the reset button and the power button at the same time. It took a couple of tries; but when freezes like this start happening, a hard reset won't help much - it will freeze again until properly charged;

4) battery indicators are misleading; it may say full, it doesn't mean it is;

5) I bought a replacement battery from SONY and ever since then I never had the problem. Which makes me thing I had a defective battery at first. As soon as I get back home (months) I will ask for a refund/replacement, but I haven't yet.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 11:35 AM   #8
someoneinseattle
someoneinseattle is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony E-reader PRS 505
JLYates,

I agree with you. Two days ago, I left my PRS 505 hooked up to my laptop via USB cable over night, I was thinking I'd have a good charge on it in the morning. The computer went in sleep mode and my reader was frozen in the morning.

Maybe there is a way to fix it but what I did was I re-installed the firmware, even though my firmware had already been updated before the freeze. My PRS 505 works again after re-installing of firmware. This is the only way that I know to thaw out my frozen reader.

Yesterday I placed my order on EBAY for an AC wall charger. I won't use my USB cable for charging again.

I love my Sony PRS 505.
someoneinseattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 01:19 PM   #9
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
Are you sure you are doing a proper reset? Are you sliding the power button after you press reset? Do you get a yellow light on top after pressing the reset hole?

Simply pressing reset does not do a full reset.
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 02:14 PM   #10
dorino
I'm odd. Take note.
dorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-books

Device: deceased PRS-600, Nook STR
you CAN charge it using your computer. You must make sure your computer doesn't go into sleep mode, though. It will also take longer than with an AC.
dorino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 02:22 PM   #11
someoneinseattle

Yes, I did reset by pushing and holding a paper clip in the tiny hole on the back of the reader, then I slid the ON/OFF button but it was still frozen. I forgot to notice what light color I had.

I had used my USB cable for charging for more than 1 year now but until 2 days ago I had never left it hooked up over night.

I will start using my AC charger when I get it. One more freezing will probably ruin the circuit board in it.
Old 06-23-2010, 02:38 PM   #12
dorino
I'm odd. Take note.
dorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by someoneinseattle View Post
I will start using my AC charger when I get it. One more freezing will probably ruin the circuit board in it.
I don't think that's likely at all. The freezing is more to prevent damage than anything else. A failsafe.
Old 06-23-2010, 03:25 PM   #13
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorino View Post
you CAN charge it using your computer. You must make sure your computer doesn't go into sleep mode, though. It will also take longer than with an AC.
If the battery level drops down to an extremely low level then it becomes impossible to charge it via usb. Then your only alternative is to use an AC charger.
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 05:48 PM   #14
dorino
I'm odd. Take note.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edbro View Post
If the battery level drops down to an extremely low level then it becomes impossible to charge it via usb. Then your only alternative is to use an AC charger.
Mine's bricked like OP has described before, but it still charged via USB. I later bought an AC charger, since it charges so much quicker. I'll take note, though.
Old 06-23-2010, 06:49 PM   #15
someoneinseattle

Dorino,

Good point. I have not thought of that as fail/safe measure. I think you are right.