Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-09-2006, 03:06 PM   #1
Fitzwaryn
Connoisseur
Fitzwaryn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Fitzwaryn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Fitzwaryn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Fitzwaryn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

RTF Title in Sony Reader

ANyone have a clue where the Sony Reader File indexing is picking up the file name from?

i.e
RTF file is named:
(ebook) - Card, Orson Scott - Ender's Saga - 03 - Xenocide.rtf

The Reader indexes it in the Book list as:
Xenocide

Which is also the first word in the text itself.

Assuming it was picking up the First text line I changed it to:
Card, Orson Scott - Ender's Saga - 03 - Xenocide

Deleted the old copy on the Rreader. Transferred the new one over. It indexes and shows as:
Xenocide
Fitzwaryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 03:16 PM   #2
ChrisAllenFiz
Enthusiast
ChrisAllenFiz doesn't litterChrisAllenFiz doesn't litter

If you right click on the rtf in your computer, then select properties, then the summary tab, is the title listed there?
ChrisAllenFiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2006, 03:17 PM   #3
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Open the file in Word (or equivalent) and look at the file properties. That's where it seems to pull it from for me.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 04:02 PM   #4
Greg G
Groupie
Greg G is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle Papwerwhite
When you save a file in word that does not have proerties (ie if you read in a txt file and are saving it as a rtf) then it will make the first line of text in the document the title. You may have also noticed that it thinks you are the author =).
Greg G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 07:39 PM   #5
ltamote
ltamote can extract oil from cheeseltamote can extract oil from cheeseltamote can extract oil from cheeseltamote can extract oil from cheeseltamote can extract oil from cheeseltamote can extract oil from cheeseltamote can extract oil from cheeseltamote can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505 (500 dead); PRS-600; Kindle 2; PRS-300; Kindle 3
I was experimenting with RTF over the weekend, and getting proper titles and authors was one thing I managed to do. Here's how I did it:

1. Open the RTF file in Notepad (NOT Wordpad) so that you see all of the text.

2. Near the top of the file, there's should be a line starting with: {\*\generator. If not, look for the last line that starts with a curly bracket {.

3. Add a new line above that one and insert an RTF "info" group. The sample here is for Stevenson's Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde:

{\info{\title The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde}{\author Robert Louis Stevenson}}

Replace just the title and author info, leaving all the brackets and back slashes.

4. Save the file in Notepad. When you load it into Connect, it will show the correct information.

I've also been trying to get more whitespace on the left & right margins of my RTF files and add page headers, but - so far - no luck. They show correctly in Word, but not Wordpad or Connect.
ltamote is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2006, 08:53 PM   #6
Greg G
Groupie
Greg G is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle Papwerwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltamote
I was experimenting with RTF over the weekend, and getting proper titles and authors was one thing I managed to do. Here's how I did it:

1. Open the RTF file in Notepad (NOT Wordpad) so that you see all of the text.

2. Near the top of the file, there's should be a line starting with: {\*\generator. If not, look for the last line that starts with a curly bracket {.

3. Add a new line above that one and insert an RTF "info" group. The sample here is for Stevenson's Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde:

{\info{\title The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde}{\author Robert Louis Stevenson}}

Replace just the title and author info, leaving all the brackets and back slashes.

4. Save the file in Notepad. When you load it into Connect, it will show the correct information.
I think it is easier just to use word and go to file-properties and type it in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltamote
I've also been trying to get more whitespace on the left & right margins of my RTF files and add page headers, but - so far - no luck. They show correctly in Word, but not Wordpad or Connect.
It seems that the reader ignores any header and margin size settings on the origional rtf. I bit of a disapointment to me as well since there seems to be blank space at the bottom where there is room for another line of text.
Greg G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 02:33 AM   #7
John
John began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
RTF and indenting text on the left and right

Greetings -

I was able to indent text on the left and right in an .rtf document by setting the margins for specific paragraphs. On my word processor, I set these margins using the rulers.

Originally, I tried setting the margins for the document. While this is a valid way to do things under the RTF spec, the Sony Reader ignores document margins.

Hopefully, this trick will work for others.

John
John is offline   Reply With Quote