Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 04-07-2010, 06:55 PM   #61
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Randal, thank you!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randal6393 View Post
Bob,

Will keep an eye on your site -- you are working hard to make it a good one. I bought three books and was able to download one. Your shop credited me for the cost of the books that I could not download. That's fair and I am looking forward to the publisher/seller debate getting settled.

Best of luck to you,
I hope others will see it your way. We all hate this Agency Model thing and the snealy way it went into effect (one night we have discount prices and downloads and the next day many of them are simply "unavailable".

I wish I could share the biggest news going on here with our eBook Readers and eBook store... but there is a gag order in effect. Let me just say good news is coming that should make a lot of people happy.

Like with how we started with eBook Readers, so the new eBook Store is a learning experience. The best part of Astak is that we listen and act. The bad part is we are novices at selling eBooks. But, we know where we want to take this and that is global. Right now we need support by way of purchases. We can build a better and lower priced eBook Store if we can show some sales. I aim to make this website really sizzle with some great bargains and new titles only sold on our site.

I appreciate your help!!
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 09:07 PM   #62
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
I wish I could share the biggest news going on here with our eBook Readers and eBook store... but there is a gag order in effect. Let me just say good news is coming that should make a lot of people happy.
eReader format? I'm still waiting...
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-07-2010, 09:18 PM   #63
Robertb
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Lomg Wait

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
eReader format? I'm still waiting...
Dear FizzyWater:

Let me try to clarify what is happening on eReader format.

We talked with Fictionwise and they promised to grandfather us in with no problem. Price acceptable. Just waiting for the SDK to port it.

8 months later... no SDK yet but hope soon.

Barnes and Noble buys Fictionwise. Promise to Grandfather in but must get contract from B&N.

3 months later... B&N contract. But, it demands exclusivity. Cannot put both ADE and eReader on same device. Try to bargain this out but no success.

What would you do? It costs a ton of money to get ADE ported into the devices and then more to buy the rights to port it. If I went with eReader I would have to dump ADE... irritating the hell out of everybody who had purchased the device, asking the factories to report eReader and pay for eReader, and changing our entire eBook Store.

Can you see that it is not Astak? We tried and were all set. We just cannot sign an exclusivity agreement. Would we like eReader? Definitely. Will B&N change their contract? I doubt it ever.

Last edited by Robertb; 04-07-2010 at 09:21 PM.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:26 PM   #64
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
What would you do? <snip>
Can you see that it is not Astak? We tried and were all set. We just cannot sign an exclusivity agreement. Would we like eReader? Definitely. Will B&N change their contract? I doubt it ever.
Given that I think ePub is the going to be the eventual winner in the format wars, you went with the right choice.

The eReader format was the only reason I was considering buying another reader, when I really am mostly satisfied with the ones I already have. Not to have to convert the majority of my book collection just might be worth buying another gadget.

I'll keep on eye on your bookstore, though!
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 07:46 PM   #65
Robertb

Support Astak for FREE!

Dear All:

Whether you need an eBook or do not... and WHO does not want free eBooks from Google... please become a MEMBER on www.MyEZread.com. Membership is free!!

How does this help Astak? Well, the more members we have (even non-buying members) the more chance we have to deal with friendly publishers DIRECT. That means lower pricing and means more titles.

We ARE also trying to add the new Google Editions to our website. That is about 12 MILLION eBooks (some free and some pay) and it means Google deals quite effectively with the publishers to lower the cost.

I need your help to help you!! Hate the Agency Model? Hate DRM? Help Astak FIGHT for your rights too. Become a member for free and let us wage a bit of war. Members make Astak have CLOUT!! The time to be counted is now!!
Advert
Old 04-09-2010, 09:23 PM   #66
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I had not seen this announcement when I went and signed up and bought some books (EPUB).

The selection was very good.
The shopping experience was very bad.

Critique:
adding to the shopping cart should allow yew to return to the browsing page left , not page 1

Speaking of page: There is this nice Jump to page at the bottom. What page was I ON

Show me what formats I want (all,EPUB,PDF: choice) to see, not everything.

(green) Author non-link Clicking should show all the authors works (in a new Tab?)

Finally, the download.
1 completed successfully and opens fine, the other just keep saying error (happens on Windows and Ubuntu). No reason given (ADE 1.7.2.1131 installed)

Edit
I forgot to mention: shifting to different genres, shopping cart were snail slow.

Last edited by theducks; 04-09-2010 at 09:27 PM. Reason: added snail
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 09:53 PM   #67
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
I wonder if they fixed any of the things we reported back to them before going live?
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 07:14 AM   #68
Laura81
Addict
Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 5
The search options don't seem to be working. I searched for Patricia Cornwell and nothing came up whereas before all her books did. Also I searched for Star Trek The Next Generation book and nothing came up... so neither search seems to be working. Unless these books are no longer available because of the Agency Model Pricing bullshit.
Laura81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 07:48 AM   #69
rleguillow
Always Reading
rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: FW 1192, PRS-700, kobo, Rocket, PRS-650, Nook Glow, Kobo Glo, others
Question

RobertB, I'm confused.
I was poking around the site this morning, and for a kick did a search on Rand, Ayn. The first line of results returned had Anthem in pdf for 2.99, Anthem in pdf for 1.99, Anthem in pdf for 3.99 and Anthem in epub for 2.99. I can understand having Anthem in pdf and epub, and having the same price on both. What I don't understand is the other two. 3 prices on the same book in the same format? Are you having price-wars with yourself?
rleguillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 11:57 AM   #70
tmclough
Connoisseur
tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pocket PRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura81 View Post
The search options don't seem to be working. I searched for Patricia Cornwell and nothing came up whereas before all her books did. Also I searched for Star Trek The Next Generation book and nothing came up... so neither search seems to be working. Unless these books are no longer available because of the Agency Model Pricing bullshit.
It's the Agency Model Pricing bullshit. I've periodically been searching for Star Trek myself, both at MyEZread and BooksOnBoard, and the latter still has exactly 16 titles--far fewer than before the current fiasco.
tmclough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 12:09 PM   #71
Laura81
Addict
Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmclough View Post
It's the Agency Model Pricing bullshit. I've periodically been searching for Star Trek myself, both at MyEZread and BooksOnBoard, and the latter still has exactly 16 titles--far fewer than before the current fiasco.
What bullshit. So not only do they jack the prices up with this new pricing but now we can't even get the damn books! What crap! Talk about pushing people to find them in other ways.
Old 04-10-2010, 12:20 PM   #72
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
Yeah it is crap. For Laurell K Hamilton only her Merry Gentry series is showing, none of her Anita Blake series. Also None of Mary or Carol Higgins Clark books will come up.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 01:02 PM   #73
Laura81
Addict

I wonder just how long all this is going to go on for.
Old 04-10-2010, 02:44 PM   #74
Davimee
Happy Wife & Momma
Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Purple Astak Pocket Pro! :)
I feel bad for those at Astak. They've been trying to get this book store together for so long, and now that they've finally got it, all this happens. And it's just bad timing. I hope it doesn't take too much business away from their site.
Davimee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 02:57 PM   #75
Laura81
Addict

I think this new Agency Model Pricing is going to take a lot of business away from all ebook sites.