Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-06-2010, 12:26 PM   #1
bry82
bry82 began at the beginning.

Device: prs 500
PSR 500 cover

I was looking for a new cover for my PRS 500.
They are impossible to find for a fair price, even on ebay.

do you know if a leather cover for prs 600 is gonna fit a prs 500?
bry82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 12:37 PM   #2
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
it will not fit. PRS 500 has a round clip at the back,
PRS 600 has a hinge.
Do you have your old cover?
You could reuse the clip and make your own cover.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2010, 12:50 PM   #3
bry82
bry82 began at the beginning.

Device: prs 500
Unfortunatly I don't have the old cover.

I suppose I'll have to buy a third party cover.Any suggestion?

Last edited by bry82; 03-06-2010 at 01:09 PM.
bry82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 02:45 PM   #4
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by bry82 View Post
I suppose I'll have to buy a third party cover.Any suggestion?
This is what I would do.

0. cut a piece of thick cardboard from an old box to the size of PRS-500 and carry it everywhere, so you can test any cover, journal, metallic gift box for DVD, any container if it would fit your reader.

1a. get a nice leather journal or
1b. build a cover from two boards that are used for printed circuit boards and a piece of leather from an old handbag purchased from a second-hand store. If you want to get really fancy you can purchase a nice piece of leather and use very thin piece of plywood used for modelbuilding. You can also purchase a welders apron or leather welders gloves and cut out pieces of leather you might use. I do that very often.
1c. use a piece of cardboard and strong fabric to make a cover

2. find and mark places on the right edge of PRS500 where magnets are located. Use a piece of metal and see where it is attracted.

3. glue two pieces of steel or other magnetic material to the board that is reinforcing the top part of my cover, so the magnets could hold the cover closed.

4. use several pieces of double sided adhesive tape to glue pieces of velcro to the back of the reader

5. place adhesive tape on top of velcro I have glued to the reader and use that to fix it on the cover. You night want to take the reader out sometimes, for example to reset it. Glue the fluffy part of velcro the reader body and hard part to the cover, so it does not irritate your hand or snatch at your sweater when you use the reader without cover.

Make cover some 3-5mm (or 1/8" - 1/4" - depending on where you live;-) ) bigger than reader on all sides, so when you drop the reader in the cover the edge would be protected

Make cover so it can be bent back, when you read.

See this thread for inspiration
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43083
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 04:01 PM   #5
Kosst Amojan
Addict
Kosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to behold

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
bit more expensive http://www.sfbags.com/products/sonyr...sonyreader.htm
Kosst Amojan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert