Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-09-2008, 10:06 AM   #1
couragous
couragous began at the beginning.

Device: E-Book Reader
sony Reader question (prs-505/lc)?

I don't live in the states but I want to buy the sony ebook reader and was thinking of letting a famliy member who lives there buy it for me , now my question I am kind of confused on how to upload books to the reader , I mean can I have books or articles which are downloaded to pc and simply transfer them to the reader or do I have to connect to the book store(amazon) online as my only means of getting books on to the reader ? Please this is very important
couragous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 10:38 AM   #2
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
First of all, it's the Kindle that's associated with Amazon, not the Sony Reader. :-)

Having said that, both will let you copy file onto them via a PC, although (as you might expect) that's the primary method for the Sony whereas doing so on the Kindle (in fact, using it outside the US) will be missing out on it's strong point, which is the wireless integration.

Anyway, for the Sony, yes, you simply download to a PC (or convert from other formats, which is also fairly simple) then transfer to the Sony. This latter can be either just copying it, as the Reader shows up as a USB storage device, or by using the (Windows) Sony eBook Library software or via the open-source, multi-platform libprs500 application.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2008, 10:54 AM   #3
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Welcome to MobileRead, couragous!

I can understand your confusion, there's a lot of info floating around. Let me try to de-tangle some of it for you.

Okay, we're talking about the Sony Reader (not eReader, by the way, that's a Palm application for reading books), and if you are buying a new one you are probably talking about the PRS505 model.

That device doesn't work with Amazon's books at all. You can buy books for it from Sony's Ebook Store, but that is a bit complicated from outside the U.S., so we'll set it aside for the moment.

You are not limited to material from Sony. You can get stuff from many sources, especially if you're willing to do a bit of converting to get to a format the Reader will handle. The Reader will handle files in these formats: TXT, LRF, LRX, RFT, and PDF.

TXT of course doesn't handle any formatting bits, such as bold, italics and such.

LRF and LRX are Sony's BBeB format, the non-encrypted and encrypted types. There are a number of tools that will make LRF (the non-encrypted type) out of a large variety of source formats.

RTF is probably the simplest to deal with on the Reader, as you don't have to convert it at all to open it on the Reader. If you can save your source material in RTF format, the Reader will open it right up. There are a couple of catches on that, though. The first is that the Reader won't display images in an RTF file -- not usually a problem for books, but it can be for other materials. The second catch is that the Reader shows the text in an RTF at a fairly small size, so increasing the text size before putting it on the Reader is a good idea.

PDF -- this one has a really big catch. PDF files look great on the Reader IF they are formatted for the Reader's screen size. If the PDF is sized for an A4 page, it will be mostly unreadable on the Reader's display. If you're making your own PDF files, that's not really a problem because you can control the "page" size the files are made at, but if you're getting PDF files from other sources, it can be a big problem.

That being said, the format I recommend for the Reader is either RTF or LRF.

Now for actually transferring files onto the Reader, with the 505 you have several options. You can use Sony's e-Book Library software or the libprs500 app (that you can find on this site) to transfer the files over USB. You can put the files on an SD card or MemoryStick and put that in the Reader, and read them from the card. Or you can just plug the 505 into a USB port and transfer the files directly onto it like you would a USB drive.

Hopefully that will get you started. If you have other questions, just say so.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 01:07 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Do not forget that MS Reader format ebooks can be purchased (as long as you have Windows) and DRM stripped with ConvertLIT and then converted to LRF using lit2lrf (one of the converters in Libprs500). Once all the software is installed, it's a very easy process. So even if say Sony was to stop selling ebooks, you'd still have access to current content.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 03:52 PM   #5
Scarpad
Addict
Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Do not forget that MS Reader format ebooks can be purchased (as long as you have Windows) and DRM stripped with ConvertLIT and then converted to LRF using lit2lrf (one of the converters in Libprs500). Once all the software is installed, it's a very easy process. So even if say Sony was to stop selling ebooks, you'd still have access to current content.
Yeah and it works great too, I tried that for the First time last night bought a book from Simonsays.com and I had it converted in two licks. I don't have my reader yet (It's in the mail) but the converted file looked great on the sony Software, every bit as good as books I've purchased from Sony. I'll stick with .lit and convert as the prices are usually cheaper and I can use the file on my Dell Axim if I still wish to.
Scarpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2008, 11:32 AM   #6
rande5
rande5 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Sony Reader

I have read the above noted postings and feel a little bit of hope now. However, I AM NOT computer literate and would someone be willing to provide me a step by step on how to convert a bundle of books I purchased from ebooks? It was purchased in Microsoft Reader format. I have a Sony Reader PRS-505 and have NO IDEA on how to do this.
rande5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 12:18 PM   #7
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rande5 View Post
However, I AM NOT computer literate and would someone be willing to provide me a step by step on how to convert a bundle of books I purchased from ebooks? It was purchased in Microsoft Reader format. I have a Sony Reader PRS-505 and have NO IDEA on how to do this.
The short answer is ConvertLIT and lit2lrf. I suggest reading the thread: .lit conversion question.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 12:50 PM   #8
rande5

Still having issues . . .

Thank you for replying to my problem so quickly! But - I'm still having problems. I cannot get my book from Microsoft Reader to the Convertlit program or the libprs500! What in the world am I doing wrong?
Old 03-05-2008, 01:03 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
With ConvertLIT is a file called README.txt. Read it and you'll see what to do to remove the DRM. You will have to use the command line to setup ConvertLIT.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 01:52 PM   #10
rande5

Thank you! Please don't laugh, but it says I have to run readerkeyrecoverytool.exe. I went to Run on my start menu and tried it, but I think I'm wrong. How do I do this?
Old 03-05-2008, 02:38 PM   #11
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I'm afraid that's getting into the realm of specific instructions on removing DRM, which MobileRead doesn't support. So I'm afraid you and Google are on your own there.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 12:43 PM   #12
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Is there anything remotely similar for being able to read Kindle books on the Sony Reader?
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 01:03 PM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Is there anything remotely similar for being able to read Kindle books on the Sony Reader?
Yes, it's very easy to remove the DRM from Kindle books, and then convert from Mobi format to LRF (the Sony format). The problem (for most people) is that you can't buy Kindle books unless you own a Kindle!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 01:17 PM   #14
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
I wasn't aware of any workaround. How do I find info on this?

Next will be to see how I can purchase Kindle books.

taking one hurdle at a time
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 01:36 PM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Do a Google search for "MobiDeDrm". You're on your own after that.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote