Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-10-2012, 09:57 PM   #1
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
There are neither beginnings or endings to the turning of the Wheel of Time. But it w

An interesting (to me) article just popped up on MetaFilter about Robert Jordan and the Wheel of Time series.

I have the first 4 books of the series on my ever lengthening TBR pile and this article may just be what I need to push the series towards the top.

http://www.metafilter.com/113727/The...as-a-beginning
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 10:34 PM   #2
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
i like fantasy but i could never really get into this series, i think i only made it through 5 books. to me they became repetitive very quickly and started feeling very 'villain of the month', oh theres this bad guy that rand must defeat in this book. next book, another bad guy.

and nynaeve is possibly the most annoying character i've ever seen in fiction. she NEVER stops being a *itch and by the 1000th reference to her tugging her braid in annoyance i prayed it ripped out of her head.

maybe i'm just bitter towards "epics". there is no story on earth so epic that it needs 13,14 1000 page novels to tell. from what i've read of the series its not terrible, theres simply massive, massive amounts of filler. same with a song of ice and fire and any of these cash cow series, it isn't a problem experienced only by WoT.

Last edited by xg4bx; 03-10-2012 at 10:44 PM.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2012, 10:41 PM   #3
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Seems like a lot of people agree with you. Linked article has a *lot* of readers giving up midway through the series. Like I said, I've already got the first 4. I'll probably give it a good try this year. This is my year for epic fantasy.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 10:47 PM   #4
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
like i said, they're not terrible. just don't expect a lot of forward progression. and take a break between the books lol.

i made the mistake of reading GRRM's Game of Thrones and A Clash of Kings back to back and by the end i was begging for ACoK to be finished already. good books but again, forward progression is minimal. my tolerance for filler isn't as high as it used to be .
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 11:00 PM   #5
AndrewH
Fanatic
AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, & Kobo Mini
The first few books were great. I found myself losing focus somewhere around book 8. Book 10 was pretty much "Characters Show Up".

I agree with xg4bx regarding Nynaeve. After reading about her tugging on her braid ten thousand times I was hoping she'd rip her scalp off and bleed to death very slowly.
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2012, 12:46 AM   #6
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Thanks for posting this article. I once loved this series...started it when I was still in college and jeez, I'm over 50 now! I always meant to finish it once I knew it was really finished...I think the last book I read was the one that covered approximately 3 hours (or maybe it was 3 days, it's been a long time).

Last edited by FizzyWater; 03-11-2012 at 06:29 AM. Reason: noticed a typo
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 05:02 AM   #7
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
That's kind of how I feel, FizzyWater. I really enjoyed the first four or five books, but after that they seemed to get wider and shallower, until almost nothing was happening to a huge number of characters in each book.

I do have twelfth one on my Kindle, waiting, and I'd like to finish the series, but I'm in no great rush to jump back in until they're all done.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 08:21 AM   #8
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Cool There's loads to come.....

So that's Robert Jordan, George Martin, Scott Lynch...

I tell you, if they all get it wrong and actually finish them all, we'll definitely be in trouble - if we can still be bothered, or can still read....

And if they all finished 'em in the same month, say................
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:15 AM   #9
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
I am looking forward to the last book, having only started the series last year. I have enjoyed the ride. As many others have said, books 8,9 and 10 were really slow and none of the major plot lines moved towards any kind of resolution. Books 11 and 12 were much better and I haven't read 13 yet.

I could get through 8,9,10 just because I like the characters. The braid-tugging and exrtreme descriptions of every article of clothing that every person in the room is wearing did grow a bit annoying. I think Sanderson has done well dialing some of that back though.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:27 AM   #10
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
I dropped this book series some time ago I think that I wil realy need to get started once again from the start. I do not quite understand why I stopped.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:40 PM   #11
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
I do not quite understand why I stopped.
Having to wait two to three years between books?
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 02:23 PM   #12
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Negative since I only made it to book three. Perhaps it because of the shear size of the books. Since I am reading in electronic form these days the size of the novels are not really a problem.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 03:01 PM   #13
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
I'm not a fan of Jordan at all. I ignored GRR Martin's books for years because I thought it they would be overhyped meaningless fluff (which is what I felt about the Wheel of time past book 2 or so).

The story doesn't seem to go anywhere, the characters don't change a whole lot, and the descriptions of fights and such are terrible....i.e. "flowing swan defeats calm water" or whatever.

Traded them all in and I doubt I'll ever revisit them. I don't think I could tell you what happened past book 3 or so, and I've found talking with some friends, I'm not the only one.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 06:55 AM   #14
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by xg4bx View Post
and nynaeve is possibly the most annoying character i've ever seen in fiction. she NEVER stops being a *itch and by the 1000th reference to her tugging her braid in annoyance i prayed it ripped out of her head.
OMG I feel the same way. Perhaps that was the angle Jordan was wanting, readers to hate the characters not because they were good/evil but because of one repetitive action constantly through the books.

I'm currently (albeit slowly due to study requirements) going through book 13. I think up to book 6 it was great. 7-9 were good, had book 10 been book 1 or 2 I would have dropped the series. Book 11 finally got back into the story, 12 was a little better.

My biggest issue was the number of characters. Some new character will get introduced, detailed description, and never seen for 4 books who then returns. The return of the character is made worse by some names being so similar to other deeply described yet completely pointless people. Encyclopedia-Wot saved me a few times.

At times I start to wonder what the 'real' final epic battle is, Rand and the Dark One, or me actually finishing all 14 books
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 04:09 PM   #15
crash1211
crash1211 will become famous soon enoughcrash1211 will become famous soon enoughcrash1211 will become famous soon enoughcrash1211 will become famous soon enoughcrash1211 will become famous soon enoughcrash1211 will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-600, Entourage Edge, Nook Simple Touch, iPad2, Kindle 4
I agree with you. I got to the sixth book before I gave up. After the fourth book I just keep wishing he would just wrap up the series. I actually have started to respect authors that have the guts to end a series after 2 or three books. I was pretty impressed that Suzanne Collins ended the main story of the Hunger games at three.
crash1211 is offline   Reply With Quote