Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-01-2008, 03:26 PM   #76
gutenberger
gutenberger began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle
Thanks wallcraft, much appreciated! I'll keep a lookout and see if the one I just got has any updated images, etc. Thanks again!
gutenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 09:44 PM   #77
prism5225
prism5225 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
1. Attach the Kindle to a computer using the USB cord.
2. Using Windows Explorer (or whatever you use to see individual files/folders) , you should see a new drive called Kindle under My Computer. Go to that drive. (Or if you have an SD card in your Kindle, you can go to the SD drive.)
3. Create a new folder called “pictures” and a subfolder called “screensavers” under it. Make sure both folder names are all lowercase.
4. Copy your image files into the screensavers folder. Your pictures should be 600×800 pixels and black & white. I’ve only used .jpg files. [[Note: I've used .png files as well]]
5. After copying is complete & it is safe, remove the Kindle from the USB connection.
6. Go to your Home menu and press alt-z... this part is not working for me... what can i do???. This will create a new book called “screensavers” . Open it. You’ll see each of your pictures. You can advance through them with the prev. page and next page buttons. [[Note: The new book will appear at the END of your book list]]
7. While viewing your pictures, look at the bottom of the Kindle screen. If you see your battery indicator & Menu prompt, press alt-F to go into Full Screen mode.
8. On each photo, press alt-shift-0 (i.e., alt-shift-zero) . After a brief delay, you’ll get a message that your picture has been exported as screensaver. Click Close on the message.
9. Navigate to each of the pictures you want to use and repeat the above step.
10. When you’ve got all your pictures loaded, test them by going into & out of sleep mode. Alt-aA (i.e., alt-font size button) puts it to sleep & wakes it up again. Each time it sleeps, it should use a different image. If you see the same image all the time, relook at Step 3.

If you want to get rid of your custom screen savers, follow these steps:

1. Attach the Kindle to a computer using the USB cord.
2. Using Windows Explorer (or whatever you use to see individual files/folders) , go to your Kindle drive under My Computer.
3. If you see a folder called system, skip this step. If you don’t see the system folder, click on the Tools menu & then Folder Options. Go to the View tab, and look at the Advanced Settings. Under Hidden Files and Folders, select Show Hidden Files and Folders. Click Apply, then OK. You should now see a system folder.
4. Under the system folder, you’ll see a screen_saver folder. Delete all the files that are in that folder.
5. After you disconnect from the USB, you may see your last custom screensaver one more time, but after that it will revert back to the pre-loaded Kindle screensaver images.[/QUOTE]
prism5225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 05:32 PM   #78
schulzmc
Zealot
schulzmc doesn't litterschulzmc doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
Looks like we need some new instructions - this won't work on my new Kindle 2!
schulzmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 09:37 PM   #79
Shyriath
The Power of Cheese
Shyriath began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
It's a pity... I'd been looking forward to trying do my own bookplate sort of thing as a screensaver.
Shyriath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 06:27 PM   #80
Sue Z Q
Sue Z Q began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
Everything worked for my kindle 2 except where we had to press Alt shift and Zero, once i had the pics loaded under screensaver. That is where it froze and now i can't enter the screensaver file. Help
Sue Z Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 06:36 PM   #81
stevenmoy
Zealot
stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue Z Q View Post
Everything worked for my kindle 2 except where we had to press Alt shift and Zero, once i had the pics loaded under screensaver. That is where it froze and now i can't enter the screensaver file. Help
There is currently way to have your own screensaver for Kindle 2. If your device gets stuck, slide the power slider to the other hand for 14 sec. then slide it once more quickly to power it back on. Until further update from users, probably want to stay away from this undocumented/hidden/trick for K2.
stevenmoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 08:05 PM   #82
KCB
KCB began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 1 and 2
I cannot even get my pictures to make a book.. any idea what I am doing wrong? I did it on my K1, so I know "how" to do it, followed directions above, still not showing a book of my images. Help.. not sure why some people's Alt-Z works , some don't.
KCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 02:19 AM   #83
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
KCB:

1. Create a pictures folder in the root of the Kindle 2 USB.
2. Create a folder under that called whatever you want; i.e. My Pictures.
3. Copy the images into My Pictures.
4. Disconnect your Kindle 2.
5. Press Alt-Z on your Kindle 2.
6. If you still don't see My Pictures listed as a book under Books, try rebooting your Kindle 2.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 05:33 PM   #84
KCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
KCB:

1. Create a pictures folder in the root of the Kindle 2 USB.
2. Create a folder under that called whatever you want; i.e. My Pictures.
3. Copy the images into My Pictures.
4. Disconnect your Kindle 2.
5. Press Alt-Z on your Kindle 2.
6. If you still don't see My Pictures listed as a book under Books, try rebooting your Kindle 2.
ok so maybe I am not putting it in the root.. can you explain exactly where that would be? I have some computer knowledge, so can you point me in the right direction.. please!
Old 03-04-2009, 05:42 PM   #85
stevenmoy
Zealot
stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

<USB Volume that is Kindle, maybe your D: or F:>
|---> documents
|---> music
|---> pictures
|------> SAMPLE_PICTURES
|---> a.jpg
|---> b.jpg
Old 03-04-2009, 05:56 PM   #86
KCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenmoy View Post
<USB Volume that is Kindle, maybe your D: or F:>
|---> documents
|---> music
|---> pictures
|------> SAMPLE_PICTURES
|---> a.jpg
|---> b.jpg
well then I do have it in the right spot.. it still won't do anything after alt-z.. I even did a restart, etc. sigh. something's gotta give :P
Old 03-04-2009, 05:59 PM   #87
stevenmoy
Zealot

my ascii art didn't quite turn out the way i want,

a.jpg and b.jpg should be inside sample_pictures directory and the sample_pictures directory should be inside the picture directory.
Old 03-04-2009, 06:03 PM   #88
KCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenmoy View Post
my ascii art didn't quite turn out the way i want,

a.jpg and b.jpg should be inside sample_pictures directory and the sample_pictures directory should be inside the picture directory.
geeze o lou! I finally got it to work.. I have no idea what I did differently but its there now.. thanks for the patience
Old 03-05-2009, 02:33 AM   #89
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCB View Post
well then I do have it in the right spot.. it still won't do anything after alt-z.. I even did a restart, etc. sigh. something's gotta give :P
Try changing the name of your pictures "book" to something plain and simple.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 07:59 PM   #90
chilady1
I devour books!
chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, Kindle 3/Kobo Aura HD, iPhone 6
Please keep the great screen saver shots coming
chilady1 is offline   Reply With Quote