Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-28-2012, 01:12 AM   #16
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venus View Post
Saw it last night. I couldn't get past how short he looked as Reacher. The movie was ok. Like a previous poster pointed out, it's more about him beating up younger and bigger guys and not about the character Reacher.
Ah well, no surprise I guess. Will give it a miss.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:00 AM   #17
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
I saw the movie yesterday and thought it was good. I have read all of the Reacher novels but I didn't go to watch the movie with any expectation other than to be entertained. My only disappointment was that they changed the location of the final shootout. I think the book's version was better. The movie was not as good as Skyfall, the new James Bond movie, but it was good (not great, just good). I thought Cruise did a good job.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:31 AM   #18
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
My only real problem with Tom Cruise as Reacher is one of proportion. I envision Jack Reacher as a fairly tall fellow, probably around 6' 4", like Superman. Cruise is 5' 7". It's hard to picture a fellow who's only 5' 7" as being the baddest bloke on the block.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:06 AM   #19
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
My only real problem with Tom Cruise as Reacher is one of proportion. I envision Jack Reacher as a fairly tall fellow, probably around 6' 4", like Superman. Cruise is 5' 7". It's hard to picture a fellow who's only 5' 7" as being the baddest bloke on the block.
Bruce Lee was only 5' 7".
Of course Tom Cruise is no Bruce Lee.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:15 PM   #20
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
I am a big guy myself, but I don't kid myself about my fighting abilities. I am not the best. In a bar, well ok, but against the best, no, no and no.

BUT I have known and transported the best fighters in the world. I have put them down for missions, I have picked them up, and I have in the old days backed them up with firepower.

Height is not a true measure of lethalness. Nor is weight.
That is not to say height and weight don't count, but quickness, skill and brains count as much.

Besides they will photograph the movie to make Tom Cruise bigger just like they do with many of the movie stars.

I think I have this right. Humphrey Bogart was a little guy, but they photographed him to look big. Then one day they wanted him to run in a scene and had the cameras set up, and said "go." He was like scat, gone! The camera couldn't keep up. They said do it again, but run slow please.

I don't like Cruise's religion and his sometimes craziness, but his acting, and his women are top notch.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:23 PM   #21
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Bruce Lee was only 5' 7".
Of course Tom Cruise is no Bruce Lee.
Apache
But like you imply; Bruce Lee was Bruce Lee.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:39 PM   #22
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
...Besides they will photograph the movie to make Tom Cruise bigger just like they do with many of the movie stars.....
I only hope so. The least they could have done is cast a romantic interest who didn't tower over him. There's nothing wrong with a guy the size of Tom Cruise playing a tough; but Reacher's described in the books as being 6' 5" tall with a 50-inch chest and weighing over 200 pounds. Tom Cruise isn't the first person that description brings to mind.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tom-Cruise-and-Rosamund-Pike-in-Jack-Reacher.jpg
Views:	496
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	98416   Click image for larger version

Name:	628x471.jpg
Views:	1102
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	98417  
Old 12-29-2012, 12:58 PM   #23
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It is obvious that many here never saw the movie, "Legend."

The "Dark Lord" in that movie must have been 8 or 9 feet tall, and had really long bull horns, and was really pumped up on "hellish" steroids and mincemeat human pies and Tom, still a kid really, put him away.

Last edited by SeaKing; 12-29-2012 at 01:10 PM.
Old 12-29-2012, 01:52 PM   #24
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Besides they will photograph the movie to make Tom Cruise bigger just like they do with many of the movie stars.
It worked for "The Hobbit", so they could do the same here.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 01:58 PM   #25
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
I am a big guy myself, but I don't kid myself about my fighting abilities. I am not the best. In a bar, well ok, but against the best, no, no and no.

BUT I have known and transported the best fighters in the world. I have put them down for missions, I have picked them up, and I have in the old days backed them up with firepower.

Height is not a true measure of lethalness. Nor is weight.
That is not to say height and weight don't count, but quickness, skill and brains count as much.

I think I have this right. Humphrey Bogart was a little guy, but they photographed him to look big. Then one day they wanted him to run in a scene and had the cameras set up, and said "go." He was like scat, gone! The camera couldn't keep up. They said do it again, but run slow please.

I don't like Cruise's religion and his sometimes craziness, but his acting, and his women are top notch.
In a fight, all things being equal, size and or height counts. But as we know, equality rarely happens in a fight.
Also remember, when throwing punches and kicks, speed equals power. Bruce Lee's power came from the speed of his punches not the strength of his arms and torso.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 04:46 PM   #26
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
I should point out that the desk sergeant in the first thumbnail posted by WT Sharpe is Lee Childs, in a cameo.

FWIW, Childs actually is 6'5".
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 05:03 PM   #27
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. View Post
I should point out that the desk sergeant in the first thumbnail posted by WT Sharpe is Lee Childs, in a cameo.

FWIW, Childs actually is 6'5".
Cool! Didn't know that. I'll bet I know just what he's thinking in that scene, though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tom_Cruise-Lee_Childs_cameo.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	98450  
Old 12-30-2012, 06:40 AM   #28
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I only hope so. The least they could have done is cast a romantic interest who didn't tower over him.
Sorry to disappoint but there was no romantic interest in the movie. No kiss, no bed, just at the end some eye contact.

As regards fighting and size, I wonder how many bar brawlers would stand much of a chance against, say, a Navy Seal. In the book and the movie, Reacher fights bar brawlers, not sophisticated or trained fighters.

I suspect Jackie Chan, Bruce Lee, or Jet Li could have easily beaten Refrigerator Perry or even The Rock even in their prime. I think too much emphasis is being placed on size and too little on whether the tale is decently told.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:41 AM   #29
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding

Quote:
Cool! Didn't know that. I'll bet I know just what he's thinking in that scene, though.
Lee Child has constantly given favorable statements and defended the choice of Cruise, so if he is thinking anything, it is likely to do with Rosamunde.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:19 AM   #30
SeaKing
Frequent Flier

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
Sorry to disappoint but there was no romantic interest in the movie. No kiss, no bed, just at the end some eye contact.

As regards fighting and size, I wonder how many bar brawlers would stand much of a chance against, say, a Navy Seal. In the book and the movie, Reacher fights bar brawlers, not sophisticated or trained fighters.

I suspect Jackie Chan, Bruce Lee, or Jet Li could have easily beaten Refrigerator Perry or even The Rock even in their prime. I think too much emphasis is being placed on size and too little on whether the tale is decently told.
Like I said earlier, I have no wish to compare myself to Seals or Delta but "bar brawlers" are different. Especially if they got a few under their belt already. A word to the wise. If you are going to brawl with someone, buy him a few rounds first. It makes a heck of a difference.