Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old Yesterday, 04:55 PM   #886
CRussel
Wizard
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Fire HDX 8.9, Fire HD8.9, Fire 7HD, Surface 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
I'm also reading the first (in pub order) of the Recluse series, The Magic of Recluse, by L.E. Modisett. Read by Kirby Heyborne. This will be a slow read, since I'm restricting myself to reading while I swim.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Finished off Like a Mighty Army, and thought it somewhat better than the last couple in the series. Still working on the Modisett, but for the car and around the house, I'm now reading the first of the Lord Peter Wimsey novels by Dorothy L. Sayers, Whose Body, read superbly by Nadia May. What a delight this book is. This is hardly the first time I've read it, and I know what happens, but that's really the least important part of the book. I'm going to spend the summer re-reading all the Sayers books, I think.
Still reading the Recluse book while I swim, and reading Sword Singer, #2 in the Tiger&Del series from Jennifer Roberson, and read by Stephen Bel Davies. This isn't a compelling series, it really would be better as a book for jogging, but for now it's my in-car read while I'm commuting. It'll do, but it's not compelling.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:01 PM   #887
WT Sharpe
Grand Muckity-Muck
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad Air, iPod Nano. Other devices gathering dust.
I'm listening to The Canterbury Tales by Geoffrey Chaucer on my iPad. This is yet another of the Blackstone apps for iPhone that started its life as a Blackstone audiobook. The 1934 translation into modern English by J.U. Nicolson is excellent, and greatly helps to avoid confusion by translating such phrases as "False coward, wreak* thy wife" into something a bit more understandable (and appropriate).

* avenge
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:42 PM   #888
DuaneAA
Connoisseur
DuaneAA juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseDuaneAA juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseDuaneAA juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseDuaneAA juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseDuaneAA juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseDuaneAA juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseDuaneAA juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseDuaneAA juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseDuaneAA juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseDuaneAA juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseDuaneAA juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 & Kindle Fire HDX
I just finished listening to: Red Moon Rising: Sputnik and the Hidden Rivals That Ignited the Space Age by Matthew Brzezinski. I picked it up when it was one of Audible's Daily Specials a few weeks ago.

A very interesting non-fiction book covering the period from the end of WWII when the Americans and Russians were racing to acquire Nazi scientists and hardware through the launch of the first two Russian Sputniks and ends with the launch of the first American satellite. I have read several books that focused on the 1960s manned era but never one that focused on this earlier period. Although the title implies it is primarily about the Russian efforts, the book actually gives about equal time to the Russians and the Americans. It not only delves into the science and engineering aspects, but also addresses how politics impacted things and how these things in turn impacted politics.

I enjoyed this book a lot and feel like I learned some new details I never knew. If you are interested in this early period of the space program, I would highly recommend it.

Duane
DuaneAA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audible, audiobooks, recommendations