Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-01-2007, 08:08 AM   #1
Moadib
Moadib began at the beginning.

Web pages to Reader?

Having searched the site quite extensively I can't find a specific answer to this, so apologies if I'm asking a question which is covered elsewhere.

I use Google Reader and Google browser-sync to keep up with quite a few news sites, blogs, articles etc. When I see something long I want to spend some time with, I will "star" it in Google Reader to come back to later. I also have a folder on my Firefox toolbar called "later", where I bookmark webpages that I want to read (these are then shared from work PC to home computer via browser-sync).

This works well, and I can catch up wherever I happen to be, but I'm looking for a way to easily dump these longer articles to the Reader. It seems highly possible to have a button on the toolbar which dumps the current webpage to a PDF formatted for the Reader (and ideally saves them somewhere they will be automatically uploaded, or onto an SD ard), but I can't work out how to do it.

I installed primoPDF which allows me to print, but paper size seems wrong (text is clustered into the centre with huge margins).

Could anyone suggest an avenue of investigation for me - how I go about setting something like this up? Is "print to PDF" my best option (it seems so), or other suggestions? I run through articles quite a bit (maybe four or five a day I want to read in detail), so I'm trying to set up a process that is not labour-intensive, and very straightforward to do - sort of "one click" type of affair.

Many thanks
John
Moadib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 11:04 AM   #2
sammykrupa
Reader of the Reader
sammykrupa doesn't littersammykrupa doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
I have been testing flatLRF:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3056

flatLRF creates LRF files of webpages that are supposedly Sony Reader-compatible, but I have not been able to get it to work yet and my Sony Reader just broke, so there you have it (-:
sammykrupa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2007, 11:06 PM   #3
tritone
tritone began at the beginning.

I experimented with doing this very thing last night, and came up with a workable solution through Microsoft Word on ny WinXP computer. Here's what I do:

1. If your web page has a "printer friendly" button click it to get a web page minus all the ads and extra marginal junk. I use Internet explorer.

2. Go to File->Save As... then name the file and change the file type to "Web Page, Complete (*.html) and Save. I save to the Desktop so it's easy to find.

3. On your Desktop right-click the html file you saved and choose Open With... and chose Microsoft Word. This will open the file in Word and you can remove anything you don't like, but usually "printer friendly" pages are ready to go with no extra editing necessary.

4. Go to File->Properties and populate the Title and Author fields. These will show up in the Sony Reader (the filename is ignored).

5. Go to File->Save As... and change the filetype to "Microsoft Word (*.doc)" and Save.

Now you can drag this DOC file from your Desktop (or wherever you saved it) to your Sony Reader using the Sony CONNECT program. The Reader will convert the DOC to an RTF on-the-fly, and you can select all 3 font sizes with your document. By the way, the desktop is on C:\Documents and Settings\yourname\Desktop. You may want to save everything to a shorter filepath.

I have all but given up on PDF files. The PDF format is very inflexible on the Reader. The Reader will not zoom in on the page, nor increase the font size on PDF files, so it's not worth going with PDF until Sony gives us more options here, in my opinion.
tritone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 01:43 AM   #4
geekraver
Addict
geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini,Kindle Paperwhite
With not too much effort you can use rss2book to turn regular web pages into PDFs or RTFs for the reader (see the Dilbert, Wikipedia and Gutenberg feeds as examples)
geekraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 06:21 PM   #5
Moadib

Wow, maybe just me, but "not too much effort" seems not so likely - I spent quite a while tonight pasting web pages in (standard versions, printable versions), and sooooo many un-understandable error messages.

I would have thought a web-page would be straightforward, but seems so many options. It would take a long time to do several times per day. I'll persevere, but so far rss2book is a tricky program. At the moment it seems like - I like a web page, "print to PDF on an SD card" should be an easy solution - just plug in the card and read. But quite tough to set up.

This brave new world takes more time than it saves :-)
Advert
Old 01-04-2007, 08:15 PM   #6
Gameboy70
Connoisseur
Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, 3rd Gen iPad
The easiest tool for saving web pages is Toolbar for Librie. Despite the major drawbacks of requiring IE and having a Japanese UI (be sure to read the Little Guide on How to Use It, it's a one-click solution for html-to-lrf conversion. It's much more efficient than taking the intermediate step of printing to PDF.

The best tool for PDF conversions is PDFrasterFarian, which converts PDFs to lrf, adjusting for the Reader's poor font rendering of rescaled Letter Size PDFs.
Gameboy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 11:52 AM   #7
SoCal Bob
Connoisseur
SoCal Bob began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader, iLiad, Palm Tungsten T3
Here is my process, takes about a minute per article:
1. I select and copy all of the information on the web page (for multiple pages repeat steps 1 & 2)
2. I paste the data on to a Word page that I have created a template for "Sony Reader" which is formatted to the Reader size with 0.2" boarders.
3. I Select All (Ctrl-A) and then up-shift all text (Ctrl-Shift +<) until the text body is to my liking (20pt in my case).
4. Print to PDF with the following settings:
- Smallest File Size
- Page Size: Sony Reader (I have predefined the size)
5. Open the "Printed" PDF and paste the Title & Author info into Properties, and Save.

This is the result I get
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Havana The isle is full of noises.pdf (122.5 KB, 375 views)
SoCal Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 04:53 PM   #8
Moadib

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal Bob
Here is my process, takes about a minute per article:
1. I select and copy all of the information on the web page (for multiple pages repeat steps 1 & 2)
2. I paste the data on to a Word page that I have created a template for "Sony Reader" which is formatted to the Reader size with 0.2" boarders.
3. I Select All (Ctrl-A) and then up-shift all text (Ctrl-Shift +<) until the text body is to my liking (20pt in my case).
4. Print to PDF with the following settings:
- Smallest File Size
- Page Size: Sony Reader (I have predefined the size)
5. Open the "Printed" PDF and paste the Title & Author info into Properties, and Save.

This is the result I get
Can I ask how you predefine the PDF page size for your PDF printer? What PDF printer do you use?

Thanks
Old 01-05-2007, 05:49 PM   #9
AndyQ
Enthusiast
AndyQ began at the beginning.

BBeB Binder can now do it - as long as the page doesn't contain CSS/Frames.

You'll have to build it from source (currently as we haven't done a formal release yet - but hopefully soon).

However, most web pages don't convert easily to text but I'm starting to look at converting the displayed page to images and creating a book from them.

Edit

An example of a converted page using images can be found attached

Its not very exciting - just the front page of the forums

Currently, I just take a snapshop of the page, resize it to 600 width and then split it into 750 height chunks.

My next step is to allow the user to be able split the page image themselves.
Attached Files
File Type: zip test.zip (225.4 KB, 326 views)

Last edited by AndyQ; 01-06-2007 at 02:00 PM.
AndyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 02:39 PM   #10
AndyQ
Enthusiast
AndyQ began at the beginning.

Also should mention that its much more readable if you switch to Landscape mode.
AndyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 12:56 PM   #11
SoCal Bob
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moadib
Can I ask how you predefine the PDF page size for your PDF printer? What PDF printer do you use?

Thanks
Create a new form in Print Server Properties. (To configure printer settings, click Printer and Faxes in Control Panel and select the printer) In Print Server Properties, on the "Forms" tab select " Create a new form" and define the page as 5.24 in Width and 6.69 in Height with 0 for all margins.

I use Adobe Acrobat 7.0
Old 01-08-2007, 03:32 PM   #12
Moadib

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal Bob
Create a new form in Print Server Properties. (To configure printer settings, click Printer and Faxes in Control Panel and select the printer) In Print Server Properties, on the "Forms" tab select " Create a new form" and define the page as 5.24 in Width and 6.69 in Height with 0 for all margins.

I use Adobe Acrobat 7.0
This seems to be my problem. I looked at home, and also on the PC at work (which has Adobe Acrobat and PDF printer), and I couldn't see a "Print Server Properties" or "Forms" on either of those. Is those only on particular installs of XP, or somewhere else to look?

Many thanks for your help!
Old 01-08-2007, 04:00 PM   #13
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Moadib you need the full Acrobat version not Acrobat Reader. The pdf printer is just like using the "Print to file" command.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 03:24 AM   #14
geekraver
Addict
geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini,Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Wow, maybe just me, but "not too much effort" seems not so likely - I spent quite a while tonight pasting web pages in (standard versions, printable versions), and sooooo many un-understandable error messages.

I would have thought a web-page would be straightforward, but seems so many options. It would take a long time to do several times per day. I'll persevere, but so far rss2book is a tricky program. At the moment it seems like - I like a web page, "print to PDF on an SD card" should be an easy solution - just plug in the card and read. But quite tough to set up.

This brave new world takes more time than it saves :-)
I'd be interested in some of the sites you used. I'm constantly improving rss2book, but do so somewhat in a vacuum; its good to get feedback from others when it *doesn't* work for them as then I can try address those cases. I expect release 20 will have much better support for wikipedia and Gutenberg built-in, but if there are other sites that are popular that need better support it would be great to hear about them.
geekraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 11:42 AM   #15
SoCal Bob
Connoisseur

Quote:
This seems to be my problem. I looked at home, and also on the PC at work (which has Adobe Acrobat and PDF printer), and I couldn't see a "Print Server Properties" or "Forms" on either of those. Is those only on particular installs of XP, or somewhere else to look?

Many thanks for your help!
Open "Printers and Faxes" from Control Panel
Pull down the "File" menu
"Server Properties" is one of the selections, click it
You get the form below and fill it out as indicated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Printer View.jpg
Views:	422
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	2625