Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-28-2010, 07:05 AM   #1
flyash
Groupie
flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Weight/balance of Nook and one-handed reading

Does anyone find the Nook's balance to be sub-optimal for one-handed reading?

I've used both a Sony 600 and the Nook, and while the weight differential is not great (both with covers) (the Nook feels only slightly heavier), the weight distribution of the Sony makes it much easier to hold for extended one-hand reading. I suspect it is because the Nook is a few inches longer, providing a longer lever arm.
flyash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 09:42 AM   #2
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
I have mine in a cover and I have no problems at all and I have to read one handed almost every morning on my way into work on the subway. Before I had the cover I found it most comfortable to alllow the concave edge be in the palm of my hand and my four fingers around the back. quite comfortable.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2010, 10:44 AM   #3
Fincary
Fincary began at the beginning.

Device: Ebookwise-1150; Astak EZ Reader Pocket Pro; Nook
I'm pretty new to the Nook, but I also find it a bit uncomfortable for one-hand reading. I too think it is the length of the reader along with how thin it is that causes the problem for me, not the weight. If the page forward/back buttons were swapped around so I could hold the Nook further up the side, I think it would be much better.

That said, I've found that if I keep it in the case when I read, it is a little heavier, but much more comfortable to hold due to the bulk of the case in my hand.
Fincary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 12:27 PM   #4
Sylver
Addict
Sylver began at the beginning.

Device: The Nook, iPad
as much as I love the nook, I can't image holding this guy one handed for any longer than 5 minutes - it's heavy and it's big and my hands are pretty big. For comparison, Astak EZ Reader PocketPro is a good device for one-handed reading although the screen is not as good as the nook.
Sylver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 04:41 PM   #5
philburkhardt
philburkhardt began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
I have mine in a cover and I have no problems at all and I have to read one handed almost every morning on my way into work on the subway. Before I had the cover I found it most comfortable to alllow the concave edge be in the palm of my hand and my four fingers around the back. quite comfortable.
I concur. I could see how it would be uncomfortable on its own, but having it in a cover makes it much better. I read my nook one handed about 75% of the time, and I think its just right.
philburkhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2010, 08:09 PM   #6
_CL
_CL began at the beginning.

I don't find it to be a problem. And I do find it to be much easier that reading a real book one handed.

My most common holding pattern is to use my left hand near the bottom of the nook. I place my thumb on the divider between the e-ink screen and the color screen. (I place it to the left of the nook symbol so that I don't accidentally turn on the color screen.) I use my right hand to turn pages.

I don't have a cover, so I read it naked. I do keep it in a JAVOedge sleeve when I am not reading it.
_CL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 09:07 PM   #7
JazzFlight
Super Furry Animal
JazzFlight began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, nook wifi
I softrooted my Wifi nook and manually edited the hardware config file so I could swap the button functions. Now the top arrow buttons are "page forward" and the bottom ones are "page back." It was just too awkward holding the nook at the corner so that your thumb rested on the bottom key. It's much more natural and balanced holding it at the center with your thumb over the top key.
JazzFlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 10:45 PM   #8
flyash
Groupie
flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzFlight View Post
I softrooted my Wifi nook and manually edited the hardware config file so I could swap the button functions. Now the top arrow buttons are "page forward" and the bottom ones are "page back." It was just too awkward holding the nook at the corner so that your thumb rested on the bottom key. It's much more natural and balanced holding it at the center with your thumb over the top key.
Good idea. This shortens the lever arm created by grasping the Nook low enough to rest one's thumb on the bottom button. Yet another reason to softroot the Nook.
Old 06-29-2010, 01:15 PM   #9
ThomasMc
Disgusted with LDBoblo
ThomasMc doesn't litterThomasMc doesn't litter

swipe the middle bar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by _CL View Post
My most common holding pattern is to use my left hand near the bottom of the nook. I place my thumb on the divider between the e-ink screen and the color screen. (I place it to the left of the nook symbol so that I don't accidentally turn on the color screen.) I use my right hand to turn pages.
I read somewhere else on here that you can "swipe" the divider (just like the bottom screen) to turn pages. It sounds like you have your thumb there ready to swipe.

I ordered mine last week, and haven't received it yet, so I can't say from experience.
ThomasMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 01:48 PM   #10
Gatton
Groupie
Gatton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gatton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gatton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gatton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2021, assorted Fire tablets.
I wasn't planning to softroot my nook anytime soon since I just got it a couple of days ago. But the placement of the page turn buttons is maddening to me so I plan to do it just for this.

Also I haven't tried the finger swipe on the touchscreen for page turning but I can see this being problematic. The sensitivity of the touchscreen seems fairly low so not sure how well that would work. I think once I have swapped the buttons I'll find holding it much more comfortable.
Gatton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 02:15 PM   #11
flyash
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatton View Post
Also I haven't tried the finger swipe on the touchscreen for page turning but I can see this being problematic. The sensitivity of the touchscreen seems fairly low so not sure how well that would work.
Actually, for page turns, the touchscreen is very sensitive.
Old 06-29-2010, 07:41 PM   #12
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
I agree that one-handed use of the Nook is difficult. I'm considering the soft root to switch the buttons, but I've been pretty happy using the Nook in an easel style case, and using the touchscreen to page turn.

It's funny (to me) that you find the Sony PRS-600 more one-hand friendly. I used the PRS-700, which has a similar design/weight, and I found it MORE uncomfortable for one-hand than the nook - the bottom buttons dug into my fingers, and holding it from the bottom made it top heavy. I tried to one-hand and use my thumb on the touchscreen, but couldn't quite master it without feeling like the 700 was insecure.

The PRS-300 is very one-hand friendly.

It's a good thing there are lots of hardware designs. That is my fear with e-Ink market consolidating - we'll have less hardware choices. It already stinks have no pricing options anymore.
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 07:06 AM   #13
bthoven
Evangelist
bthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I usually hold my Nook like this when I need to use one hand on the train. It's very sturdy, comfortable, and convenient to page down and up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Nook_onehand_holding.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	54312  
bthoven is offline   Reply With Quote