Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 05-12-2010, 09:55 AM   #1
lisajjb
Enthusiast
lisajjb began at the beginning.

Device: Aluratek Libre, Nook Color, Samsung Galaxy 10"
Buy e-books from B&N?

Sorry if this has been covered, please give me a link if it has...

I have a Libre on its way to me. I have read several different reviews where some say you can buy books from B&N and some say you can't. Which is it?
lisajjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 08:24 PM   #2
linuxbz
linuxbz began at the beginning.

Device: Jetbook Lite
I recently got a Jetbook-Lite, and tried to download a few books from B&N. Fortunately, B&N has just changed from the .pdb format to an .epub format. Unfortunately, the .epub format has DRM and the JBL cannot (right now, at least) decode it. I understand it DID work with the .pdb.

So unless your Libre can read the DRM'd .epub files, or unless you find a way to crack the DRM, B&N is out ... at least for now.
linuxbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2010, 08:35 AM   #3
hoosier
hoosier began at the beginning.

Device: still deciding
I think the Libre has different software than the JBL, so just because it doesn't work on the JBL doesn't necissarily mean that it will or won't work on the Libre. My wife now has a nook, and I have a Libre. So far we've had luck purchasing from the sony store and reading the same book on both. She has yet to purchase from B&N though. I'll report back when she does. fwiw, I did download a free book sample from B&N, and was able to read it on my Libre, although the margins were really wide and i'm not sure I'd want to read a whole book that way (5" screen is small enough as-is, who needs a wide margin too?)....I'll post again after I've had a chance to experiment a bit with b&n bought books
hoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 10:00 AM   #4
lisajjb
Enthusiast
lisajjb began at the beginning.

Device: Aluratek Libre, Nook Color, Samsung Galaxy 10"
Thanks. I downloaded a sample book from B&N and was able to read it just fine. So I took the chance and bought it (since it was $7 compared to $14 on ebooks & ebookstoresony). But the purchased book says "failed to open file". Lesson learned.

BTW, before I purchased the Libre I checked 15-20 of my favorite titles from B&N, Amazon, ebooks & sony and they were almost all exactly the same price except for one or two were cheaper at B&N. My main concern in choosing an ereader was the titles being available of what I wanted to read. Then my second concern was the price of the e-reader.

The Sony bookstore has a better selection than ebooks so I was hoping I would be able to purchase from them. I guess I will go try that. I did notice the large margins on the sample books I viewed, it was a little better when I rotated the screen.
lisajjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 11:44 AM   #5
X read X
Banned
X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook, iPhone 4, Jetbook Color.
Wait so the B&N website only sells Secure .epub now?

If that's the case i think fictionwise (a B&N company) still has .pdb and they call it "Secure eReader"

Does anyone know about this?
X read X is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2010, 12:01 PM   #6
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
It is still a mess, I bought the #11 and #12 of the Dresden series from B&N and got
them with PDB eReader DRM. Now when I download them from my B&N Library they
are EPUB files not the PDB files I originally purchased.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 12:03 PM   #7
DJHARKAVY
Addict
DJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Blackberry, jetbook lite
Barnes and Noble uses both their own version of DRM'ed epub (using the credit card as a key) and eReader pdb (using the credit card as a key.)

The Jetbook Lite can read ereader, but not the secure epub, although they are theoretically working on it.

Programs exist to remove DRM from both, so that you can use them on any eReader.
DJHARKAVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 12:23 PM   #8
jlg432
Addict
jlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: jetBook, ALP, Pandigital 7"Color(Black+ White), Kyros MID7015a
This is a Aluratek Libra Pro we are talking about and I know that the Libre supports DRM ePub in the Adobe Digital Edition style.

B & N has started to provide DRM ePub for their books. I just don't know if it is compatible to ADE ePub. They also continue to provide the pdb drm format which cannot be read by the Libre. So make sure you download the right format.

I guess this could be tested with a sample book either - one of the free offerings or downloading a free preview (usually 1 - 2 chapters).

As I do not have a Libre anymore I cannot test B & N's ePub format.

I could try and see if my DRM removal procedure would work against a free book.

Note: even though some books are offered as free ($ wise) they still may have DRM applied. This happened to me I believe with "Fictionwise" selection.

John

Last edited by jlg432; 05-13-2010 at 12:27 PM.
jlg432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 12:26 PM   #9
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlg432 View Post
B & N has started to provide DRM ePub for their books. I just don't know if it is compatible to ADE ePub.
B&N's ePub DRM isn't compatible with devices that use Adobe's standard Adept DRM (except for the Nook which works with both). In the future that may change as Adobe is adding B&N's method too it's ADE products eventually, but then it'll be up to device manufacturers to offer an updated firmware.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 07:08 PM   #10
causticmuse
Binge Reader
causticmuse doesn't littercausticmuse doesn't litter

Device: Treo 650, JetBook Lite, Asus eeePC 900a (Linux), Palm Pre
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJHARKAVY View Post
Barnes and Noble uses both their own version of DRM'ed epub (using the credit card as a key) and eReader pdb (using the credit card as a key.)

The Jetbook Lite can read ereader, but not the secure epub, although they are theoretically working on it.

Programs exist to remove DRM from both, so that you can use them on any eReader.
This is what I wound up having to do after buying a secure ebook from B&N expecting it to be secure eReader, and winding up with their proprietary secure ePub instead. It works fine on my JBL now.
causticmuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 08:08 PM   #11
aagstn
Evangelist
aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, iPad mini 2
This is my first step with every purchase now. Buy it and then actually own it by getting rid of the DRM.
aagstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 03:41 PM   #12
rynogeny
rynogeny began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by causticmuse View Post
This is what I wound up having to do after buying a secure ebook from B&N expecting it to be secure eReader, and winding up with their proprietary secure ePub instead. It works fine on my JBL now.
This is my first post on this forum, and if someone could point me in the right direction, I'd be grateful.

I was hit by the BN.com thing today -- I bought $40 worth of books from them this week expecting them to be in Secure eReader format, and they're not. I'm feeling like I've just made a charity donation to BN, because I have no interest in reading them on my PC. (I use an aging Windows Mobile PDA as an ebook reader.) I'm still floored that they don't indicate anywhere -- even in their FAQ -- that they've changed formats.

I know there are ways to strip the DRM so I can convert these files, and actually downloaded some Python scripts that look like they'll do the trick and then hit a snag. I've got a bit of tech background (beginning VB programming) but no real scripting experience. (I get an error message saying it can't locate the B&N Reader Installation, and I'm not sure what it's looking for.)

If someone could point me to a guide of some kind, I'd be forever grateful. Really. All I want is to be able to read the books I just bought... (the last ones I'll ever buy from BN.com, obviously. Their Customer Service rep told me they expect customers to only buy books for devices on their supported devices list, and to check that list every single time they buy a book. Um, yeah. Oh, and he also said that some books will still download as secure ereader files, but there's no way of knowing whether they will or not prior to the purchase.)
rynogeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 04:01 PM   #13
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
It is looking for the free B&N Reader software that you would install to read the files
you have purchased, on your PC. The script needs to read some of the information
that the B&N Reader program generates when it loads your purchase.

There are newer programs available that make it a little easier, Google for some.

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 07-16-2010 at 04:17 PM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 04:38 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynogeny View Post
This is my first post on this forum, and if someone could point me in the right direction, I'd be grateful.

I was hit by the BN.com thing today -- I bought $40 worth of books from them this week expecting them to be in Secure eReader format, and they're not. I'm feeling like I've just made a charity donation to BN, because I have no interest in reading them on my PC. (I use an aging Windows Mobile PDA as an ebook reader.) I'm still floored that they don't indicate anywhere -- even in their FAQ -- that they've changed formats.
Supposedly if you use your web browser to download the eBooks, you'll get eReader. Give it a try and see what happens.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 04:41 PM   #15
rynogeny
rynogeny began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
It is looking for the free B&N Reader software that you would install to read the files
you have purchased, on your PC. The script needs to read some of the information
that the B&N Reader program generates when it loads your purchase.
Thanks, Ken. I was assuming it meant the B&N Reader desktop software. I have that installed. One of the sites I was at made it sound like I need to tweak the script some in terms of the location of the desktop software, but the most recent post makes it sound as if the newest version of the B&N Reader software has been changed and the scripts might need to be updated. I'm going to continue to experiment with it while looking for people with more recent success stories.
rynogeny is offline   Reply With Quote