Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-08-2010, 08:18 AM   #1
BrightLight
BrightLight began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone, + iPad
Copying Files Directly to the SD Card when using a Mac?

Is there a specific place or folder on a SD Card that I’m supposed to copy files I want to read to on the Sony PRS-600?

I’m having difficulties that whenever I try to just copy a file directly over from a Mac onto a card without using the Sony software, it just won’t open on the reader. I get a ‘Protected Page’ error. And oddly the file shows up in the library on the reader with an underscore at the start of its title.

e.g. _Myfile.pdf

I know I can use Sony software to copy to the card, and that appears to work. But it would be more convenient when I just want to copy a file onto my reader for commuting etc, to be able to do it directly, and I thought this was possible?

Buy after reformatting my card several times on the reader, and resetting, I’m still not having any joy.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Many thanks

BrightLight

Last edited by BrightLight; 03-08-2010 at 11:53 AM. Reason: To help others find this solution when using a Mac
BrightLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 09:41 AM   #2
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Shouldn't happen with ordinary book files, it'll usually find 'em anywhere on card but if you look at folder structure on card there is a Sony Reader folder, you can try looking in there for a media/books folder... I just have author folders at root level of card and they work fine.

I think your problem may be that your book{s} are DRM protected purchases which (I think) require transfer through Sony (or ADE) software to know that your device is authorised.
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-08-2010, 10:10 AM   #3
BrightLight

Thanks for your suggestion.

Unfortunately it seems to happen with pretty much any file I try to copy over. I've only got a couple of DRM's eBooks, and I have not bothered to put them on the reader. I'm having problems even trying to copy over files I've generated myself.

But now I've established that it *should* be possible to do, I'll try buying another card, and if that fails, do a hard reset.

Many thanks

BrightLight
Old 03-08-2010, 10:29 AM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Look at the SD card after you transfer with the software. I think it might put them in a /Books subfolder

But no, you should be able to just copy stuff over using your OS file copy without issue.

Even DRM books will work.. as long as the book was purchased and encrypted to the same Adobe ID that your Reader is authorized too.

Make sure you are copying the book file and not the .ascm file.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 10:57 AM   #5
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Are you using a Mac because the filename looks like an icon/resource file that gets created on a Mac... these are not the actual book. I use a program called Hidden Cleaner 2.1 before dumping my books across... gets rid of all unneeded/system files first.
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-08-2010, 11:51 AM   #6
BrightLight

Thanks elcreative. You solved the problem! Yes I am using on a Mac, and I realise what you mean. I just did a quick test from a Windows Laptop and the files copied over and opened fine on the reader. So it looks like I'll need to use something like Hidden Cleaner to overcome that problem when copying from the Mac.

Many thanks again!

BrightLight