Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Other Books

Notices

Old 02-23-2010, 08:00 PM   #1
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Doctorow, Cory: Little Brother. PDF/6in. 22 Feb 2010

What's Little Brother about?
Marcus, a.k.a "w1n5t0n," is only seventeen years old, but he figures he already knows how the system works–and how to work the system. Smart, fast, and wise to the ways of the networked world, he has no trouble outwitting his high school’s intrusive but clumsy surveillance systems.

But his whole world changes when he and his friends find themselves caught in the aftermath of a major terrorist attack on San Francisco. In the wrong place at the wrong time, Marcus and his crew are apprehended by the Department of Homeland Security and whisked away to a secret prison where they’re mercilessly interrogated for days.

When the DHS finally releases them, Marcus discovers that his city has become a police state where every citizen is treated like a potential terrorist. He knows that no one will believe his story, which leaves him only one option: to take down the DHS himself.
All of Doctorow's books are released under a Creative Commons by-nc-sa license.

The explanation:
I wanted a copy of Little Brother formatted for my Sony Reader, with indented paragraphs instead of line breaks. All the versions at Doctorow's free download site use line breaks. Also, I wanted font changes between the main body text and the texting/code text.

This is formatted for a 6" e-ink screen, but will probably look okay on 5" readers as well. 10pt font, which may be a bit small for some people, but it's tagged so should reflow fairly well. It has bookmarks, which will show up as a TOC in the Sony; I could add actual TOC pages if someone wanted them.
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Doctorow_Little Brother_6in.pdf (1.59 MB, 6956 views)
File Type: pdf Doctorow_Little Brother_6in-nomargin.pdf (1.50 MB, 5026 views)

Last edited by Elfwreck; 03-01-2010 at 01:35 PM. Reason: Add no-margin version.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 11:54 AM   #2
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
thanks elfwreck. The format looks great. I'm wondering however would it be possible for you to make a 6in PDF with smaller margins and smaller fonts?
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2010, 02:49 PM   #3
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
thanks elfwreck. The format looks great. I'm wondering however would it be possible for you to make a 6in PDF with smaller margins and smaller fonts?
Thanks!

Smaller than the .1" margins currently there? I can make it with no margins. The ragged right can make it look like it has bigger margins than it does. (Could set it to justified text, but that'd add extra space between words that might look bad in spots. Might be okay with the smaller text size, though.)

Smaller fonts are also easy; how much smaller? It's currently 10 pt; would you like one in 9 pt or 8 pt? Can do smaller than that, too, but that starts getting hard to render.
Old 02-25-2010, 07:19 PM   #4
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah I usually like my eBooks to have 0" margins but .1" is fine, I can always run soPDF to remove the margins.

For LRF I usually use 8pts but I think for PDF I use 9pt.

Thanks again.
Old 03-01-2010, 01:37 PM   #5
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Yeah I usually like my eBooks to have 0" margins but .1" is fine, I can always run soPDF to remove the margins.

For LRF I usually use 8pts but I think for PDF I use 9pt.

Thanks again.
I've redone it with the smallest margins Word will let me convert (1 pt; apparently, it frets about 0 margins), and with main body text of 8.5 pt. Willing to keep tweaking it if you'd like.
Advert
Old 03-01-2010, 02:52 PM   #6
=X=
Wizard

The PDF changes are just fine, thank you
Old 03-04-2010, 08:56 AM   #7
Ellean
Ellean began at the beginning.

Device: DoctorYi
thanks...tonight,,i find my DoctorYi reader can also read PDF ,,,and it seems nice,,
Ellean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 09:51 AM   #8
Ellean
Ellean began at the beginning.

Device: DoctorYi
by the way,,,how can we check the copyright problem of the book that we wanna download..in order to make we can safely download? Because there are so many laws for copyright//
Ellean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 02:41 PM   #9
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellean View Post
by the way,,,how can we check the copyright problem of the book that we wanna download..in order to make we can safely download? Because there are so many laws for copyright//
In this case, it's easy; Doctorow releases all his novels online under Creative Commons. Anyone can re-distribute them.

For other books, it's complicated, and it involves research.

If you're in the US:
Anything published before 1923 is freely available,
Anything published before 1963 *and not re-registered* is available (how to check that is a mess; the Stanford database is a good place to start).

Anything the author gave permission to distribute is available. This includes Creative Commons releases, less-formal statements of "okay to archive elsewhere," and specific permissions to individuals. And that part's pretty much impossible to check, so it helps if the uploader mentions if they have permission to share.