Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-14-2009, 02:57 AM   #1
ChrisZA
Enthusiast
ChrisZA will become famous soon enoughChrisZA will become famous soon enoughChrisZA will become famous soon enoughChrisZA will become famous soon enoughChrisZA will become famous soon enoughChrisZA will become famous soon enough

Device: iPhone
Content server: with some structure?

I'm using the content server to put books to my iphone with stanza (see 101 guide here). However, it's 350 books long and it would be helpful if I could have things organised into a heirarchy - like I see on other online calatogs. Is this possible? Can calibre be told to group tags or series?
ChrisZA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 03:17 AM   #2
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
itimpi's working on a Python version, I think. I believe Kovid has mentioned it was in the plans, but there's probably other more pressing matters to attend to.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2009, 05:08 AM   #3
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
I've been a bit distracted recently in getting the python version completed and ready for release. As my VBScript version works well for me the sense of urgency is not there - I find myself wanting to read rather than program.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 06:42 AM   #4
ChrisZA
Enthusiast
ChrisZA will become famous soon enoughChrisZA will become famous soon enoughChrisZA will become famous soon enoughChrisZA will become famous soon enoughChrisZA will become famous soon enoughChrisZA will become famous soon enough

Hi itimpi.
Where will I find your VB version? Tried searching to no avail.
Will this help me create an XML that I can then place on any web server along with the files to get an indented (structured) catalog?
Cheers
Old 03-14-2009, 06:42 AM   #5
ChrisZA
Enthusiast

Doh - calibre2web - got it!
Advert
Old 03-14-2009, 07:00 AM   #6
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZA View Post
Will this help me create an XML that I can then place on any web server along with the files to get an indented (structured) catalog?
Yes - that is exactly how I use it! I currently have about 3500 books in my library so having a structure was important in being able to find them easily.

Any suggestions on improvements or additions to the structure or the metadata displayed at the book level entries is always welcomed.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 08:08 AM   #7
ChrisZA
Enthusiast

Closing this thread; the solution lies in itimpi's Calibre2Web covered at length here. Does everything one could want in structuring a catalog, AND replicating entire library onto a web server for whatever reason (sharing where legal, remote access, backup, etc)

itimpi: Here's the true benefit that you haven't made clear to us:
Downloading a whole library to stanza is a ball-ache of note. But one would do it to gain the benefit of clicking 'subject' and getting an organised list. Now, your online storage is so sorted, and even more so. This means that you do not need to download to iPhone any more, but can keep the catalog online and just download 1 book at a time for reading, then delete when finished. Niiiiiiice!

Kudos to itimpi - especially for making it so darned easy to install and run!

Last edited by ChrisZA; 03-14-2009 at 08:14 AM.