Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

View Poll Results: Will you be upgrading to the Paperwhite II proposed below?
Yes. Upgrading from Paperwhite. 17 22.67%
Yes. Upgrading from and old reader, or different brand. 7 9.33%
No. Have Paperwhite already. Not enough improvement. 44 58.67%
No. I haven't got a PW, but will wait until my reader breaks. 7 9.33%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-04-2013, 01:06 PM   #91
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyn2012 View Post
Another annoyance is the fact that never switching on wifi means that the clock doesn't keep correct time - clocks do NOT need internet access to keep time, this is ridiculous.
This one does need internet access, so they can force you to use the WiFi, so they can push firmware updates, check what goes on in your Kindle and once you have your WiFi on, they hope you will make a purchase in their store.

While I had Kindle I set the correct time using the date command from terminal launched through KUAL
Quote:
The PW is both my first and last Kindle reader and, for me,
The moment PocketBook reader with front-light came out I sold my PW and purchased PB623.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 02:48 PM   #92
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
That was my first thought, unfortunately after a few days or a week I suddenly realise that the clock is wrong, not by minutes but by many hours. This happened a number of times until I eventually gave up using the clock altogether.
I've noticed this too. This sort of moronic behaviour of a device can get me to utterly start hating it and avoid buying one from the same manufacturer ever again.

I actually tried to set the clock by enabling Wifi, but it was still off. Not by hours, such as it would be by syncing with the wrong timezone, but by some sort of weird amount, like 23 minutes.

Now I just leave everything in the reader turned off and disregard the clock. The only thing I do is open a book, read, and turn pages. If all the books are done, I delete them and load some new ones in Calibre.

Maybe my next device won't be a Kindle, but with regard to that, Kobo needs to seriously unbug the text display in their firmware, improve their customer service, or Sony needs to add a front-light and lose the useless buttons.

Maybe I'll look into completely other brands; as long as they have a touch screen, and a front-light.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2013, 08:32 PM   #93
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
I've noticed this too. This sort of moronic behaviour of a device can get me to utterly start hating it and avoid buying one from the same manufacturer ever again.

I actually tried to set the clock by enabling Wifi, but it was still off. Not by hours, such as it would be by syncing with the wrong timezone, but by some sort of weird amount, .
That is weird. I always keep my wifi off, except to buy books, but it keeps perfect time. I scout out books with my laptop, and only turn the PW wifi on for the 3 seconds it takes to send the book. Maybe you have a hardware problem?
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:14 AM   #94
discopig
Book Addict
discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
My kindle PW has been in airplane mode for well over a month and the clock is still fine.
discopig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 03:23 AM   #95
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
That is weird. I always keep my wifi off, except to buy books, but it keeps perfect time. I scout out books with my laptop, and only turn the PW wifi on for the 3 seconds it takes to send the book. Maybe you have a hardware problem?
You should only need to reset the clock after a reboot of the Kindle. Like yours, mine keeps excellent time with WiFi off.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2013, 11:47 AM   #96
knauck
root
knauck is faster than slow light.knauck is faster than slow light.knauck is faster than slow light.knauck is faster than slow light.knauck is faster than slow light.knauck is faster than slow light.knauck is faster than slow light.knauck is faster than slow light.knauck is faster than slow light.knauck is faster than slow light.knauck is faster than slow light.

I'd personally like:
  1. AUDIO. For Christ's sake, why did they can that with the PW? I bought a small usb sound card, but haven't had time to solder it up to the PCB or fiddle with the kernel.
  2. SD card slot.
  3. Better/bigger battery.
If the new one carries none of those improvements, not a chance.
knauck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 05:14 PM   #97
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
So you are honestly happy that the PW has such a few selectable fonts, few margin choices, few line spacing choices, and basically little control of the text? I seriously doubt it.
less is more.

I chose one font and one font size and that's it for me. I'm not a gadget tinkerer, I'm a reader wanting to read.
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 05:21 PM   #98
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by discopig View Post
My kindle PW has been in airplane mode for well over a month and the clock is still fine.
yep, the battery is amazing, hands down.

and BTW, no. I just got a top-notch eink reader with all bells and whistles and lit screen and am not likely to buy another one so soon unless it breaks.
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 12:59 AM   #99
tofubean
Connoisseur
tofubean is on a distinguished road

Device: K3, iPad, PW
My PW clock is weird too. I keep airplane mode always but the time starts to act weird after awhile. I just stop looking at the clock since it's always not accurate.
tofubean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 04:21 PM   #100
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
My clock is always going wrong on my PW. Flight mode obviously.

But back to the thrust of the thread.

Audio. Audio. Audio.

And one more thing. I bought a nook simple Touch. Can never be worse than that.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 01:53 PM   #101
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by knauck View Post
I'd personally like:
  1. AUDIO. For Christ's sake, why did they can that with the PW? I bought a small usb sound card, but haven't had time to solder it up to the PCB or fiddle with the kernel.
  2. SD card slot.
  3. Better/bigger battery.
If the new one carries none of those improvements, not a chance.
How much memory do you really need? The memory they give you is still enough to hold over 1000 books. Presumably you can get to a computer at least once a year and swap out your books. Or download them through wifi and the built-in browser if they're Dropboxed.

And the answer had better not be "because I need to hold my entire music library on my Kindle" of all places. That's what phones and mp3 players are for. The Kindle is for casual/occasional mp3 use at BEST.

I do agree that audio should be put back on -- for the TTS and audiobooks -- but the Kindle isn't meant for pounding music -- or audiobooks.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 02:00 PM   #102
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
My next "upgrade" is most likely going to be a new Amazon tablet. Seriously - my PW does everything I need to have from a dedicated book reader. Except... if the screen will improve a lot, I might reconsider...
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 02:27 AM   #103
discopig
Book Addict
discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm not a fan of audiobooks so for me if that is one of the only major upgrades I'll pass.

However, I wouldnt say no to better battery life and SD card slot...but still not enough to force me to upgrade.
discopig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 09:59 AM   #104
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
The SD card slot is certainly interesting, however like discopig its not enough to get the $100 out of me. As the price of a kindle goes down I need less and less of an incentive to buy. However at the $110 level I need an incentive to shell out the bucks and from what I have seen its not enough.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 10:46 AM   #105
Zeebra
Evangelist
Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
I'll be tempted to upgrade to a Paperwhite 2 for the sole reason i'm on the Kindle 4 right now and i'd like the light option. I really wish they'd include page turn buttons on it though.
Zeebra is offline   Reply With Quote