Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-05-2013, 11:12 AM   #1
loraduhh
loraduhh began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 4
Exclamation HELP!!! ACCIDENTALLY FASTBOOTED, STUCK IN DIAGNOSTIC MODE

PLEASE HELP ME! I was trying to install screensavers, my kindle is usbnet enabled when i accidentally selected Install Fastboot Bundle on the Diagnostic Mode. Right now my kindle is stuck in the diagnostic mode. i tried using thNo dat to do (((
loraduhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:21 AM   #2
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by loraduhh View Post
PLEASE HELP ME! I was trying to install screensavers, my kindle is usbnet enabled when i accidentally selected Install Fastboot Bundle on the Diagnostic Mode. Right now my kindle is stuck in the diagnostic mode. i tried using thNo dat to do (((
Actually, your kindle is stuck in fastboot mode, which does not use the eink screen. Because eink retains its last image without electricity, you are seeing what was last on your screen BEFORE you "accidentally" switched it to fastboot mode.

You did not say what model kindle you did this to, but your profile lists your device as "kindle 4", so let's assume for now that it is a K4 or newer.

You can use MfgTool or imx_usb_loader to temporarily boot to another mode and use the idme command from an SSH shell to change the bootmode var. Or you can use the fastboot tool to change the boot mode var. The common values are main, diags, or fastboot.

This has been documented many times in this forum. Check the simple debricking and select boot threads for more information.

Last edited by geekmaster; 01-05-2013 at 11:26 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2013, 11:23 AM   #3
loraduhh

im trying to boot it to another mode by using the Mfgtool but it says that there is "No Device connected". help please?
Old 01-05-2013, 11:34 AM   #4
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
im trying to boot it to another mode by using the Mfgtool but it says that there is "No Device connected". help please?
What OS on your host PC? Depending on your OS, you may need to run it as root or Administrator to see the kindle. If it is a 64-bit windows, you will need to boot to "allow unsigned drivers" mode to use the libusb driver needed by MfgTool. You did install libusb-win32, right?
Old 01-05-2013, 11:35 AM   #5
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
First: NO NEED TO SHOUT here.

Second: you want to use the fastboot executable, not Mfgtool. You can find it in the stickied Master Index.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2013, 11:39 AM   #6
loraduhh

Its a Windows 7, 32 bit. umm nope, i didn't install that. sorry, im not tech savvy and im new to this.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:40 AM   #7
loraduhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
First: NO NEED TO SHOUT here.

Second: you want to use the fastboot executable, not Mfgtool. You can find it in the stickied Master Index.
sorry, i was panicking a bit when i posted that. and thanks, ill try that too.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:42 AM   #8
geekmaster

Quote:
sorry, i was panicking a bit when i posted that. and thanks, ill try that too.
As I recommended above, you can use fastboot to permanently change the bootmode var.

fastboot setvar bootmode main

I also listed alternatives so you could use whichever method you feel comfortable with. Your choice.

Last edited by geekmaster; 01-05-2013 at 11:48 AM.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:49 AM   #9
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No worries. Calm down, then start by reading the "Simple debricking" thread.

Chances are that the "tools collection" here will contain everything that you need.

Roughly follow the "simple debricking guide" - but the only part that is relevant for you is the fastboot part. Your kindle is NOT bricked, it's simply in fastboot mode. So again, follow the instructions relevant to that, not to mfgtool. Once you have your device recognized in windows, simply issuing fastboot setvar bootmode main is the ONLY command that you need. Don't do any of the other stuff, it will only make the situation worse.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:49 AM   #10
loraduhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
As I recommended above, you can use fastboot to permanently change the bootmode var.

fastboot setvar bootmode main

I also listed alternatives so you could use whichever method you feel comfortable with. Your choice.
umm, can you teach me how to do that, as in step by step. so sorry.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:04 PM   #11
loraduhh

Quote:

Chances are that the "tools collection" here will contain everything that you need.

Roughly follow the "simple debricking guide" - but the only part that is relevant for you is the fastboot part. Your kindle is NOT bricked, it's simply in fastboot mode. So again, follow the instructions relevant to that, not to mfgtool. Once you have your device recognized in windows, simply issuing fastboot setvar bootmode main is the ONLY command that you need. Don't do any of the other stuff, it will only make the situation worse.
thank you im working on it now.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:11 PM   #12
loraduhh

Quote:

so this is the only thing i need to follow?
In fastboot mode, do:
gunzip mmcblk0p2.img.gz
sudo ./fastboot flash diags mmcblk0p2.img
Old 01-05-2013, 12:12 PM   #13
geekmaster

Quote:
umm, can you teach me how to do that, as in step by step. so sorry.
There is only one step, and that is exactly what I showed.

If you use a linux host PC (or liveCD) it is that easy. Just download and use the linux fastboot tool from the tools index wiki.

For a windows host PC, you may need to install additional drivers (libusb-win32). See the select boot thread for details. For 64-bit windows you need to reboot to "allow unsigned drivers" mode.

I recommend using linux.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:16 PM   #14
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
so this is the only thing i need to follow?
In fastboot mode, do:
gunzip mmcblk0p2.img.gz
sudo ./fastboot flash diags mmcblk0p2.img
NO!!!!

ONLY run the command to get your kindle back into "normal" mode - both geekmaster and I posted that command.

You will probably only make things WORSE if you try to flash partitions etc.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:28 PM   #15
loraduhh

Quote:
NO!!!!

ONLY run the command to get your kindle back into "normal" mode - both geekmaster and I posted that command.

You will probably only make things WORSE if you try to flash partitions etc.
wait, so ill run the command in my computer?