Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-01-2012, 07:17 PM   #91
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
My bettery meter for the PW was also very inaccurate at first. After 2 cycles taking it down to near empty the meter started working correctly.

Take it down at least once to the screen showing icons for a large battery, a wire and a lightning bolt for power. That should train the battery meter to work correctly.
Thanks, Sirmaru, I'll give that a try.
93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:44 AM   #92
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93terp View Post
I figured with the 5-7 week backlog that it would be a while before they could ship a replacement. I have seen postings with other people being told that their replacements would ship in line with Amazon's posted backlog.
Ahh, I see. The users here mostly received their replacements within days, though I have also talked to CS reps who claimed not to have any devices available for exchanges for 2 weeks - turns out it depends on the goodwill (?) of the customer service rep you are talking to. One will tell you one thing, the next another, which can be immensely frustrating.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2012, 01:57 AM   #93
Julius Caesar
Addict
Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Best Buy near me was notorious for repackaging returned items and placing them on the shelves as brand new. I once bought a cordless phone. The package looked unopened. I got home and discovered quite a few names and phone numbers already entered into memory. Quite obviously a recycled, returned item. I took it back and they acted dumb, well maybe not so much on the acting part. Over the years I've gotten several items like this from BB that were obviously just recycled returns. One of the reasons I mostly shop at Amazon now.
Amazon do the same thing. Quite a few people complained that the replacement Paperwhite they received from Amazon is probably a refurbished item because:
1. It has an R marking on the Kindle Logo. The original one doesn't have the marking.

2. The Quick Start Card is missing.

This happens despite us buying their Kindle less than 30 days before we are asking for a replacement. If you ask for a replacement less than 30 days after you buy it, you are supposed to get a new one, not a refurbished one.

I asked them about this but they claimed that it is brand new because they haven't had Paperwhite refurbished yet and they run through my serial number and they said according to ownership history, I am the only one who ever owned it.

I decided not to ask for another replacement because considering just how many complains people have with their Paperwhite, new or replacement, mine is actually perfect so I decided to just keep it.

Last edited by Julius Caesar; 11-02-2012 at 02:05 AM.
Julius Caesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:13 AM   #94
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julius Caesar View Post

I decided not to ask for another replacement because considering just how many complains people have with their Paperwhite, new or replacement, mine is actually perfect so I decided to just keep it.
See where this is just absolutely wrong, or is it just me that is now getting mighty annoyed at this whole circus ???

Why on freakin' earth would you even consider another replacement if you are happy with the PW you have ?? How did it even go through your mind ??

This is ridiculous.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:19 AM   #95
Julius Caesar
Addict
Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
See where this is just absolutely wrong, or is it just me that is now getting mighty annoyed at this whole circus ???

Why on freakin' earth would you even consider another replacement if you are happy with the PW you have ?? How did it even go through your mind ??

This is ridiculous.
Because when I asked for a replacement, I expected to get a new one, not refurbished.

But I don't want to get into the hassle of yet waiting for another replacement So, I just accept it and move on. I just tell myself may be Amazon is telling me the truth that what I got is a new one and not refurbished.

Last edited by Julius Caesar; 11-02-2012 at 02:21 AM.
Advert
Old 11-02-2012, 02:26 AM   #96
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
A "R" is ususally for a replacement, the refurbished Kindle Keyboard I got stated "refurbished" and not "R" on it. But seriously now, you like it, you're happy, it looks new, what else do you want exactly ??? A personal letter from Jeff telling you how you are his very favorite customer ?

Last edited by aceflor; 11-02-2012 at 02:51 AM.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:34 AM   #97
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
I'm still confused why someone would want a replacement for a kindle that is perfect, regardless of how it came.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:37 AM   #98
Julius Caesar
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushka View Post
I'm still confused why someone would want a replacement for a kindle that is perfect, regardless of how it came.
As I said I just considered it but decided not to, jeesz. Can we please move on now?
Old 11-03-2012, 02:21 PM   #99
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Someone posted this conversation on kindle boards that they had with a Kindle CS rep. Hmm.. I can't see how a software fix could fix those issues, still I thought I'd add the post here.

Interesting (and hopeful) conversation i had with Amazon CS today to check in that they received my 2nd PW replacement that i returned last week. his exact quote:

"Yeah, we've gotten so many returns over reports of pink and blue lighting problems and we're definitely working on it. In the next few weeks there will be a software update which will be addressing these "splotching issues on the screen" *his words not mine* I recommend you wait a few weeks and try again because like i said, we're putting out a software update to address these issues specifically."

i love that there's been enough noise made that they're working on clearing up the issue *and admittedly, i sure do miss that incredible small font Palatino on the PW* but i'm pretty skeptical how something like LED issues can be addressed through a software update. Bravo to CS regardless. Good reminder why i'm a kindle loyalist
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 03:42 AM   #100
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
And someone posted this on the Amazon discussion boards:

Quote:
Well I finally got some satisfactory answers from Amazon. I had to return my fourth Kindle Paperwhite - 3G w/o special offers Kindle PW, as well as my previous three wifi with special offers. I received a phone call from a rep from a special Kindle Paperwhite team and was informed that Amazon and Jeff Bezos are well-aware of the issue of the discoloration of the screens. She said it is a huge issue and they are working to resolve it ASAP. She told me they are manufacturing new Kindle PaperWhites and are making adjustments to the LED lights - which is the reason for the problem, according to the engineers. She said she would stay in contact with me and when they have the new Kindle PaperWhites with no screen issues, she will have one sent out to me immediately. She is also extending my return time to 90 days and said not to worry that even if it goes beyond that time period when the newly manufactured PWs are available, I will be sent one. (But I sure HOPE it doesn't take that long!)
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:22 AM   #101
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julius Caesar View Post
Amazon do the same thing. Quite a few people complained that the replacement Paperwhite they received from Amazon is probably a refurbished item because:
1. It has an R marking on the Kindle Logo. The original one doesn't have the marking.

2. The Quick Start Card is missing.

This happens despite us buying their Kindle less than 30 days before we are asking for a replacement. If you ask for a replacement less than 30 days after you buy it, you are supposed to get a new one, not a refurbished one.

I asked them about this but they claimed that it is brand new because they haven't had Paperwhite refurbished yet and they run through my serial number and they said according to ownership history, I am the only one who ever owned it.

The "new" replacement I rec'd Friday also had the "R" on the label, as well as no QuickStart Card in the box. The Amazon CS rep "guaranteed" that I would receive a new unit, not a refurb. This really pisses me off.
Old 11-04-2012, 07:26 AM   #102
93terp
Fear The Turtle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joehunt View Post
I'm being somewhat rhetorical, but are we supposed to assume that Amazon intends to replace all of our "blotchy" Paperwhites with the new & improved screen Paperwhites? I'm skeptical!
Old 11-04-2012, 09:08 AM   #103
tmf2
Zealot
tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93terp View Post
I'm being somewhat rhetorical, but are we supposed to assume that Amazon intends to replace all of our "blotchy" Paperwhites with the new & improved screen Paperwhites? I'm skeptical!
I was to believe reading over on the Amazon board only people that send in for replacements due to defective screens those that choose to live with it will not.
tmf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:34 AM   #104
7hir7een
Reader of Books
7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Elipsa, Kindle Basic (11th gen)
Quote:
This makes much more sense than a software change. Hope it's true and pans out for the rest of us, too.
7hir7een is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:54 AM   #105
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
That's interesting. I think tomorrow when Andrew calls me I will ask him further about this, mention these posts, and see what he says.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote