Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 11-24-2011, 12:35 AM   #1
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
Why won't they educate the B&N Associates??

So I was on the fence about buying a Nook Tablet and selling my Color...after the reviews of the Nook Tablet, I doubt I'll get one, it's more like the Color and a Tablet, and seems harder to root when things happen on that front. Before I went online and saw them I went into the store...WHY WHY WHY did I do this?

I asked the associate (I was directed to him because according to someone else, he knew everything and then some about them), I've got a question on the stock reader on the Nook Tablet. His response was "What do you mean stock reader?"

Ugh...okay, it's the reader, the software that reads the books on the Tablet.

I continue on...does it support Multi-level TOC's on the ePubs? What's a Multi-Level TOC?

Okay, nevermind...Is the Android Market open? Well all you have to do is touch the Apps and it will open.

Ugh...okay. And I just left....I'm sorry, these aren't very technical questions...he should have been able to understand and answer them at even the most BASIC level.
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 12:54 AM   #2
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhempel24 View Post
Okay, nevermind...Is the Android Market open? Well all you have to do is touch the Apps and it will open...
*eyes watering*
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2011, 02:34 AM   #3
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhempel24 View Post
Well all you have to do is touch the Apps and it will open.
Agreed - the funniest thing I have read all day!
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 01:04 PM   #4
Chikwako
Reader EZ
Chikwako has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chikwako has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chikwako has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: √NC, √NST, Sero Pro
Everytime I go to a B&N (there are a few close by, so I never go to the same one all the time), I get amusing answers.
Last time I was in one, I asked the girl directly and to the point: "Can you root the Nook Touch?" First she says "I can't neither affirm nor deny that statement" (which I think is their standard answer about rooting), and after we got friendlier she tells me it is not possible to root it due to the slow speed of the e-ink to refresh the image, making it impossible to play games and use other apps that require fast refreshing speed.

Although not totally off, I still referred her to Mobileread.com.
Chikwako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 07:35 AM   #5
temetka
Enthusiast
temetka could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.temetka could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.temetka could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.temetka could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.temetka could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.temetka could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.temetka could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.temetka could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.temetka could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.temetka could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.temetka could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1st Gen.
The girl at my B&N has not only rooted her NC, she showed it to me!

We discussed the XDA forums, locked bootloaders and all kinds of stuff. Very cool.

Your guys reps just aren't geeks. They are employees. Oh noes.
temetka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2011, 06:59 AM   #6
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by temetka View Post
The girl at my B&N has not only rooted her NC, she showed it to me!

We discussed the XDA forums, locked bootloaders and all kinds of stuff. Very cool.

Your guys reps just aren't geeks. They are employees. Oh noes.
The thing that got me was..."This guy knows everything about the Nook Tablet"...obviously not LOL

It's awesome that yours does, its good to have a rep to go to that knows their stuff.
Old 11-30-2011, 03:15 PM   #7
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
When I bought mine (which I will return today or tomorrow by the way) the associate said...

"Trust me, this is a nice tablet. I know what I am saying because I'm almost done with my Computer Science degree"

I mean, I understand he wanted to give more credibility to his comment saying that, but I am not expecting an Engineer as a sales representative.

By the way, most of the stuff he said was wrong, but I did not argued. Bought it in order to see myself and later decide.

Maybe is better buy it from Best Buy, although finding a kid who knows his stuff there is also a lottery. But I've found really smart kids in Best Buy, and they look like enjoy talking about it.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 04:18 PM   #8
tecweston
Comic book artist
tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight, iPad, iPhone
I had a problem with my SD card and went into B&N to ask someone about it. Our exchange went something like this:

Me: None of the books that are on my SD card are showing up in the library.
Associate: Are all the books on the SD card purchased through BN.com?
Me: No, most of them are from Project Gutenberg, but there are some from Kobobooks.com and one from Amazon.
Associate: What was that first one?
Me: Project Gutenberg?
Associate: What is that?
Me: It's a website with public domain ebooks.
Associate: So they're all free?
Me: Yeah.
Associate: Then what's the big deal? Just download them again.
tecweston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 04:28 PM   #9
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I'd be happy if the Wi-Fi would work in my nearest store allowing internet access. Doesn't seem like they give a darn so why educate the associates?
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 09:51 PM   #10
nicabod
nicabod began at the beginning.

Device: B&N Nook, refurbed
Try reading Charlie Pierce's book "Idiot America".
nicabod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 06:28 AM   #11
jhempel24
Wizard

I'll have to check that out!
Old 12-13-2011, 07:14 AM   #12
peitsao
Addict
peitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo mini, PW3,NookST
Give the poor sales clerks a break--at minimum wages with part-time hours, B&N isn't going to invest in any real training program to educate them, and most of them will be laid off after Christmas anyway.
peitsao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 08:39 AM   #13
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peitsao View Post
Give the poor sales clerks a break--at minimum wages with part-time hours, B&N isn't going to invest in any real training program to educate them, and most of them will be laid off after Christmas anyway.
Well, you are partially right. I guess people are no expecting "engineers" working as sales guys there. But at least, put people who know good enough about ebooks and basic computer literacy. The few stores that I've visited, they are not even close to that.

I think that better knowledge about the product and ebook formats shows a little respect for those who work hard to got the money and pay 200 bucks for a device like that.

Nook Color and Nook Tablet are affordable, but not cheap for most of USA workers or families.
Old 12-14-2011, 06:10 PM   #14
dkperez
Groupie
dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nine
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
Maybe is better buy it from Best Buy, although finding a kid who knows his stuff there is also a lottery. But I've found really smart kids in Best Buy, and they look like enjoy talking about it.
Wow, you must have a far better Best Buy than I've seen in Minnesota... Last year, looking at e-readers at Best Buy... Question to sales kid: Of the several units you have (Sony, Nook, Kindle, Pandigital), which is the easiest to use for an extended period? Him: "Uh, I don't really know, I don't do much reading."

This was the person to whom I was referred because "He's our resident expert and knows EVERYTHING about our e-readers." Oh.

BTW: Had their e-readers actually been functional I'd have skipped asking the question, but since the only one that was actually working was the Pandigital...
dkperez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 08:49 PM   #15
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkperez View Post
Wow, you must have a far better Best Buy than I've seen in Minnesota... Last year, looking at e-readers at Best Buy... Question to sales kid: Of the several units you have (Sony, Nook, Kindle, Pandigital), which is the easiest to use for an extended period? Him: "Uh, I don't really know, I don't do much reading."

This was the person to whom I was referred because "He's our resident expert and knows EVERYTHING about our e-readers." Oh.

BTW: Had their e-readers actually been functional I'd have skipped asking the question, but since the only one that was actually working was the Pandigital...
BB is a hit and miss but I think you're right. As a matter fact, those two kids are not on main floor anymore. Saw them as supervisors the other day although , I still approach to them if needed.