Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-12-2011, 10:21 PM   #1
markemark
Enthusiast
markemark is a splendid one to beholdmarkemark is a splendid one to beholdmarkemark is a splendid one to beholdmarkemark is a splendid one to beholdmarkemark is a splendid one to beholdmarkemark is a splendid one to beholdmarkemark is a splendid one to beholdmarkemark is a splendid one to beholdmarkemark is a splendid one to beholdmarkemark is a splendid one to beholdmarkemark is a splendid one to behold

Device: Kobo Touch
Kobo Touch doesn't like a certain epub

I found an epub that causes my Kobo Touch to reboot over and over.

When I copy weatherwax's version of The Red Badge of Courage [https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?t=152036] from Calibre on to my Kobo Touch's microSD card and eject, the KT will show the "processing content" screen and then it will reboot, and reboot, and reboot!

The only way to break the cycle is to eject the microSD and then delete the offending file from the card using my computer. Once that epub is removed from the card, the KT works as expected again.

I opened the epub in Sigil and its validation check shows nothing wrong. So what about that epub could be offending my Kobo so?
markemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 10:36 PM   #2
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Try using Calibre to convert the file into E-pub (Even though it already is) and then loading it onto your Kobo™

This should really be added to a list of Kobo Tips or something, this problem seems to happen fairly often.

Last edited by The Terminator; 10-19-2011 at 11:07 PM.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2011, 01:40 PM   #3
markemark
Enthusiast
markemark is a splendid one to beholdmarkemark is a splendid one to beholdmarkemark is a splendid one to beholdmarkemark is a splendid one to beholdmarkemark is a splendid one to beholdmarkemark is a splendid one to beholdmarkemark is a splendid one to beholdmarkemark is a splendid one to beholdmarkemark is a splendid one to beholdmarkemark is a splendid one to beholdmarkemark is a splendid one to behold

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Terminator View Post
This should really be added to a list of Kobo Tips or something, this problem seems to happen fairly often.
I've been unable so far to discover exactly what in that epub is offending my kobo. But converting epub to epub in Calibre and copying that version over keeps my kobo happy. Thanks for the suggestion!
markemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 11:19 AM   #4
Lunchtray
Connoisseur
Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Kobo Gen 1
I've found when some ePubs randomly close it's because you have a microSD card installed on the device and something's going on that kicks you out of the book after a few page turns. Try removing the SD card if you have one in the device and try reading the epub and see if the issue persists.
Lunchtray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 07:20 PM   #5
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by markemark View Post
I've been unable so far to discover exactly what in that epub is offending my kobo. But converting epub to epub in Calibre and copying that version over keeps my kobo happy. Thanks for the suggestion!
As I said it's a fairly common problem. Really should be a sticky'd Kobo bug fix thread.

Last edited by The Terminator; 10-19-2011 at 11:07 PM.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2011, 07:33 PM   #6
CazMar
Book Geek
CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus MemPad 7" tablet, Nexus 5, Asus 10" tablet
I had the same problem with one file. When I ran it through Sigil's Epub checker there were a number of issues with the way the HTML was written. (If it is a DRM'd file you can;t do this).
I think Terminator's solution is the best - run it through Calibre again and "convert" it to EPub again.
CazMar is offline   Reply With Quote