Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-21-2010, 12:12 PM   #1
foreverjuly
Crank Up The Awesome!
foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Nook, iPhone
When Was The Last Time You Bought A Book?

Just checking to make sure people are in fact still buying books out there, because from where I'm standing the whole industry seems to have ground to a screeching halt.

I had no idea the middle of October would be such a dry patch.

The last time you bought an ebook? A DTB?
foreverjuly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 12:15 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I bought a book in September. I bought Ken Follett's Pillars of the Earth. I bought the ePub edition from Sony.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2010, 12:17 PM   #3
Bikeridr
Information Acquirer
Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 International, Pocketbook Color
eBook: 5 bought today.
pBook: 19th September according to my billing records.
Bikeridr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 12:33 PM   #4
chilady1
I devour books!
chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, Kindle 3/Kobo Aura HD, iPhone 6
The last DTB I brought was back in Jan 2009 right before I received my Kindle as a gift for my birthday. I haven't purchased a "real" physical book since that time. Ever book since then has been electronic for my beloved Kindle.

Last edited by chilady1; 10-21-2010 at 08:19 PM. Reason: Wrong date, typo
chilady1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 12:41 PM   #5
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I bought 3 ebooks in September. (I returned one for horrible errors, and a missing last chapter, due to lack of proofing.) I also ordered a graphic novel in September, and I ordered another one just today. I haven't bought any printed books in over a year, other than two that I've gifted to my wife (she's not doing the ebook thing).
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2010, 12:47 PM   #6
MovieBird
TuxSlash
MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: GlowNook
I've only purchased two books in October, but that's because I purchased ten in September. There's a bit of a backlog to get through

Keep in mind this forum is self-selecting, anyone who finds their way to Mobile Read is a heavy reader; and most likely has significant disposable income if they're willing to drop a few hundred dollars/pounds/etc on a dedicated reading device.

EDIT: All were ebooks, of course!

Last edited by MovieBird; 10-21-2010 at 12:52 PM.
MovieBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 12:49 PM   #7
foreverjuly
Crank Up The Awesome!
foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Nook, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilady1 View Post
The last DTB I brought was back in Jan 1999 right before I received my Kindle as a gift for my birthday. I haven't purchased a "real" physical book since that time. Ever book since then has been electronic for my beloved Kindle.
Wow, that's impressive! I doubt anyone could beat that record!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lyle Jordan View Post
I bought 3 ebooks in September. (I returned one for horrible errors, and a missing last chapter, due to lack of proofing.) I also ordered a graphic novel in September, and I ordered another one just today. I haven't bought any printed books in over a year, other than two that I've gifted to my wife (she's not doing the ebook thing).
Yikes, a missing last chapter. Reminds me of when I used to rent movies and someone would tape over the last five minutes. Pretty much ruins everything. Graphic novels and things like that are definitely a good reason to still be buying print books...

...though I just had to have the Hunger Games trilogy in print.
foreverjuly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 12:56 PM   #8
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilady1 View Post
The last DTB I brought was back in Jan 1999 right before I received my Kindle as a gift for my birthday. I haven't purchased a "real" physical book since that time. Ever book since then has been electronic for my beloved Kindle.
January 1999? Right before you received your Kindle?
Seems you've got your Kindle about 7 years ahead of all others...

Last edited by mgmueller; 10-21-2010 at 01:02 PM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 12:59 PM   #9
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverjuly View Post
Just checking to make sure people are in fact still buying books out there, because from where I'm standing the whole industry seems to have ground to a screeching halt.

I had no idea the middle of October would be such a dry patch.

The last time you bought an ebook? A DTB?
I buy eBooks more or less every 2nd day. I don't usually read all of them right ahead, I just buy them when I see them.
When reading, I'm reading 3 to 6 books in parallel, so I need permanent supplies. I've bought about 600 eBooks within the last 3 years.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 01:05 PM   #10
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Bought four print books yesterday. Bought a couple of e-books last week.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 01:19 PM   #11
rebarnmom
Wizard
rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-700 (traded in), Sony PRS-650
downloaded several free eBooks this week and last
purchased 1 eBook two weeks ago
purchased 2 pBooks for my daughter two weeks ago
DTB? Not since I got my Sony 700 in January 2009
Having an eReader? Priceless!
rebarnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 01:37 PM   #12
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
e-books 10 (some free & some cheaper ones included)

Paper - 2

It seems to me there isn't a whole lot of new books I'm interested in this month. November looks better
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 01:37 PM   #13
hgwlackey
Zealot
hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle Touch, HTC Thunderbolt
I bought Thomas Mullen's "Last Town On Earth" in epub a couple days ago and have Wesley Stace's "by George" open in a browser tab waiting for me to click "buy now" (I've been hoping for a Kobo coupon).

I think the last physical book I bought was a Julia Child cookbook early this year.
hgwlackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 01:42 PM   #14
yakuzaboss
Groupie
yakuzaboss is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-650
I purchased Amsterdam 2012 by Ruth Francisco from Smashwords last night.
yakuzaboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 01:51 PM   #15
bobavey
Bob Avey
bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Sales are down for me. I've seen similar comments on other sites. Not sure why.

Twisted Perception

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/boo...=2940011822049
bobavey is offline   Reply With Quote