Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-15-2016, 05:03 AM   #1051
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by nasser View Post
- - -

Only Amazon's Kindle guide (azw3) is not showing up in KOReader's file manager?

- - - -
Are you using the KOReader build from NiLuJe's snapshot thread?

Is it just the Amazon Kindle guide or is it any azw3 format book (I recall there was a recent 'fix' in azw3 handling).

PS: Been here over 4 years, and have yet to hear of someone reading the Amazon Kindle Guide.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 10:29 AM   #1052
Sukarn
Enthusiast
Sukarn began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post

Is it just the Amazon Kindle guide or is it any azw3 format book (I recall there was a recent 'fix' in azw3 handling).

PS: Been here over 4 years, and have yet to hear of someone reading the Amazon Kindle Guide.
I read it. It was the first thing I read when I received my PW2. I had never seen Kindle before that, and the directions in that book were helpful. Much better than hunting on the internet for how to use the device, or figuring it all out by experimenting and then wondering where the imaginary page-turn tapping line is, and how to get the settings to show when inside a book.
Sure, I didn't read the whole thing; just enough to get me going, and then I glanced through it to find out whether it had anything else that was important.
Sukarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 10:54 AM   #1053
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sukarn View Post
I read it.
It was the first thing I read when I received my PW2.
- - - -
Alex's ad revenue would take a big hit if everyone was like yourself.
Old 08-15-2016, 11:10 AM   #1054
wodan16
Enthusiast
wodan16 began at the beginning.

Device: kt3
Quote:
Sorry, Wodan!
I had made the change for line 354 in a different place. Had searched for "self.input.open" and without checking the line number, made the change in the wrong line!

I now edited the correct line and KOReader is working on my KT3.
Loaded a few pdfs( What? Yes! So busy hacking, I haven't even put books on my new kindle) and they open fine under KOReader.

Only Amazon's Kindle guide (azw3) is not showing up in KOReader's file manager?

Thanks again, Kodan!
Feature-list koreader github :
https://github.com/koreader/koreader/wiki/Features-list

There is no azw listed.
Showing them I guess wouldn't harm....but opening them with koreader....that would be just looking for trouble with amazon.
That would be my guess why it is like that.

I don't have one right now...let me download the guide again...the one I read all the way through until the last page before deleting it.
The day has come you met someone who actually read it. O_o @knc1

Wodan
wodan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 11:53 AM   #1055
nasser
Evangelist
nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many..
Quote:

KOReader's file manager not able to see any azw3 file, not just Amazon's!
Well.. Not a great issue, since the built in reader should do the job.

Don't know if this is related to my kindle model(KT3W, Serial G000KA), Framework version(5.8.0) or KOReader version(NiLuJe's nightly 2015.11-533-g1d250c).

I normally go through the Kindle UG. In the KT3's case, especially since it has the new VoiceView thing!
nasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 01:37 PM   #1056
wodan16
Enthusiast
wodan16 began at the beginning.

Device: kt3
Quote:
KOReader's file manager not able to see ???ANY??? azw3 file, not just Amazon's!
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/AZW
wodan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 02:33 PM   #1057
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:

Well if you give me your number, you will hear someone they read the guide. Otherwise you will just have to read it here that I read the user guide.
Can't say it was much help but I read it.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 08:09 AM   #1058
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
AZW3 is KF8.

KOReader cannot read the KF8 format. Hence no reason showing you stuff you can't read .

AZW is DRMed MOBI7.

KOReader cannot read DRMed formats. Hence no reason showing you stuff you can't read .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 10:36 AM   #1059
nasser
Evangelist
nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
AZW3 is KF8.

KOReader cannot read the KF8 format. Hence no reason showing you stuff you can't read .

AZW is DRMed MOBI7.

KOReader cannot read DRMed formats. Hence no reason showing you stuff you can't read .
Understood. Thanks, Niluje!
Btw, I have a few free non-DRMed AZW files (downloaded directly from Amazon). KOReader shows these in the file manager, opens them , reads them!
Also, welcome back!

Last edited by nasser; 08-16-2016 at 10:46 AM.
Old 08-16-2016, 10:45 AM   #1060
nasser
Evangelist

Quote:
Eshwartz, Request you to give the lipc commands to open a book with:
1. The built-in reader
2. KOReader
Well, Eschwartz gave the command for the built-in reader in the other thread. He didn't know for KOReader.

Maybe KOReader experts here can give it?
Old 08-16-2016, 02:31 PM   #1061
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
^^

Which may well just be the KPVBooklet equivalent.

Although I assume the KOReader binary has some way of accepting the filename of an ebook too, even though it isn't lipc.
Plus whatever wrapping is necessary to kill the framework and give a clean KOReader experience, I imagine.

I shall leave that question to someone who has ever actually had KOReader installed on their Kindle.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 03:35 PM   #1062
CalbertAmu
Connoisseur
CalbertAmu began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Does koreader not index files? Assuming that it doesn't, I could save some storage space by not converting my books from Epub to Azw3, but instead simply copy the Epubs into the Documents folder.

Is it redundant to convert Epubs to Azw3 if I have Koreader?

Is Koreader capable of being a full time replacement of the default reader?
CalbertAmu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 03:43 PM   #1063
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalbertAmu View Post

Is Koreader capable of being a full time replacement of the default reader?
For me yes. It has been so since February when I jailbreaked my PW3. I mostly read EPUB (95%) and some six inches PDF.

You may need a little time to feel quite at ease with some specificities of Koreader. I had been used to Koreader before on a Kobo Glo.

Last edited by roger64; 09-16-2016 at 03:45 PM.
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 03:52 PM   #1064
knc1
Going Viral

I am pretty sure that it does not support the Amazon indices.

It is redundant if you have both versions on the device at the same time and use both readers.
KOreader does not read azw3, the default reader does not read epub.
KOreader does not index the book types it reads, the default reader does index the book types that it reads (or, at least some of those types).
So you have to define what is redundant in your use case.

KOreader does not handle Amazon collections, it does recognize the directory structure below /documents (which can be used to give a collections type of organization).

The default reader does recognize collections, but it has a "flat world" view of the directory structure under /documents.

Librarian Sync can build a collections database for the default reader from the directory structure that you have used to organize your KOreader documents.

Again, what do you consider your definition of "redundant"?
Old 09-16-2016, 07:01 PM   #1065
CalbertAmu
Connoisseur
CalbertAmu began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Most of the digital books I have are in epub and I used to convert them into azw3 before I got KOreader. All the books on my kindle are azw3. What I meant by redundant is that it's time consuming and unnecessary to convert my epubs to azw3.

Huge collections files take extremely long to both convert and index.

I now have to decide on two things:

1. Either keep converting things to azw3

2. Or move entire library back to epub, which will spare having to switch the programs to read between different formats, especially pdfs.
CalbertAmu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
application, k5 tools, kindle, koreader, launcher add-ons, lua, reader, touch