Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 08-29-2013, 06:43 PM   #1
SusiQ
Enthusiast
SusiQ began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 1
HD+ sd card question

Hi everyone! Bought a hd+ at an amazing price and love the 8.9 in size. But, I find I can't move apps to the sd card because it's "emulated" ? whatever that means? The external storage was the second advantage the hd+ offered. Any suggestions? Thanks to all for any help!

Susie
SusiQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:03 PM   #2
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Move to SD card was a stop-gap solution introduced in one of the earlier versions of Android (GB, maybe Froyo) and is no longer supported in current Android versions.

The idea is to use the SD card for media files (books, movies, ...) and the internal for apps and their data.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 07:45 AM   #3
SusiQ
Enthusiast

So basically, an N2A card would do me no good? Main thing I want to move is Calibre Companion, which of course, manages my books. *sigh* Thank you, afv011.

Susie
Old 08-30-2013, 08:38 AM   #4
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Actually, the n2a card might work for you, if you can get the biggest size (32gb?) and run it in the model you bought.

That's the reason I bought the 32gb HD+ and the 16gb HD......app space.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 11:40 AM   #5
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusiQ View Post
So basically, an N2A card would do me no good? Main thing I want to move is Calibre Companion, which of course, manages my books. *sigh* Thank you, afv011.

Susie
I haven't use Calibre Companion, but I would expect the app to not store the books in the app private data, but on a dedicated folder in the internal memory (virtual SD card), or the real SD card. The developers of Calibre Companion are on the forums, so they should be able to clarify, or anybody who's used the app.
Old 08-30-2013, 12:42 PM   #6
SusiQ
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Actually, the n2a card might work for you, if you can get the biggest size (32gb?) and run it in the model you bought.

That's the reason I bought the 32gb HD+ and the 16gb HD......app space.
Agreed, booklover! And the larger screen makes games a bit easier on the eyes, lol. So you think it might be worth a try then? Was planning on getting 32 gb. Love my nexus 7 in but the bigger screen and sd card made the nook irresistable at the price. Would have waited for the new kindles if I had any hope an sd card was going to be added.

Susie
Old 08-30-2013, 01:14 PM   #7
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
Quote:

Susie
Susi, CC lets you store its books anywhere on the device you want. Just go into Settings>Book formats and folders and specify the folder path you want.

Note that the internal non-removable storage for the HD and HD+ is called mnt/sdcard. The actual micro sd card is called mnt/ext_sdcard.

If your books are already in internal, after you specify a new patch to the micro sd card, CC will move the books there for you. You don't have to move anything yourself.

I have CC on my HD and all my books are on my micro sd card.

--Pat
PatNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 01:59 PM   #8
SusiQ
Enthusiast

Thank you, Pat! So do you think N2A would be worth the cost to try to move other large apps or will it not allow that?

Susie
Old 08-30-2013, 02:27 PM   #9
afv011
Captain Penguin

Quote:
Thank you, Pat! So do you think N2A would be worth the cost to try to move other large apps or will it not allow that?

Susie
Do you have a storage problem now? Unless you install several high end games, you are unlikely to run out of app space, unless you also store large media files in the internal storage. Moving apps is something that should no longer be necessary, with HC Android unified the storage for apps and everything else, so you no longer have a small partition dedicated to apps, the whole available space is shared between apps, their private data and the user data. Move to SD was introduced to solve the problem of having a dedicated partition for apps that eventually becomes too small - that no longer applies, and it sounds like you are looking for a solution to a problem you might not have.
Old 08-30-2013, 02:48 PM   #10
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Susie
Hi Susi, since you can put all your music, video and books on the sd card, I'm not sure why you would need the N2A. If you want the N2A to get pure android and/or jellybean, then by all means that's one route to go. With the N2A, you will have less overall storage space than if you simply used a regular micro sd card of the same size.

If you do want to go pure android/jellybean, then there are other ways to do it without having to use a micro sd card to boot off of. It involves flashing your ROM and replacing it with another. People here have experience with that. We can give you links to instructions. But if you're uncomfortable with that, and still want pure android/jellybean, then the N2A might be the easiest solution.

My HD is a 16gb. I have 198 apps/games on it right now. In the Nook's settings it says, only 25% of internal storage is used (or 3.43gb) and that I have 10.2gb free. Even if I put an additional 198 apps on my device (which I never expect to do) it would likely only take up another 25% at most, leaving me with 50% still free. So there is plenty of room on a 16gb device as long as you have an external sd card slot. From a space perspective, you don't need the N2A.

If you decide not to get the N2A or replace the ROM, there is one minor tweak you might want to consider. It simply modifies the existing ROM so that you can sideload apps that Google Play tells you are incompatible with your device because it lacks GPS. These apps include TV Guide, Yelp, Amazon Local, and some weather apps.

What I did with my HD is keep the native interface because I really liked it. But I did flash the ROM with the modification that enables me to sideload apps.

There are really a lot of routes to go with the HD/HD+, which is great.

--Pat
Old 08-30-2013, 02:50 PM   #11
SusiQ
Enthusiast

Thank you, afv011! I never understood the issue with sd cards but you've explained it beautifully! I'm worrying about a problem I don't have Thank you all so much!

Susie
Old 08-30-2013, 03:00 PM   #12
SusiQ
Enthusiast

Thank you as well, Pat! I did do something that allows me to get apps from Amazon, maybe same thing you are referring to. I use a different launcher (nova hd) that I am very happy with. I rally don't want to root or spend the xtra money as it defeats the beauty of the bargain I got on the hd+! You have all been a tremendous help! Will get a 32 gb card and live happily ever after, lol!

Susie

Last edited by SusiQ; 08-30-2013 at 03:03 PM.
Old 08-30-2013, 03:07 PM   #13
PatNY
Zennist

Susi, the modifications I was talking about are free. The only one that costs is N2A. But I'm glad you got everything settled with a launcher you like. A lot of people simply use a launcher over the existing interface and it works very well for them.

The HD/HD+ accepts cards up to 64gb, so you should never have a space problem with media.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:54 PM   #14
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Susie, sounds like you made a good decision. The Nook HD+ is absolutely fantastic for the prices they are going for now. I made the mod to mine so it has the Amazon App store now....what more could you want? I hope it lasts for years and years because never again will we find such a great tablet, with such great specs, at such low prices!

I use the ADW Launcher, and really, really like it. I run it on both the HD+ and my HD 7". I absolutely adore my Nook HD 7" that I got for $99. I could not ask for a better tablet for that price. It is so awesome for reading on!

I have not had success with Calibre Companion. I think I tried the free trial version? But couldn't connect. No matter....I find sideloading works better because I can get the series name and number in the title line, so I never get mixed up.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote