Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 01-18-2013, 10:08 AM   #1
shayt
shayt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shayt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shayt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shayt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shayt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shayt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shayt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shayt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shayt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shayt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shayt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
monitor the selling of an epub

Hi,

how can i know if my epub was sold without my knowledge ?

suppose i created an epub,
and i sell it an e-book store,

how can i know if my e-book was sold ?
maybe the store keeps 100% of the sell to themselves and they don't tell me that they sold it.

another option to this problem -
lets assume that there is an unfamiliar e-book store (which does NOT have a contract with me)
they buy one book from me, so now they have the epub, they change it a little (removing the buyer info from this copy)
and then they start to sell this epub by themselves, and again, keep 100% of the profit to themselves.

can i know about it someway,
can i protect my epub is some way ?

Thanks,
Shay
shayt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:11 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Moved to the Writers' Corner.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:37 PM   #3
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I'd think one thing you could do would be to Google it. Assuming you know which ebook stores work with your publisher if you do so and unfamiliar results come up that might give you a clue something is up.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:14 AM   #4
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by shayt View Post
how can i know if my e-book was sold ?
maybe the store keeps 100% of the sell to themselves and they don't tell me that they sold it.
Unless you have something in the contract that allows you to do an audit or similar, you can't.

If you don't trust the store, don't do business with them.
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:42 AM   #5
shayt
shayt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shayt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shayt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shayt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shayt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shayt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shayt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shayt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shayt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shayt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shayt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

ok, so it is a trust issue, not a technical one.

thanks.
shayt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:30 AM   #6
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:

thanks.
You can say that about most contract situations. If you actually need to pull out the contract then you're already in trouble. (I'm not suggesting you shouldn't have one, only that enforcing a contract is much harder than signing it.) You really need a reason to feel you can trust the other party before entering into a contractual agreement, which generally means some research first.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:53 AM   #7
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
You can say that about most contract situations. If you actually need to pull out the contract then you're already in trouble. (I'm not suggesting you shouldn't have one, only that enforcing a contract is much harder than signing it.) You really need a reason to feel you can trust the other party before entering into a contractual agreement, which generally means some research first.
Exactly.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:48 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:

thanks.
Trust has to form the basis of any business relationship. If you don't trust someone, don't do business with them.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:50 PM   #9
George Applegate
George Applegate began at the beginning.

Is it possible to buy (and/or maybe return) from another account to see if it shows up?
George Applegate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:08 PM   #10
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Applegate View Post
Is it possible to buy (and/or maybe return) from another account to see if it shows up?
Sure, but it's not all that reliable. If no sales show up, you know there's a problem. If one or more sales show up, you don't know whether yours is among them. All anyone trying to cheat the system has to do is avoid making it obvious. Lots of people, in many industries, have managed to earn good money by skimming off the top rather than pulling it out in bucketfuls.

Most of these businesses do have audit provisions, meaning that you can hire an auditor to go in and review the details. Most limit such intrusions in various ways, for example no more than once a year, and looking no further back than two years. I don't know how often these provisions are called upon in practice, but they are a good thing and something you should look for in your contract.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:51 AM   #11
animedude01
Addict
animedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheese

Device: DR1000S, ILIAD2, Nokia n900, Kindle for PC, Astak EZReader Pro
There's no absolute way of knowing. Of course, it's the same with physical books. There's no absolute way of knowing, short of selling them yourself.

If you can't trust your vendor/distributor/store, you should likely look for one that you can trust.

Audits only go so far and do cost money and if you sick an auditor on a company, how likely are they to do further business with you in the future? Just another data point to consider,

Cheers.
animedude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:01 PM   #12
cathalmc
cathalmc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cathalmc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cathalmc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cathalmc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cathalmc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cathalmc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cathalmc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cathalmc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cathalmc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cathalmc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cathalmc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I was paranoid about this around a year ago, considering how completely reliant I was on the integrity of ebook-selling websites. How could I know that Amazon or BookBaby or Smashwords were truly reporting accurate sales figures ...?

Of course, as soon as there is one accusation against these sites that they are misreporting sales for their own financial gain then they could experience a serious breach of trust worldwide. Depriving me of a few dollars would hardly be worth their reputation. And they make enough money already with that long tail of theirs.
cathalmc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sell